So what is your favorite table that you aren't very good at?

Nat-1969

Dec 27, 2014
So the TL;DR version is what table do you find most entertaining despite the fact that it is either challenging or you just lack skill to routinely achieve enough points to get a replay?

Long version: you fall into a wormhole and find yourself in the summer of 1985 standing outside the greatest arcade ever. It has every video game ever made (proprietor has access to wormholes too). For pinball it only has tables offered by TPA for some reason. You have 20 tokens in your pocket, when they are gone and your last game ends you are transported back to 2015 (after tonight). So how do you spend your day at the arcade and what pinball table are you most likely to play, even though you probably wont get a replay, thus cutting your time short.

For me (video game side of things)I would play some Gauntlet (unlimited play on easiest setting, only ever found one machine on easy but it was glorious) some Williams Bubbles (me and my friend Walter could play indefinitely until the game froze and we would get a refund)..Crazy Climber (oldie but goodie), Star Castle, Major Havoc, maybe a Super Mario Bros. (I was the first person I knew to beat game in arcade, one game lasted long time doing all acts) 1942, probably a few others I would kill to play when I saw them and remembered.

On pinball side would have to play an actual Medieval Madness, Attack from Mars, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Centaur and oh look somebody smuggled in an Eight Ball Deluxe!!!

And the one I would consider playing even though I seem to really suck or scoring is hard, Cactus Canyon. Game play is dandy and I do a variety of things, doesn't seem overly drainy, yet I can't seem to get close to 32 million points. I still have probably played less than 10 times and I will get better (and learn some things) but yes I am bad (or it is hard to score).

So, thanks for reading (or not) and how would you spend the day at the greatest arcade ever?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Video side: Super Locomotive (if anyone else at all remembers that one!!), Raiden 2, R-Type (which I would suck at, badly), 1942, Hyper Sports/Track & Field (try to break 8.00s for the 100m!!)

Pinball side: MM and AFM for sure, but they'd be popular, so I'd hang on Gorgar or Centaur or Firepower. Maybe I'd see if Goin' Nuts sucked as much in real life as it does in TPA!!

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Medievel Madness. I love it so much but I know I'll never beat Battle for the Kingdom. Heck, I've only reached it once. Only even played the video mode maybe three times. I kick major butt on its brother AFM, but MM, nope.

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
Video side: Super Locomotive (if anyone else at all remembers that one!!), Raiden 2, R-Type (which I would suck at, badly), 1942, Hyper Sports/Track & Field (try to break 8.00s for the 100m!!)

Pinball side: MM and AFM for sure, but they'd be popular, so I'd hang on Gorgar or Centaur or Firepower. Maybe I'd see if Goin' Nuts sucked as much in real life as it does in TPA!!
-----
For me, it's "Diner". ;)

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
im not very good at big shot but I still play it a few times a week. I like f2k but rarely have a good game on it (mostly due to the ultra sensative tilt) and last but not least space shuttle. I can do fairly well on it as long as I am always prepared for the cheap drain from the bumpers to the right outlane.

to the original poster. I loved crazy climber.

Nat-1969

Dec 27, 2014
Lately I'm loving some Haunted House. I love the theme, the music, the table art. I mean even the carpet is haunted. But man this game is hard. I can't even sniff any of the wizard goals. And there is a reason nobody played this in the arcade..$5 in quarters wouldn't make for an afternoon. If there was ever a table that needed a sequel to be re-imagined it should be Haunted House.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Haunted House is one of the very few tables that might be harder in TPA than on the real table. Reason is TPA's flippers are way too strong making the ball far too fast and jumpy. And a real machine allows much better nudging around that extra outlane between the right-side flippers. Also, the level changing is much more visceral on a real machine than a computer screen. By most accounts, HH did fine in the arcades, it's TPA's conversion that ruined it.

Nat-1969

Dec 27, 2014
Haunted House very well was a success in the arcade, everyone had to try it at least once. But I remember that machine was always vacant at my arcade. But yeah I can see it maybe being a little harder than it should be on TPA.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I remember always being disappointed when playing HH. I kept expecting it to be better than I remembered whenever I dropped money in it.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I just discovered a new one. Fish Tales. It kicks my butt so hard I stopped playing it for a long while. Having just played it again, I realize how much I love it. Too bad those slingshots are such pure evil.

Nat-1969

Dec 27, 2014
Yeah I agree Fish Tales is hard, but I still don't like a whole lot about it. One of two tables I can't get a single wizard goal (the other being HH, plus can't get the 180 sec standard goal on Goin Nuts). The only thing I can seem to hit is the boat loops. Every other shot seems like it randomly bounces off zero point rubber and makes a beeline for the outlanes.

Trenchbroom

Apr 20, 2013
Video: I would gorge myself on any classic that you cannot play properly in MAME. So all of the vector monitor games (Tempest, how I miss you! ), unique controls (Paperboy, Outrun in the "moving" sit down version, Fire Truck with the front and rear steering wheels and Atari Football with the trackballs), etc.

Pinball: anything with lightning or banana flippers.

Nat-1969

Dec 27, 2014
Oh yeah I forgot Paperboy..saw an old Paperboy for sale, only $2000. There was actually a nice version (exact copy) on PS2, also came with Gauntlet. Of course it still wasn't the same without the handlebar controls. The Gauntlet was awesome too, I had a joystick add-on for PS2 so it was just as cool as the arcade.

Nothing like getting all the way to Sunday on Paperboy and getting the thick Sunday paper to toss

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I could never get far in Paperboy. Tempest, on the other hand, I have one in my house. Just can't duplicate that weighted spinner any other way.

Nat-1969

Dec 27, 2014
Paperboy was kind of a let down..the game actually ended if you completed Sunday. Of course there were harder difficulty than Easy Street but there was something just wrong about a game ending and having lives remaining. I really sucked at Tempest but yeah worth 25 cents to spin the spinner

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.