Request Share tables on Steam?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Steam allows you to share your games with other authorized users and devices. This means I can set up a family-friendly Steam account for my daughter, and she can use that login to play only games I deem okay for her, and she's blocked from making purchases and other stuff I don't want her doing. Or my wife can have her own Steam login on her MacBook and play games registered to my account that come with a Mac version.

Only trouble is, TPA DLC is locked to the Steam account. So while my daughter can run TPA, the only table she has full access to is TOTAN.

Is there any way that this can be overcome? I don't believe Steam allows two users to play the same game, registered to the same user, on two different devices at the same time - heck it doesn't allow the same user to be logged in on two separate devices at the same time. So I don't believe that there is a licensing problem with allowing this to happen.

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013
Have you actually tried this yet? According to the Family Sharing guide:

A guest will have access to the lender's DLC, but only if the guest does not also own the base game. Guests may not purchase DLC or in-game items for a base game they don't own. Any player may purchase, trade, earn, or otherwise acquire in-game content while playing a game, but in-game items cannot be shared between accounts. These items remain the property of the account that purchased or acquired them.

It sounds like it should work... Or maybe TPA being F2P means every user already "owns" it? Could purchasing DLC in-game versus through the store throw a wrench in things as far as recognizing what DLC is owned? I haven't tried family sharing myself.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Have you actually tried this yet? According to the Family Sharing guide:

It sounds like it should work... Or maybe TPA being F2P means every user already "owns" it? Could purchasing DLC in-game versus through the store throw a wrench in things as far as recognizing what DLC is owned? I haven't tried family sharing myself.

On Steam I'm pretty sure that purchasing tables counts as "in-game items". When you D/L the Steam client, it includes all the tables, you just don't have full access unless you've paid for 'em. Therefore I think I'm stuck. The content is still tied to the Steam login, and not the Farsight/TPA login - I tried running under my daughter's account with both my and her in-game logins, and the only table I had access to was TOTAN.

I've yet to try it with DLC, but since all the games I have DLC for are NSFK(ids) and are also blocked by Windows due to their certificates, that'd mean jumping through a few more hoops to test :)

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013
There are two different ways to purchase the DLC. You can do it in-game and pay with funds from your Steam wallet, or you can buy it through the Steam client/website and use whatever payment method you choose.

The wrinkle comes in with DLC bought in-game does not appear in the Steam client as purchased when you right click on a title in your library and look at its properties. It functions the same, but there is some backend difference. Steam can also remove a F2P title from their store (and your library) if you have not purchased DLC via the Steam client. In-game purchases will not keep a F2P game in your library if it is removed/delisted.

I'm just wondering if only buying DLC in-game with the wallet would cause issues with sharing it.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I bought all my tables via Season Passes which were purchased with a credit card via the Steam Client. No actual in-game purchases, ever, I've never even used Steam Wallet.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts