Should tournaments use BEST score or LAST score?

Should tournaments use BEST score or LAST score?

• Use BEST score. I always want credit for my high score on each table.

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Use LAST score. Having a little risk when trying to improve my score spices it up.

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • I'd like some of each. Some tournaments should use BEST score, some should use LAST score.

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I think last or as [MENTION=152]Sean DonCarlos[/MENTION] said. Papa tourney structure anything to discourage grinding a high score.

9u1d0

Jan 7, 2013
All sort of tournaments may be mixed. Time limited, best score, last score, only one ball game, no time limited, 4 tables, 8 tables, play all tables only once before you can retry any again. Etc.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
I still want the PAPA qualifying style scoring.

(For those unfamiliar: In PAPA qualifying style, you play each machine in a set once. After the end of the set, you can then accept or reject your scores, but you have to do it all or nothing - you can't pick and choose. You can repeat this process as many times as you like, but always replacing all your scores at the end of a set or replacing none of them.

The objective of this style is to reward consistently good play across a variety of machines, while eliminating the possibility of grinding table A until a good score is achieved, then table B and so on. It also emphasizes skill over amount of free time, as it is nearly impossible for a lesser-skilled player to string together enough consecutive above-average games necessary to "punch above his weight" no matter how much he grinds.)

I had no idea - that is a fantastic system!

whoozwah

Oct 30, 2014
I think last score is a better option. It encourages you to become a consistently better player moreso than using best score. With best score you can just spam a table until you have a good game. With last score you have to be confident in the score that you put up.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I think last score is a better option. It encourages you to become a consistently better player moreso than using best score. With best score you can just spam a table until you have a good game. With last score you have to be confident in the score that you put up.

+1.

And it would add some strategy (currently, it's just to wait the last day / last hours of the tournament to put a good score). With the last score, it will be better to put a good score as soon as you can.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
I agree that tournaments should have different ROM settings.

Tournament mode should be ON, and extra balls should be off.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.