Southern-Fried Gameroom Expo

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
Back from SFGE 2015, and it was a, IMHO, a pinballers paradise! I got to play, among many others, a 1978 Bally KISS (and the version that isn't allowed in Germany due to the "SS" in KISS that is stylized as lightning bolts), a 1992 Williams Doctor Who, and the Holy Grail (for me...), a 1977 Bally Eight Ball. Why the denotation? Read my blog to find out. And I checked the back of the machine, too.
There were more than thirty of the TPA tables there, including the newest one, Red & Ted. This time, TheWife came along. She isn't much on pinball, or for that matter, any electronic type game. But she stood there for a few games, then said why not. She began, as most novices do, double flipping at every shot. But as she played more, and different tables, she began to break away from that and move into a more relaxed form. She made some incredible saves by individually flipping. She made a killer stop, cradling the ball at the tip of the flipper, then rocket like, sending it back to the top of the game.
I took quite a few pictures while I was there, but since I'm not allowed to post pictures her, if someone would be so kind as to send me instructions on how to post a link so I can download the pictures I have, along with a video or two.
Those that live in the Atlanta area, if you didn't go you missed a fun time. Now if you take your 'balling way too seriously, the tables in the general area weren't for you. There was PAPA approved tourneys, the machines used were at the proscribed angle of drop, in perfect working order. I stuck my head in the door, and saw players with patches on their vests, headphones on, and the steely (sorry...) look in their eyes. I knew that wasn't for me.
I got to meet Billy Mitchell. For those of you than don't know, he was the first person to achieve a perfect score on Pac-Man, and has been called "probably the greatest arcade-video-game player of all time". He also owns a chain of restaurants. You couldn't miss the man, decked out in all white. He's gotta be 6'4, that alone would cause him to stand out.
Anyway, maybe this shoulda been a blog, and I just might post one later. But for now, here it is.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.