Request Star Trek original series DATA EAST

ryzombie619

Feb 20, 2014
I don't hear this table talked about a whole lot, but I love it!

I used to play it all the time during my college years in Boise, Idaho at this incredible arcade bar downtown. I found it to be an excellent table with great artwork, amazing sound effects, and a fun gameplay. I think it's a must to compliment the Star Trek TNG table up there. If the TNG table was acquirable, I don't see why this Data East Star Trek table would be an issue. It does have Nimoy and Shatner on it though, so maybe that would be an issue?

Does anyone else enjoy this table? As a Star Trek fan, I think it is a great table.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Eh, it's ok, but it's one of those crappy early 90s Data East machines where you just shoot the ramps all day. Art looks decent, but I don't think the cost to release the table is worth it.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I think it is a great table with awesome sounds and music. Plus it is real Star Trek rather than the 'yellow coloured' rubbish that followed from 'The Next Generation' onwards - just what was that all about?

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Absolutely want this table. Even though I'm a fan of both Star Trek and Steve Ritchie, neither of his ST games do anything for me. This one, on the other hand, I can play all day.

ryzombie619

Feb 20, 2014
Absolutely want this table. Even though I'm a fan of both Star Trek and Steve Ritchie, neither of his ST games do anything for me. This one, on the other hand, I can play all day.

I think the combination of the sound effects and the artwork really does it for me. And don't even get me started on the part of the game when everything is going crazy and the soundtrack to the original series starts up...oh my god is that moment amazing.

ryzombie619

Feb 20, 2014
Eh, it's ok, but it's one of those crappy early 90s Data East machines where you just shoot the ramps all day. Art looks decent, but I don't think the cost to release the table is worth it.

Really? And Starship Troopers and Frankenstein were? How many people even saw Frankenstein?

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Really? And Starship Troopers and Frankenstein were? How many people even saw Frankenstein?

Those tables were released because they were Columbia / TriStar movies, which were released by Sony, which Pinball Arcade gained a deal with them to rerelease a certain number of tables.

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
Sorry, the theme is cool and all, but this has to be one of most boring tables I've ever played. Steve Richie did a much better job when it comes to Star Trek.

It's a lot like Doctor Who, people requested it a lot just because of the theme, not the actual gameplay.

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I actually prefer the Data East version to STTNG. I just have more fun playing it. The rules aren't as good, the use of theme isn't as good, but I don't care. But I also like the Bally Star Trek from 1978, so I'm certainly not in the majority on this one.
But that aside, I don't see them going after that license. Probably expensive and you would have to deal with estates. And it's just not that popular a pin.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
-----
Never saw either Frankenstein or Starship Troopers. Betcha that the book is way better. Great sad drama.

Never saw the Brannagh/DeNiro Frankenstein, but Starship Troopers is a great movie if you are able to switch off your brain on demand. I happen to think the movie is better than the book, mainly because the movie downplays the politics and focuses on nuking bugs.

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
... and the battle rages on! i'd love to see a classic ST to match up with TNG in TPA. omg! (tm "tlts" for 1 msg?) how many "st:tos" pinballs were there? i think i've seen more than one posted around here and elsewhere than that yt vid (that one seemed to be more of a "movie-era" one)...

p.s. how about a "young frankestein" table instead?? :)

Last edited:

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
Never saw the Brannagh/DeNiro Frankenstein, but Starship Troopers is a great movie if you are able to switch off your brain on demand. I happen to think the movie is better than the book, mainly because the movie downplays the politics and focuses on nuking bugs.
___
I'm sorry...I was talking about the Frankenstein book. Which has direct links to Dracula.:cool:

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
The Ritchie Trek tables have better gameplay. Having said that - I loved the DE Trek table for what it was to me,and I'd love for it to be in TPA. But there are better "licensed" tables to be had that I'd want before this one.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
It's a lot like Doctor Who, people requested it a lot just because of the theme, not the actual gameplay.

Dr. Who has gameplay.

The time expander is awesome, it has one of the better video modes, it also has the playfield multiplier, and a lot of things to do. It is fun and pretty difficult in real life.

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
I could never get into the Dr. Who table; the whole multiple Doctors idea was cool, but it feels like they could have done more with it, and a more interesting playfield.

It's probably going to grow on me when it comes to PA, it happened before with other tables.

Last edited:

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
This + the Bally EM would fit the "and somethig extra" hint for the next kickstarter. No one expected Dr Who so who knows. I would like to play it

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
The orignal Star Trek series is my fave but sorry if you ever want to see this pin you're gonna have to pay the license yourself. I really don't see it being a succefull kickstarter even if there was one. Besides, a kickstarter for this would outrage people. I would be bummed. There are just sooo many better licensed pins standing in line in front of it. This is like no:56 in line.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.