PC - Request Sound option seperate for physics and table sfx

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
It would be awesome to control the physic sounds like flippers, bumpers, ball movement etc. seperately from the tables sfx like speech and sounds.
I really like the physics a bit louder to get a more realistic feel, but on some tables the speech sfx just kills my eardrums if I do that (white water, black knight).
So it would be great if you coul implement that in the future releases.

Or maybe this can already be tweaked in the table settings???

Last edited:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
nope, the sfx slider also affects the speech and original table rom sfx. or am I mistaken here?

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
That's how I remember it. From memory (it's been a while since I delved into the PC's sound options) they're as follows:

SFX volume: For all physical sound effects (flippers, slingshots etc.) and table sound effects (callouts, target sounds)
In-game music volume: For any of the streamed music in the game, either regular looped background music, or special music that plays for more than a second or two.
Menu music: Obvious :p

I'd often like to crank the actual table effects and drop the machine volume, but you can only drop the machine's *music* volume. All the emulated sounds should be in one category, with physical sounds being in another.

Vegard

Jan 2, 2014
While at it, please update the physical sounds, particularly the flippers, to todays standard. I can sorta understand why the machine sounds are low quality, but there's no excuse for the terrible physics sounds. Though I will add that I really like the bumper sounds; they have much more oomph than in the Williams Challenge.

This would be such a fantastic game if the graphics and sounds were up-to-date. Just look at Pinball FX2; the presentation there is stellar. Unfortunately, the physics are terribly unrealistic, nudging is practically non-existent and the tables are boring compared to the real ones in PA. However, I still play it now and again - because of the superior texture / sound quality, and the ability to play it at 120/144 fps (PA is locked at 60) for ultra smooth action.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
While at it, please update the physical sounds, particularly the flippers, to todays standard. (...)

Hell yeah, I second this. I think Future Pinball sounds better and it adds so much to the game.
unfortunately Farsight told us recently on Facebook that they are happy with their sounds. I don't find the post anymore...

Last edited:

night

May 18, 2012
Zaccaria does have good sounds as well, Revenge of the Rob-o-Bot is great also. It does indeed add a lot to the realism of pinball.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
While at it, please update the physical sounds, particularly the flippers, to todays standard. I can sorta understand why the machine sounds are low quality, but there's no excuse for the terrible physics sounds. Though I will add that I really like the bumper sounds; they have much more oomph than in the Williams Challenge.

This would be such a fantastic game if the graphics and sounds were up-to-date. Just look at Pinball FX2; the presentation there is stellar. Unfortunately, the physics are terribly unrealistic, nudging is practically non-existent and the tables are boring compared to the real ones in PA. However, I still play it now and again - because of the superior texture / sound quality, and the ability to play it at 120/144 fps (PA is locked at 60) for ultra smooth action.
Ugh, same. The flippers sound nowhere near as meaty as they should, and I agree that even something like Zaccaria sounds fantastic by comparison.

Ball roll and other sounds should be made more prominent as well, but the flipper sounds are the most frustrating. Not asking for them across all platforms, but at least PC and PS4 should be capable of better quality SFX.

Vegard

Jan 2, 2014
Hell yeah, I second this. I think Future Pinball sounds better and it adds so much to the game.
unfortunately Farsight told us recently on Facebook that they are happy with their sounds. I don't find the post anymore...

Oh well, was worth a shot, I guess.

Ugh, same. The flippers sound nowhere near as meaty as they should, and I agree that even something like Zaccaria sounds fantastic by comparison.

Ball roll and other sounds should be made more prominent as well, but the flipper sounds are the most frustrating. Not asking for them across all platforms, but at least PC and PS4 should be capable of better quality SFX.

Yeah, I doubt they'd improve the sounds only for PC / PS4 though, when the texture quality looks to be the same on all platforms. I've heard iOS is their biggest platform as well, for some reason. Why anyone would prefer PA on a small screen with touch controls over PC / console with much more responsive controllers, I do not know. I tried PA on my friends Nexus last weekend, and while it is still fun - it just can't compare. Nudging is really awkward as well.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
Mike Reitmeyer mentioned the following about cabinet mode on PC:
The cabinet we have has 6 speakers. I'd like to set it up so the 2 backbox speakers play the table sounds, while the other 4 play mechanical sounds based on position. Have to do some tests to see how that sounds.

If he does indeed implement that then there should be a way to alter the sound mix.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Mike Reitmeyer mentioned the following about cabinet mode on PC:

If he does indeed implement that then there should be a way to alter the sound mix.
Oh god, I'd never considered anything like surround sound for TPA, but that's an amazing idea! They could even implement it into "virtual surround" on portable devices. Just adjust whatever reverb/delay/tone needs to be adjusted for each sound depending on where it is on the table and they're done. No extra calculations, just a new table download.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.