So...what'd ya buy in the Steam Summer Sale?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Steam Summer Sale, what'd everyone pick up?

I decided to replace my pirated copies of Portal 2 and Tomb Raider 2013 with the real deal. Picked up Portal 2 for $5, then was about to get Tomb Raider for $4 when I noticed the Tomb Raider collection for $16. Total nostalgia bomb goes off in my head, and I'm like, "I must play TR 1-3 again! And I never finished Last Revelation, and got into other games and completely skipped the rest until the reboot. Buy, buy, buy!"

I was real tempted to pick up Lego Batman collection, Lego Harry Potter, and Lego LotR. Then I realized, I like playing those on a DS, not a PC or computer. Plus I now have all these Tomb Raider games, so I'll just wait. Maybe Humble Bundle will have a killer deal on them eventually.

So now I'm doing the laborious process of downloading, which takes forever when the top speed of your internet is 3 mbps. Took 12 each for Portal and TR. I'm also discovering that most of the Tomb Raider games, being 15-20 years old, require a massive amount of hoops to jump through to even get them running on a modern computer. I thought getting the GTA games running was a pain, these thing's installs are their own puzzle game! Took about 2 hours of searching and collecting to finally get Tomb Raider 1 to run, have good resolution, and work with a controller. Only 8 more of 'em to install!

My nostalgia makes me think it'd be easier to just hook my PS2 back up.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Kung Fury: Street Rage
Rollers of the Realm
Audiosurf
Battleblock Theatre
Shatter

Wavefront (afterward; 96% off)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I was going to buy a game or three.

BUT THEN ROAD SHOW HAPPENED.

Yeah, it did kinda happen, didn't it? That's the problem with this game...every time I just start getting into some other game, a new table comes out that demands my attention!

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Steam Summer Sale, what'd everyone pick up?

I decided to replace my pirated copies of Portal 2 and Tomb Raider 2013 with the real deal. Picked up Portal 2 for $5, then was about to get Tomb Raider for $4 when I noticed the Tomb Raider collection for $16. Total nostalgia bomb goes off in my head, and I'm like, "I must play TR 1-3 again! And I never finished Last Revelation, and got into other games and completely skipped the rest until the reboot. Buy, buy, buy!"

I was real tempted to pick up Lego Batman collection, Lego Harry Potter, and Lego LotR. Then I realized, I like playing those on a DS, not a PC or computer. Plus I now have all these Tomb Raider games, so I'll just wait. Maybe Humble Bundle will have a killer deal on them eventually.

So now I'm doing the laborious process of downloading, which takes forever when the top speed of your internet is 3 mbps. Took 12 each for Portal and TR. I'm also discovering that most of the Tomb Raider games, being 15-20 years old, require a massive amount of hoops to jump through to even get them running on a modern computer. I thought getting the GTA games running was a pain, these thing's installs are their own puzzle game! Took about 2 hours of searching and collecting to finally get Tomb Raider 1 to run, have good resolution, and work with a controller. Only 8 more of 'em to install!

My nostalgia makes me think it'd be easier to just hook my PS2 back up.

I played Tomb Raider 2013 on my XBox 360, later got it on my PC (Cause the graphics are awesome on PC), but found the shaky cam on PC caused me to feel sick playing it. I've never been motion sick or felt sick playing a game before. Was really disappointed I couldn't disable it.

I didn't get anything on Steam, been too busy playing Elder Scrolls Online these day. My wife however did get Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas and is loving it. Still surprised I got her to play Fallout. =)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I played Tomb Raider 2013 on my XBox 360, later got it on my PC (Cause the graphics are awesome on PC), but found the shaky cam on PC caused me to feel sick playing it. I've never been motion sick or felt sick playing a game before. Was really disappointed I couldn't disable it.

I didn't get anything on Steam, been too busy playing Elder Scrolls Online these day. My wife however did get Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas and is loving it. Still surprised I got her to play Fallout. =)

Interesting, considering how averse to shaky cam I am in movies, and didn't even notice it in this game. My favorite sequence, hands down, is when she is descending down the gondola lines and barely hanging on. Very cinematic, pumped me full of adrenaline. I'm bummed the new game won't be coming to PC until after the Xbone exclusivity period. I love Uncharted, and this is as close to that I'm gonna get on PC. Not having a PS4 is going to hurt while Xbone has TR, and they have new good times with Nathan Drake, while me and my PC cry.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015

I go nuts with Mods playing those games that support it. Have been a small time modder and big time user for donkey years, for me it is the only way to play these games - brings so much more but in the end makes them impossible to really finish as you just got to tryout one more thing, one new character etc...

I got a bunch on the Summer Sale, and I too got Tomb Raider 2013 since I heard allot of good about it. Shaky cam could affect you differently with an other monitor and more light in your surrounding.

And SYT, shaky cams in movies can not be categorized as one word really. Look at the chase scene in Seven (David Finch), when Brad Pit is running they use a shaky cam, when following Kevin Spacey it is smooth - that is a great effect.
Gawd I love the art of cutting and producing :)

invitro

May 4, 2012

I enjoyed Tomb Raider quite a bit in January. I think it's an ideal on-sale game... nowhere near deep enough to justify the retail price, but very, very fun in many shallow ways. Getting all the collectibles was a blast. The story and dialogue are moronic. Its good/bad points are much like Far Cry 3, to me. The opposite of TPA. And I'm a bit of a pervert I guess, but Lara in this game is probably the most... appealing character of any PC game ever. I don't mind waiting for after the exclusivity period of the next game, as long as it's at least as good as TR2013.

I'm thinking about giving ESO a try. I read a bunch of reviews hoping to see if it's improved much since release; they weren't very illuminating. I hated it in the brief time I played its beta. In youtubey the graphics look pretty terrific.

Fallout 3 & NV are of course all-time classics :). I'm gonna have to save up if I'm gonna get Fallout 4 and Starcraft at launch. It looks like 2015 may be a great year for PC games, with TPA leading the way of course.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
And SYT, shaky cams in movies can not be categorized as one word really. Look at the chase scene in Seven (David Finch), when Brad Pit is running they use a shaky cam, when following Kevin Spacey it is smooth - that is a great effect.
Gawd I love the art of cutting and producing :)

That's not shaky cam, it's just hand held! Now you can go back as far as NYPD Blue and see what long lens hand held annoying camera work looks like, but that is still not the culprit of the shaky cam in action movies. All that is, and I've heard it on set before and just wanna smack the director, is "adding energy" to a scene. Translation: the dialogue is so boring, we need to stimulate the audience's senses with something else.

No the main catalyst for shaky cam becoming what is actually 'Chaos Cinema', is when Paul F**king Greengrass took over on the second Bourne movie. The first one was beautiful, and the action was clean and precise. It had brutality in its efficiency. Then come mister documentarian who thinks we need to be part of the action, and goes and makes a movie that is exceedingly difficult to watch, despite having a fantastic script. Movie is a hit, suddenly every action movie is filmed the same way.

Nobody wants to be in the middle of a fight. So why film it that way? In order to ramp up tension, the audience needs a sense of geography, where the hazards and escapes are. Instead we get camera work that is so close to the action, we can't even tell who is throwing the punch, good guy or bad. We get car chases that are the equivalent of somebody just throwing broken glass at you with the sound of crunching metal. I spoke with some guys that worked on those 2 Bourne films, and they actually had a device they mounted to the camera lens that got turned on and caused vibration! That's just silliness! Pisses me off they went and hired Paul again for another Bourne film, because I honestly do love the stories and will go in knowing I'll hate the camera work.

SYT, do you know about Mad Max The Game?
It's 3rd person like Tomb Raider & Uncharted.

Speaking of good camera work...

Yeah, I heard about the game. I like what I've seen. I love the Burnout series, love GTA, and of course Uncharted/Tome Raider. This to me looks like the love child of all of those. Hopefully it's good.

Ya know what sucks? So Aliens is my favorite movie of all time. I love the entire Alien universe, though the less said about Resurrection the better. Anyways, point being I love it to death. The suck part is there is no way in hell you'll catch me playing Alien: Isolation. On top of sucking at first person shooters, I loathe horror games. I've gotten as far as my 3rd encounter with a Big Daddy in Bioshock and had to put the controller down. I saw footage of Isolation from when they were going to have it be 3rd person, and I probably would have given that a shot, but no way in hell with 1st. I need to just watch someone play all the way through, treat it like a movie! Then I'd be fine. Because my friend showed me the opening of it on his 40" 4K balls to the wall rig, and I so wanted to know the story. Then he had me play for 5 minutes and I was done. Done, and that wasn't even seeing a damn alien!

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
That's not shaky cam, it's just hand held! Now you can go back as far as NYPD Blue and see what long lens hand held annoying camera work looks like, but that is still not the culprit of the shaky cam in action movies. All that is, and I've heard it on set before and just wanna smack the director, is "adding energy" to a scene. Translation: the dialogue is so boring, we need to stimulate the audience's senses with something else.
<snip>

Guess we agree then :cool:

Also bought Civilization 5; that gonna sink some hours...
But when will I have time, I must practice for the Blahcade Tournament...

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I enjoyed Tomb Raider quite a bit in January. I think it's an ideal on-sale game... nowhere near deep enough to justify the retail price, but very, very fun in many shallow ways. Getting all the collectibles was a blast. The story and dialogue are moronic. Its good/bad points are much like Far Cry 3, to me. The opposite of TPA. And I'm a bit of a pervert I guess, but Lara in this game is probably the most... appealing character of any PC game ever. I don't mind waiting for after the exclusivity period of the next game, as long as it's at least as good as TR2013.

I'm thinking about giving ESO a try. I read a bunch of reviews hoping to see if it's improved much since release; they weren't very illuminating. I hated it in the brief time I played its beta. In youtubey the graphics look pretty terrific.

Fallout 3 & NV are of course all-time classics :). I'm gonna have to save up if I'm gonna get Fallout 4 and Starcraft at launch. It looks like 2015 may be a great year for PC games, with TPA leading the way of course.

I love ESO. I probably shouldn't admit to this, but I'm somewhere over 1000 hours into it. The game has massively improved since beta. Back in April or May they allowed anyone who played the beta to come back and play that weekend for free to see how much it changed, shame you missed that.

Elder Scrolls have been my favorite games of all times, so I may be a bit biased. =)

As for Tomb Raider, Just taking a step forward and the camera shakes and wobbles all over. Was really bummed cause I loved it and it looks so great on my PC with everything up on ultra.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Mike, are talking about right at the beginning of Tomb Raider?Because she's all jacked up and they want you to feel that. Once the game gets going though...

I mean I was killing it with the bow, and no way would that have happened with things wobbling all over.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Mike, are talking about right at the beginning of Tomb Raider?Because she's all jacked up and they want you to feel that. Once the game gets going though...

I mean I was killing it with the bow, and no way would that have happened with things wobbling all over.

My game might be broken cause that shaking won't go away, after killing the deer, camping, etc. I take a step forward and the camera wobbles.

Members online

Members online