Round 2: TPAF Audio Interview With Bobby King

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Yeah I think I could manage to download a Pinball Arcade 2.0 if they put one up (and even redownload all the tables like I had to do for Zen 2 for some reason : P). It would be really nice if they could do that and finally get table fixes in.

Love that they're working on difficulty settings but noooo I'll have to buy the Pro versions? Man, that's gonna add up, I ain't made outta money here : o

karl

May 10, 2012
Great interview. Lots of interesting news. Thanks Jeff.

We finally might get the kickstarter tables on pc next week, Yes,yes!

New tables tonight sounds good(and expected) Only problem with always getting new tables on Friday(Saturday morning over here) is that my first experience with new tables is always gonna be in a hangover state of mind ;-)

Also great to know that they are aware of nudging challenges on IOS/Android and a improvement in this department is on the their radar

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
"Camera zoom off? Very soon.
Nudging improvements in the works for mobile.
The carpet is toast for mobiles!"

Bang tidy!

"Difficulty settings in pro menu.
Same with physical settings."

These should have been included as part of the standard table purchase price.
Zen has executed this beautifully.
To do it as an add on seems greedy to me. Oh well.

Thanks Jeff and Bobby!

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
Thanks Jeff and Bobby for these talks! Much more fun to hear news this way =) Looks like PC will be the platform of choice, when it finally *is* released. I'm really looking forward to the Kickstarter build, since it will most certainly give us an idea of what to expect from the Steam version... Although it is a little puzzling to hear that PC was put on the backburner because they weren't sure of its future. I guess it all has to do with the size of the company. I work at a very small company as well and priorities are shifted on a daily / weekly basis. It's all down to management, right? :rolleyes:

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
Nice interview Jeff and Bobby, thank you!

Some good bits of news in there but I must say I’m very disappointed about the PS3 situation. It’s beyond me why tables weren’t properly tested for graphical issues knowing they can’t be adjusted afterwards. I’ll be looking at the PC version until there will be a PS4 version.

drdrey

Jun 11, 2012
Great interview thanks Jeff and Bobby. Would have been cool to hear about more upcoming tables.still awesome interview

N

netizen

It's an unfortunate issue with PS3 and the res files. I'm not totally sure I understand this.
Can't the users individually choose to delete and re-download "new" res files, if they know how, and get the benefit of updated table data with the game not forcing any different revision numbers. Similar to what Ryan does during the Beta cycles on Android?
This way there could be changes rolled out gradually and slowly with testing until the bugs were squashed and a "Code" package was pushed that would include the new res files to overwrite the old ones. :-/

This could maybe be a loophole on Sony's issues

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It's an unfortunate issue with PS3 and the res files. I'm not totally sure I understand this.
Can't the users individually choose to delete and re-download "new" res files, if they know how, and get the benefit of updated table data with the game not forcing any different revision numbers. Similar to what Ryan does during the Beta cycles on Android?
This way there could be changes rolled out gradually and slowly with testing until the bugs were squashed and a "Code" package was pushed that would include the new res files to overwrite the old ones. :-/

This could maybe be a loophole on Sony's issues

Yes, they can do this, and with what they were mentioning last time about a fix for Black Knight, that is exactly what they'd have to do. I think it's more of a Sony does not want them to ask customers to do just that, and FarSight wants to keep Sony happy since they've been promoting the game a lot.

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
Yes, they can do this, and with what they were mentioning last time about a fix for Black Knight, that is exactly what they'd have to do. I think it's more of a Sony does not want them to ask customers to do just that, and FarSight wants to keep Sony happy since they've been promoting the game a lot.

I really don't get why they don't ... for new customers the product would be fixed. For old customers that want to jump through as many hoops as they can for a best product they can have can do it. For those who don't want to or don't exactly know it's a option....worst case scenario is they have the product we are all already stuck with.
It's not the most convenient way to update the stuff but there is really no downside from the customer standpoint.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The downside is the perception of Sony and their PSN store. To the average customer that is. They go to a friends house, see a better looking TPA, ask why theirs doesn't look like that. Friend tells them all the steps needed to get new version, they respond with "that's stupid!" and say Sony should make it one button click like Apple would. Now they have negative feelings toward Sony, not FarSight.

I get it. I don't agree, but I get it. And that is why Zen did what they did, and everybody cheered. New front end, Marvel and Zen combined into one, better physics, stereoscopic support, tweaked graphics, and all free. A genius plan of marketing and customer support all rolled into one.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I was disappointed with Bobby's answer about ios achievements and possible replacement system in-app, ' well we have our goals '......hmmm. Strange thing is I emailed support about the achievement problem a few weeks ago and eventually got a response back saying ' we have something planned '.

cubemoss

Apr 12, 2013
Hey, great interview. Thanks for doing it! I just wanted to say something about the two-player feature mentioned, head-to-head. I'm not against this feature, but the two-player feature that I really want is just what you'd do if you and a friend are playing a two player game on a real table -- you take turns. While your buddy is playing, you hang out and watch them play. Then they lose their ball, and it's your turn. And you just hang out and shoot the breeze and maybe learn a thing or two from each other. Am I just crazy? To me this sounds like the most natural and realistic kind of two player.

Now the thing about the head to head feature with a goal is, you can't see what your friend is doing. And as my friend and I found out with this feature on Pinball FX2, there are ways to exploit it. Like on one table he discovered he could hit the score goal quicker just by intentionally draining the ball and hitting a fairly easy skill shot over and over. Not the way the game is really meant to be played. That's the kind of exploit that might be useable whether it's a specific score goal (first to 5,000,000 or something) or a time limit. Of course it might depend on if you can get extra balls, but you get my point I hope... it invites certain non-pinball types of 'games' to beat the system and get the win. Then you're depending on some kind of honor system, maybe, and, well... I guess I don't have to keep ramblin' about it.

Well, thanks for hearing me out and thanks again for the interview.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.