Southern-Fried Gameroom Expo

This weekend, I had the opportunity to spend some time at the Southern-Fried Gameroom Expo. It was the result of a successful Kickstarter project that I participated in.
While billed as a gaming convention, and there were a few machines other than pinball at the convention, my reasons for attending were to see some of the new machines out, buy a table for my own use and play pinball until I could no longer raise my arms.
This was a chance to play some of the games we play in TPA. "Attack From Mars" was there, "High Speed", "Circus Voltare", "Bride of Pin-Bot" was there too. "Cue Ball Wizard", "Black Rose", "Scared Stiff", "Medevial Madness", "Gorgar" and "T2" and more.
It had been a long time since I've played on an actual pinball machine. TPA plays like a brand-new game with fresh rubber all around. The tables at the expo looked and played like games that were well played. Some didn't look like they were 40+ years old. Some that were new played like as though they were much older.
As with anything else, the longer it's been since you've done something, the better you were at it, and I was more rusty than I thought. But, as the day wore on, I began to use tricks learned in TPA to their physical counterparts. Traps, passes, ramps shots, all helped me put up scores I'm proud of.
I had a chance to play one of the tables that's been buzzing (sorry, couldn't resist...) in the forum, "Bram Stoker's Dracula". Designed in part by Barry Oursler (who attended the expo), the game was fun to play. I liked the Mist Multiball, it was different from a regular multiball. BSM would be a great addition to the TPA stable.
They're creepy and they're ookie, and the best selling table, "The Addams Family" pinball was there. It too has been a topic in the forum. While many people like it, the table seems a bit crowded with all the toys. That said, I'd back a Kickstarter project for "TAF" and "BSM".
I saw an interesting table. It combined pinball with video games. Almost the size of a regular pinball machine, it would reproduce the physical table, and was very realistic. I didn't get a chance to ask the gentleman any questions, but I believe I heard him say the current table on the machine, "Attack From Mars", was a download. For those out there more knowledgeable than I, would it be possible to have a full-size table, then have it connected to the Internet, and play many different tables, like TPA does now? I would think an invention like that would either mean the resurgence of pinball or it's death knell.
One thing I noticed was the amount of four player tables being played by one person. At every table I played, I made sure I looked around to see if anyone wished to play instead of just standing there. In almost every instance, there were a couple that said yes. And, as one player was at the flippers, the others small-talked. I got to spend time with people I'll never see again. We cheered the saves and great shots and groaned when the ball drained. But the four of us seemed to orbit around similar tables, and always asked if each wanted to play. Those that shook their head no or walked away silently missed out.
There was a PAPA circuit tournament, quals were done Friday and Saturday. Finals were on Sunday, I've not heard who won. I can tell you who did not, me. There were most definetly highly-skilled players in the tournament area.
As I was there mainly for the pinball, I can't tell you about the seminars that were held, or the movies that were shown. I'm sure they were as good as the expo advertised. Maybe next year I'll make the time to see them.
I left the expo having accomplished two of my three tasks. My arms were throbbing. My wrists felt like they were in vises being crushed.
My quest for a pinball machine continues...

No new high scores to post.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
i believe what your looking for is virtual pinball buzz its a pc application that can scale from your laptop or desktop pc to full scale reproduction virtuals machines its abiut 15 years old and quality varies but yiu can play most tables youll never see in toa. ems ss even orgional table deigns google virtual pinball and search for it in the forum, if you need any help ehhh gimmie a buzz...ewwww

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
just thinking buzz if yiur handy with wood work and can change a plug you could buget a virtual machine for maybe 1500-2000 at a quick guess one table to play them all...plus it doesnt break down lol well not that much

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
Heretic-I went searching like you said and found a website "Dave's Classic Arcade" <www.davesclassicarcade.com> and there's a complete DIY project for a virtual pinball machine. The component list is laid out, a step-by-step on what to do and a cost breakdown. Did you know there is a virtual pinball plunger? Works just like a regular one, except this one senses how far back the plunger is pulled, and sends the virt ball accordingly. Unbelievable. Anyway, total project cost was $1624.23 but that was in 2012. So your $1500-2000 is accurate. I am really considering this as a way to keep meself busy. Thanks very much for the direction!

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
anytime, tabkes are also free to download but again quality will vary you may have issue eith some oc setup but me and the forum will help man, good luck on the aeventure, wish i could cut a plank in half id have one myself heh

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
and btw yeah those plungers are oretty nifty some come with built in nudge fucntion, needs a sturdy build for a beer game tho hah

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
as a wide not with abit of learning you can attempt to create your own tables

lol i douvt mrs buzz will allow more than one this is the best of both worlds and can be impvoed in time in look and feel if your good with frames itd could even double as a arcademachine but thats getting ahead of everything.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
i want details oictures if you take the first steps to the last! make a thread about it! itll get stickied on top oage heh

Eaton Beaver

Jan 25, 2014
I heard about the virtual pin table at the expo on the Coast 2 Coast pinball podcast. The host said he played Attack From Mars on it but there was an issue with the flippers reacting slowly. I honestly think I could never bring myself to purchase just one pinball table or arcade game. I would probably also be inclined to buy a virtual pinball table and a MAME arcade machine. I really think The Pinball Arcade is a great value and I would also gladly pay a game company to make arcade titles for one big collection of video games. I have bought Midway Arcade and Capcom Arcade and own all the games for both.

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
EB-I wish I'd known someone would be listening, I'd thrown a shout-out to them! I stood next to the area they did the podcast from for a while, talked to the guys too. I really hope the expo does even more next year. I think I went down there with an expectation that may not have been able to be attained. There was a group, but it was a younger group, and one that had interests that I've outgrown.
Do you really think you would get more than one game? If the virtual pinball worked like a real one, as responsive as it should be, that would be it for me. That is, as long as it allowed me to download all the games I wanted.

Members online

Members online