Round 1: Post your questions for Bobby King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
Any eta for Gottlieb ROM emulation? How is the emulation for Black Knight and early Bally machines coming?

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
Any eta for Gottlieb ROM emulation? How is the emulation for Black Knight and early Bally machines coming?

Yeah, from what I understand there are things missing from Black Hole, especially the sound when in the lower play field. Is this being worked on?

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I have a question about lighting. One of the most impressive things about real pinball tables is the lightshow, obviously this is difficult to reproduce and you have done a good job with the console versions. However due to the processing power needed the mobile versions do not have a real lighting model. Recently you updated the IOS version of Medievil Madness making the table darker as it was too bright previously but in doing so the playfield lights also got dimmed, however this did prove that there is a fair ammount that can be done by just updating the artwork. Do you have a long term plan to tackle each tables lighting ( on mobile ) as time goes on? I suppose you will get better at this with each new tables release so not requiring you to return to them later.

Last edited:

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
A question in regards to the developing process:
How long does developing a single table take untill it is submitted for approval and what are the steps that are taken from the moment someone says "Let's do Medieval Madness" to the moment the table is submitted to the platformholder.

Another Question
How many tables are already planned for future release, either confirmed or unconfirmed/unanounced.

night

May 18, 2012
I have a question about lighting. One of the most impressive things about real pinball tables is the lightshow, obviously this is difficult to reproduce and you have done a good job with the console versions. However due to the processing power needed the mobile versions do not have a real lighting model. Recently you updated the IOS version of Medievil Madness making the table darker as it was too bright previously but in doing so the playfield lights also got dimmed, however this did prove that there is a fair ammount that can be done by just updating the artwork. Do you have a long term plan to tackle each tables lighting ( on mobile ) as time goes on? I suppose you will get better at this with each new tables release so not requiring you to return to them later.

I second this; is it perhaps possible to add a two(?) option lighting mode, one 'normal' and an 'evening' mode? Evening mode has a lower environmental lighting and could bring out the electric lights better. This gives the tables a more dramatic overall feeling.
Like this for example; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0h-H5849XU

Last edited:

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
Yeah, from what I understand there are things missing from Black Hole, especially the sound when in the lower play field. Is this being worked on?

Despite the Pinball Arcade version not using the ROM, the lower playfield "whoosh" may be something outside the ROM since the VP version doesn't play it either. One interesting thing is that the sound only roms actually have completely different sounds.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Will we see support for Extra Ball Buy In, for games that support it? I hate looking at the high score tables, unable to knock those generic names off the buy-in score list. There were suggestions to use replays earned as credits for this, much like Pro Pinball did. Making separate local leaderboards shouldn't be too difficult, but if this is too difficult for online, just make using the feature disqualify the score.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Despite the Pinball Arcade version not using the ROM, the lower playfield "whoosh" may be something outside the ROM since the VP version doesn't play it either. One interesting thing is that the sound only roms actually have completely different sounds.

I heard these early tables used some sound from ROMs, while other sounds were hardwired. The TPA version does use the ROM, it's just that they were unable to emulate some of the sounds, or they weren't on the ROM, and weren't aware of that until they got their hands on a real machine.
As far as VPMAME not playing the sounds, this isn't surprising, as many early games, such as Berzerk, rely on samples, since the actual ROMs have not (or cannot) be emulated.

night

May 18, 2012
Please bring the wooden floor background, as seen on the consoles, to the iOS and burn that horrible blue planet carpet! It hurts my eyes..

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
Can they take that approach with Black Hole, the MAME sample approach? I know the MAME guys strive for perfect emulation so when they used samples, they still eventually corrected the game when they were able. So basically my question is, is Black Hole going to be like the real life machine or are we just going to have what we have?

amv71

Feb 29, 2012
Please tell me more about the Pinball Arcade Supporters Tournament. How will it work? What prizes are there? Is this a one off tournament as part of this Kickstarter project, or might this become a regular online event? Finally, will all platform scores be treated as one single tournament result, or will the results for each platform be treated separately? Thanks!

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
The cat's out of the bag with the promise of an operator's menu for a $100 donation. Why haven't we seen operators menus (or even table options) before, and will we see them in the future? Unlocking them as a reward for completing all table goals would also be much more of an incentive than turning the already generous Tilt off (disqualifying your score in the process). Pro Pinball style options to alter other table aspects outside of the realm of operator menus, such as incline, outlane adjustments, adding or removing posts, and even age and condition would also be nice to see.

Last edited:

karl

May 10, 2012
How many pinball machines are currently at your office? How many do you have room for? Are you going to sell or auction off some of the ones you have to make room for more? I know this years releases is probably almost sett in stone but will you possibly take polls regarding next years new tables? Hmm. I guess that is more than one question :) Anyway love your spirit, your tables so far, your involvement in the community and for being so calm and responsive to all the silly, stupid and ridicules questions on your facebook page. Just remember that for every rude comment there are 100 times that people who are in awe and are happy beyond words about what you are doing (maybe a bit over the top, but it's the way I am feeling)

Adam

Apr 5, 2012
First question...

Will the special Twilight Zone ball reward for Kickstarter donations be available to 360 users? The other rewards say 360 users are excluded from them, but not the ball.

Second question since I popped in PHOF last night...

What were you thinking when you guys made those ridiculous Wizard Goals for Jive Time? Do you really expect anyone to get 4 extra balls from the West Gate?

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
I heard these early tables used some sound from ROMs, while other sounds were hardwired. The TPA version does use the ROM, it's just that they were unable to emulate some of the sounds, or they weren't on the ROM, and weren't aware of that until they got their hands on a real machine.
As far as VPMAME not playing the sounds, this isn't surprising, as many early games, such as Berzerk, rely on samples, since the actual ROMs have not (or cannot) be emulated.

It was Farsight that told me the Pinball Arcade Black Hole doesn't use the ROM. That's why it's missing some speech samples and why the sound effects and background sound play at the same time (they don't on the real machine).

Last edited:

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
It was Farsight that told me the Pinball Arcade Black Hole doesn't use the ROM. That's why it's missing some speech samples and why the sound effects and background sound play at the same time (they don't on the real machine).

That's why they need to go with emulation, or just not do the table at all. Why didn't they use emulation in the first place.

Last edited:

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
Please bring the wooden floor background, as seen on the consoles, to the iOS and burn that horrible blue planet carpet! It hurts my eyes..

LOL-Good point!

Will you have optional backgrounds for iOS?
Some might prefer the Wood Floor-or even plain black.

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
The cat's out of the bag with the promise of an operator's menu for a $100 donation. Why haven't we seen operators menus (or even table options) before, and will we see them in the future? Unlocking them as a reward for completing all table goals would also be much more of an incentive than turning the already generous Tilt off (disqualifying your score in the process). Pro Pinball style options to alter other table aspects outside of the realm of operator menus, such as incline, outlane adjustments, adding or removing posts, and even age and condition would also be nice to see.

Op Menu unlock as a Goal incentive is a GREAT idea +1 for that! :)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Still a little time to get your first round questions in, but I'll probably close this up tonight or tomorrow and start the poll so we can get things rolling along.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I just lost another ball down the outlane in Theatre of Magic because it bounced too much off the stationary flipper. This bounciness is so bad, when the ball is ejected from the trap door and hits the stationary upraised flipper, it bounces 3/4 of the way to the top of the field. It shouldn't do that! This little physics imperfection is almost rendering that table unplayable, as it too often results in drains that otherwise should not happen. How much longer must we endure this madness?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts