Season 8 wishlist

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
So it's almost July. Banzai Run was March. It's been 3 months and counting since we got a new table, even longer since we had any news about a new table.

I know they said new tables would be released even fewer than bi-monthly. I know this whole license issue threw a massive wrench in their plans and they've had to restructure everything across platforms. But seriously...

Where the hell is the next table?

How long have we known about Big Buck Hunter and Whoah Nellie? You know in the 20 months since Stern Pinball Arcade released only one new table, Ghostbusters, was added and that was 10 months ago. What happened with SPA and all their plans for new Stern tables?

They've lost their biggest revenue stream with WMS. They need to prioritize getting new content out ASAP.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
So it's almost July. Banzai Run was March. It's been 3 months and counting since we got a new table, even longer since we had any news about a new table.

I know they said new tables would be released even fewer than bi-monthly. I know this whole license issue threw a massive wrench in their plans and they've had to restructure everything across platforms. But seriously...

Where the hell is the next table?

How long have we known about Big Buck Hunter and Whoah Nellie? You know in the 20 months since Stern Pinball Arcade released only one new table, Ghostbusters, was added and that was 10 months ago. What happened with SPA and all their plans for new Stern tables?

They've lost their biggest revenue stream with WMS. They need to prioritize getting new content out ASAP.

SPA is being turned into a free-to-play model, where you earn 'coins' that will let you can eventually buy a table with. SPA VR is well on its way, I experienced Star Trek and AC/DC and they looked unbelievable. Bobby is also really pushing the idea that FarSight can go day and date with a modern Stern release, so that is a front they are also working on. They have prioritized, don't worry about their revenue stream.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
SPA is being turned into a free-to-play model, where you earn 'coins' that will let you can eventually buy a table with. SPA VR is well on its way, I experienced Star Trek and AC/DC and they looked unbelievable. Bobby is also really pushing the idea that FarSight can go day and date with a modern Stern release, so that is a front they are also working on. They have prioritized, don't worry about their revenue stream.

I'd be worried about losing their customer base. Been a long time since the last release. People have a short memory.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'd be worried about losing their customer base. Been a long time since the last release. People have a short memory.

I don't know, Zen sometimes would go 3-4 months with no new release. Not lately, but used to. Of course they would release other non pinball related games in the meantime, and I think that's sorta what FarSight is working on by having these other IPs.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
I don't know, Zen sometimes would go 3-4 months with no new release. Not lately, but used to. Of course they would release other non pinball related games in the meantime, and I think that's sorta what FarSight is working on by having these other IPs.

So far it's been 2 months since The Last Jedi came out. In a few weeks, it'll be 3 full months.

Can confirm this.

Maneki1972

Jun 11, 2018
I have a question for the staff and maybe they can answer this:

What I have noticed is this: The tables released to date have all been part of the first three generations of pinball: your electro-magnetic tables, your alphanumeric solid-state and your dot matrix solid state.

Some of the more recent tables like Jersey Jack's "Dialed in" has a full-color display, the backglass almost looks like a separate TV.

Are we going to have the technology for this kind of improvement?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I have a question for the staff and maybe they can answer this:

What I have noticed is this: The tables released to date have all been part of the first three generations of pinball: your electro-magnetic tables, your alphanumeric solid-state and your dot matrix solid state.

Some of the more recent tables like Jersey Jack's "Dialed in" has a full-color display, the backglass almost looks like a separate TV.

Are we going to have the technology for this kind of improvement?

FarSight is actively trying to make this a reality. The question is where on the screen will they find the real estate. Unlike JJP, Stern is essentially using a larger DMD than full backglass, but it’s still large.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
FarSight is actively trying to make this a reality. The question is where on the screen will they find the real estate. Unlike JJP, Stern is essentially using a larger DMD than full backglass, but it’s still large.

JJP's display is basically a large screen, like a computer monitor or TV. To have the whole thing fit on one screen is pretty much impossible, unless you're only showing the scores only. Either that, or get a button mapped to look up to the backglass...at your own risk ;)

Hate to say it, but a 2nd monitor is needed if you want the full display at all times.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
JJP's display is basically a large screen, like a computer monitor or TV. To have the whole thing fit on one screen is pretty much impossible, unless you're only showing the scores only. Either that, or get a button mapped to look up to the backglass...at your own risk ;)

Hate to say it, but a 2nd monitor is needed if you want the full display at all times.

I like the idea of a second screen that maybe pauses your playfield game when you switch to it. Perhaps just a simple score on the main screen like you said.

JJ screens confuse the hell out of me (too convoluted/busy) and I never look at them while playing any way

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Pause the playfield is VERY unnatural. Note the words "AT YOUR OWN RISK".

Future Pinball has this and exactly what's in my mind.

The vr version would work really well

(Just downloaded the universal classics tables for pinball fx2 vr ( out on PSVR today)

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Don't let that Pepto Bismol infested, worlds worst backglass wearing, god awful Premiere table anywhere near TPA!!

Played a genesis for the first time at our Rocky Mountain pinball Showdown in Denver a couple of weeks ago. Not a good first impression as the ball kept getting stuck behind the drop targets. Not sure if that was the only design flaw cause I couldn’t get past that one :)

Maneki1972

Jun 11, 2018
I just noticed that Iron Maiden and Aerosmith tables have full color LED/DMD displays. I guess my question is renewed.

I saw Aerosmith playing and was kinda unimpressed, but that stands from my not-very-deep-seeded dislike for the band in general. Iron Maiden on the other hand looks BOSS but since both have full color display, it looks like the 4th generation graphics are only a matter of time, and not if but when.

Members online

Members online