Small world, TPA getting more known!

Captain Chris

Jun 6, 2012
Just thought this was cool so I wanted to post it.

I was at the boardwalk last night playing some pinball in one of the arcades. I was playing Spiderman when I heard a couple people next to me talking about TPA and the new table Whirlwind that came out for it. I got talking to one of them and it sounds like they both play and have gotten every table so far! :). The tables were pretty popular last night too which was nice to see, that particular arcade maintains their machines well. Just wanted to share. Anyone else have similar stories?

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
That's awesome! I have some friends that I've gotten into TPA as they loved pinball back when we were in college or whatever. When I've gone to Vegas I've asked people if they were familiar with it but never caught anyone else discussing it. Maybe they are even on this forum!

Numero Uno

Banned
Jul 16, 2013
That's great news! The more people buying the game, the more licensed tables will be digitized without having the need for a Kickstarter. Everybody wins!

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
I hear people talking about TPA whenever I'm talking with people who have an interest in pinball. I think the impression that most hardcore pinball fans dislike the digital versions is wrong.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I hear people talking about TPA whenever I'm talking with people who have an interest in pinball. I think the impression that most hardcore pinball fans dislike the digital versions is wrong.

I would love it if that were the case and it may very well be. However the gatekeepers of information largely have something against TPA. Pinballnews.com has never mentioned anything with it. That seems to be the biggest online pinball news website. It's weird, too because they've reported on physical virtual tables and tabels that run pinmame as well as products that allow modifications to original copyrighted programming. They seem to have something agains legitimate products perhaps?

There was also a forum somewhere and a lot of "diehard" fans (i.e. physical table owners) were all having a fit about TPA and upet at it existing. Maybe they wish to acquire more and afraid that a spike in popularity will drive prices up. I think this is what has gotten lost is that "diehards" are just table owners. I consider myself pretty diehard since I will make several long distance journeys to pinball museums or go out of my way to find a table when I am in a new city.

Personally I can't say enough good things about the game. Despite any bugs, I don't have the funds to buy physical tables. Maybe I could do a few but even if I did I would have no space for them. There are no places that have machines and the ones that do are not in great condition. I abhor these snobs that dislike it because the average fan just wants the chance to play and they certainly aren't inviting anyone into their house.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I heard a joke on a pinball podcast a few weeks ago that as soon as a new table is released in TPA the pricing on the real world counterpart skyrockets.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I heard a joke on a pinball podcast a few weeks ago that as soon as a new table is released in TPA the pricing on the real world counterpart skyrockets.

It's actually true for some of the pins. Gary Stern confirmed it with RBION.

Curlyhoward

Jul 17, 2013
Hey guys. 1st time poster here. Talk about a small world, I was in a parking lot at a mall last week and it was pissing down rain so hard that people were staying in their cars until the rains died down a bit. So, for me, what better way to kill a bit of time then by playing TPA. While I was playing I notice a guy ( parked beside me ) standing by my door looking in watching me playing TZ on my ipad. He taps on the window and I'm thinking "what could he possibly want? ". I put down the window a bit so I could hear him and ( while he's standing there soaking wet ) he says " pinball arcade is great isn't it? ". I laughed and said " ya, it's awesome ". He went on telling me about how Champions Pub just came out ( which I had just bought the day before ). We ended up talking for about 5 minutes. After he left, I was laughing thinking that this guy was so interested in talking pinball arcade that he was willing to stand in a torrential downpour to do it. Too funny.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Hey guys. 1st time poster here. Talk about a small world, I was in a parking lot at a mall last week and it was pissing down rain so hard that people were staying in their cars until the rains died down a bit. So, for me, what better way to kill a bit of time then by playing TPA. While I was playing I notice a guy ( parked beside me ) standing by my door looking in watching me playing TZ on my ipad. He taps on the window and I'm thinking "what could he possibly want? ". I put down the window a bit so I could hear him and ( while he's standing there soaking wet ) he says " pinball arcade is great isn't it? ". I laughed and said " ya, it's awesome ". He went on telling me about how Champions Pub just came out ( which I had just bought the day before ). We ended up talking for about 5 minutes. After he left, I was laughing thinking that this guy was so interested in talking pinball arcade that he was willing to stand in a torrential downpour to do it. Too funny.

Great example of TPA's gaining popularity.

Welcome to the forum!

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
When TBA first came out I was talking to a guy at a place in Niagara Falls that had three pins, we were playing Red & Ted's Roadshow, Terminator 2, and The Getaway High Speed 2. He was in the process of buying a Theater Of Magic table it is funny how a game can bring people together.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
I bought Taxi and Bride just because I loved them in TPA. I was searching for Space Shuttle but couldn't find one ;)

Talking about prices of machines, they all skyrocketed as pinball popularity grew the last year(s). Some machine's prices a just plain dumb, while others are worth it. If Stern or JJP sell more pins because of TPA it's a win-win situation :)

I have a diehard pinball friend, who plays quite ok (hehehe, na, he finished 20th at this years IFPA10, and is number 1 in Austria, so he is really, really good), who plays TPA for learning the rules of the tables, but he still complains about a certain lag on iPad/iPhone... Which I quite frankly just don't see or feel.

Anyway: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...1541910.127366.550916921587648&type=3&theater

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012

I'm sure this is true.

Hell, before PHOF came around, you could get a decent Pinbot or Taxi for a grand or less. Not anymore.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Sounds like FarSight should by multiple machines when they decide to do a table. Fix them up, then sell them when the prices go up to help fund more tables.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012

I just remembered... they were referring to Flight 2000 and they said that the price probably just went up by $1000 because TPA just announced it's coming in July.

N

netizen

Sounds like FarSight should by multiple machines when they decide to do a table. Fix them up, then sell them when the prices go up to help fund more tables.

Then the pinside crowd would have yet another reason to hate them.

It would be the pinball equivalent of insider trading ;)

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
Actually, it'd be smart for other people to buy up TPA machines as soon as they are announced, sell e'm a year later for big profit. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.