Star Wars Pinball Solo Pack (3 tables)

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
If Zen wants to be like all other pinball designers, I'd say it's time they came out with a poker themed table! They've already covered sci-fi, westerns, medieval, supernatural, historical, and creatures. What other pinball tropes are left?

They had a sports table, but that's missing from the lineup now. A Music or band themed table. Might be fun to see what they can do with a board game style table in a completely virtual environment. Then you have Pirates, racing, disasters, or road trip themes.

I thought they had a good idea with video game licensed tables (loved DOOM), but they've pretty much mined out the bigger current Bethesda and Valve properties, and Plants vs Zombies may have shown those rights to be too volatile.

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
What other pinball tropes are left?

True. Thinking to real pinball's heyday, they were doing some licenses. But many were just "themed". And Zen's originals are numerous, and have a broad range of themes. In a few cases, it wouldn't be terrible to see a "Sorcerer's Lair 2" (or pick your original you'd like to see sequelized) come out. I think Zen is that good with some of their original designs, that they could do a-la High Speed 2 or a jack-bot type of thing with some of their properties that are their own.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I have it on good authority we haven't seen the last of Super League. Fingers crossed, yeah?

Good call on pirates, that's a really rich theme to dig into. Racing, I guess I was lumping V12 into that and more just thinking 'cars'. Disasters, I agree, but that's pretty much a Pat Lawlor trope, no? Do we have a magic themed table? I really think if there's one license Zen should go after hard, it's Harry Potter. You could so easily have a whole table just based on Quiditch alone. Fantastic Beasts has a new movie coming this November, so it's still timely too. Plus, that will get Zen having a conversation with Warner Bros which would open up a whole slew of properties (though they wouldn't be allowed to do DC since they do Marvel).

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
I'm assuming they have picked these because they are getting released just before the Solo DVD / Blu-Ray so can sort of act as advertising for that and have a financial benefit for Zen - likely a reduction of the cost of the license for these 3 tables.

If they can make more tables as good as Adventureland (its in my top 5 Zen tables, that and Wild West Rampage are my 2 favourite non-licensed tables) or Son of Zeus maybe another couple non-licensed tables would be the last release of this year.

Last edited:

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
I really think if there's one license Zen should go after hard, it's Harry Potter. You could so easily have a whole table just based on Quiditch alone. Fantastic Beasts has a new movie coming this November, so it's still timely too. Plus, that will get Zen having a conversation with Warner Bros which would open up a whole slew of properties (though they wouldn't be allowed to do DC since they do Marvel).

A Quidditch table could be a lot of fun, but I always thought that Sorcerer's Lair did a good job of capturing a Harry Potter/Hogwarts vibe already.

A Warner Brothers partnership has possibilities though. I'd love them to do a good Looney Tunes table or three, and it would make Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit more of a reality since I don't see TPA having much of a shot at doing the physical tables.

I don't know that doing Marvel tables would necessarily exclude them from doing DC. Traveller's Tales and Telltale Games publish games based on both Marvel and DC characters.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I don't know that doing Marvel tables would necessarily exclude them from doing DC. Traveller's Tales and Telltale Games publish games based on both Marvel and DC characters.

I don't know if it's just a wild rumor or if there's some truth in this, but I have heard that DC won't do business with a company that does Marvel, and vice versa. LEGO is viewed as kind of a wonder in that they get to do both licenses, but that shows the power or their brand. Traveller's Tales is a beneficiary of making LEGO based games.

With Warner Bros, it wouldn't be just Looney Tunes Zen could do, but any Hanna Barbara toon too. Scooby Doo, Flinstones, Jetsons, Wacky Races, c'mon! They could do The Matrix, Gremlins, Caddyshack (which clearly Tee'd Off and No Good Gofers were inspired by). LotR might be tricky in that you'd also have to get the Tolkein estate involved, but yes please. Need a road trip table? Vacation! Need a game like Diner or Taxi? Friends! There are a ton of pinball friendly licenses they could pull from Warners, but the same could be said of a lot of the studios.

I'd like an Adult Swim pack that has The Venture Bros, Cowboy Bebop, and Space Ghost tables. Or how 'bout a Max Headroom table that's a total 80's throwback with Max just jabbering at you the entire time?

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
I don't know if it's just a wild rumor or if there's some truth in this, but I have heard that DC won't do business with a company that does Marvel, and vice versa. LEGO is viewed as kind of a wonder in that they get to do both licenses, but that shows the power or their brand. Traveller's Tales is a beneficiary of making LEGO based games.

I've heard that rumor too, but Telltale also has current games based on DC (Batman, Fables) and Marvel (Guardians of the Galaxy), so it's not just the LEGO connection. And I'm just sure someday they will see enough dollar signs to have someone make a Smash Bros-like Marvel vs DC fighting game. But regardless, they've already pretty much exhausted ideas for Marvel tables, I'm not enthusiastic about a slate of DC superhero tables popping up.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
What's funny is Zen beat the MCU to the punch with a lot of their tables choices, but then there was no point in making a movie tie-in table. World War Hulk is essentially Thor: Ragnarok, Infinity Gauntlet = Infinity Wars, but as someone who only watches the movies, the comic based storylines are lost on me. I would still like to see a Punisher table, and no doubt Black Panther with some freaky lighting would be awesome. I do agree though, there's plenty of other non superhero licenses I'd like explored before seeing any DC creations.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
3 new achievements have just been added to Steam for the new tables (I was looking in there because I've just got the "They can rest now" achievement - oddly I managed to get both hands charged a second time as well - first game I've got all 4 multiballs on).

Close to 12 parsecs
Complete each "Proper Ship" phase within 12 secs on Star Wars™ Pinball: Solo. (Single player only)

Calrissian Chronicles
Destroy the Death Star II on Star Wars™ Pinball: Calrissian Chronicles. (Single player only)

Heavy Artillery
Shoot with the AT-DT three times on Star Wars™ Pinball: Battle of Mimban. (Single player only)

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
I just started Zen Pinball on my Android tablet and I'm able to buy the new tables.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Tried out the SOLO pack and have to admit, these are pretty good.

The Solo table is very interesting and can lead to pretty high scores IMO especially with the Multi-ball that you have to start by capturing it then hit the captured ball. Modes are easy to start once you get used to the shot to light the letters and then do the mode. I really like this table because of the moving targets that requires timing and accuracy. All modes require hitting lanes and ramps that lit in random order. Appreciate this table as it felt better than the last SW pack.

Calrissian table I like too. Scenes start by shooting the sinkhole 3 times. You can pick which ones to start. Another table that I think requires accurate shots which I love. Seems harder than solo but I still haven't got the feel for the table yet.

The last table - Battle for ???? Is ok. This is a table I have had less time with. I thought I'd like it better than the above 2 but didn't. It reminded me too much of Jurassic Park Pinball Mayhem. I think you shoot the blue-lit lanes several times and go into the sinkhole just below the bumpers when it appears. There are several modes started this way but couldn't pinpoint what each does.

Overall great table pack and a bit better than the last SW pack IMO.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Tried out the SOLO pack and have to admit, these are pretty good.

The Solo table is very interesting and can lead to pretty high scores IMO especially with the Multi-ball that you have to start by capturing it then hit the captured ball. Modes are easy to start once you get used to the shot to light the letters and then do the mode. I really like this table because of the moving targets that requires timing and accuracy. All modes require hitting lanes and ramps that lit in random order. Appreciate this table as it felt better than the last SW pack.

Calrissian table I like too. Scenes start by shooting the sinkhole 3 times. You can pick which ones to start. Another table that I think requires accurate shots which I love. Seems harder than solo but I still haven't got the feel for the table yet.

The last table - Battle for ???? Is ok. This is a table I have had less time with. I thought I'd like it better than the above 2 but didn't. It reminded me too much of Jurassic Park Pinball Mayhem. I think you shoot the blue-lit lanes several times and go into the sinkhole just below the bumpers when it appears. There are several modes started this way but couldn't pinpoint what each does.

Overall great table pack and a bit better than the last SW pack IMO.

Agreed in every respect. That 3rd table indeed is the weak link, as it us very repetitive. The other two I feel like I’ve barely cracked the surface on and both have some fun shots.

Jamman39

Jan 1, 2013
Here's my review, with a little snippet about the designers because for some reason Zen designers don't get the same amount of credit for the work they do as physical table designers

Solo: This one seems like the standout of the pack, this might even be the standout table of Zen's Star Wars series (I think Zen's Star Wars tables tend to be a little weaker on average than their average table, so best Star Wars table doesn't mean it's a top 5 table for me).
Pros: the table flows well, and the combo system forces you to play fast and loose, even when it's not in your best interest it feels dangerous. Cross shot is cool when you hit it
Cons: The two center ramps look and feel too unrealistic, I like a bit of unreality in Zen but this is a step too far for me
Zoltan Vari designed Solo, and has been on a real hot streak lately, his last several tables have all been good and between this and Jurassic Park I think he made the best table in both table packs

Lando: I could definitely see this one being some people's favorite in the pack. This one is the closest to a real table and the most challenging. Those outlanes are hungry.
Pros: Another mostly realistic table in the Zen catalogue.
Cons: A little plain, and sparse looking.
Thomas Crofts designed this one, his designs are pretty much a sure thing for Zen. As good as this one is, it's probably not in his top 5.

Mimban: This one throws a bone to Zen fans that want wacky layouts and Zen weirdness.
Pros: Unique theme that would never exist outside of digital pinball
Cons: Weird rules, ugly color scheme.
Peter Horvath designed this one and you can tell. His tables have pretty consistently been wacky Zen tables

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Here's my review, with a little snippet about the designers because for some reason Zen designers don't get the same amount of credit for the work they do as physical table designers

Solo: This one seems like the standout of the pack, this might even be the standout table of Zen's Star Wars series (I think Zen's Star Wars tables tend to be a little weaker on average than their average table, so best Star Wars table doesn't mean it's a top 5 table for me).
Pros: the table flows well, and the combo system forces you to play fast and loose, even when it's not in your best interest it feels dangerous. Cross shot is cool when you hit it
Cons: The two center ramps look and feel too unrealistic, I like a bit of unreality in Zen but this is a step too far for me
Zoltan Vari designed Solo, and has been on a real hot streak lately, his last several tables have all been good and between this and Jurassic Park I think he made the best table in both table packs

Lando: I could definitely see this one being some people's favorite in the pack. This one is the closest to a real table and the most challenging. Those outlanes are hungry.
Pros: Another mostly realistic table in the Zen catalogue.
Cons: A little plain, and sparse looking.
Thomas Crofts designed this one, his designs are pretty much a sure thing for Zen. As good as this one is, it's probably not in his top 5.

Mimban: This one throws a bone to Zen fans that want wacky layouts and Zen weirdness.
Pros: Unique theme that would never exist outside of digital pinball
Cons: Weird rules, ugly color scheme.
Peter Horvath designed this one and you can tell. His tables have pretty consistently been wacky Zen tables

I like how added the snippet to the designers of this pack.

Zoltan Vari - Solo: Yeah, his tables have been really good. My favorite designer next to Deep. He has some that are on the more interesting IMO. Fear Itself, Masters of the Force, Might of the First order are my favorites of his. And Yes I agree with you that Jurrasic Park was the table that stands out in the last pack.

Thomas Crofts - Calrissian: I think X-Men, Aliens, and Avengers were standouts for me of his tables. X-men being my favorite mostly because the table is deeper than I thought with how you light X-MEN for Wizard mode. There was a lot in that table than at first glance.

Peter Horvath - Mimban: I'm not sure how I feel about his tables so far. Yes his tables are really wacky. Jurassic Park Pinball Mayhem was enjoyable to an extent. Mimban is too much like that I think. Lots going on. I kind of liked Alien isolation. Fallout was weird to get into. E T was kind meh and surprisingly dull considering what he had done with Fallout and Alien Isolation.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It is interesting, the designers and their tables. I absolutely hate Masters if the Force but really do like this Solo table. I love Aliens and am happy with what has been done with Lando. I also really like Isolation, but the rest of his tables do nothing for me.

Jamman39

Jan 1, 2013
I like how added the snippet to the designers of this pack.

Zoltan Vari - Solo: Yeah, his tables have been really good. My favorite designer next to Deep. He has some that are on the more interesting IMO. Fear Itself, Masters of the Force, Might of the First order are my favorites of his. And Yes I agree with you that Jurrasic Park was the table that stands out in the last pack.

Thomas Crofts - Calrissian: I think X-Men, Aliens, and Avengers were standouts for me of his tables. X-men being my favorite mostly because the table is deeper than I thought with how you light X-MEN for Wizard mode. There was a lot in that table than at first glance.

Peter Horvath - Mimban: I'm not sure how I feel about his tables so far. Yes his tables are really wacky. Jurassic Park Pinball Mayhem was enjoyable to an extent. Mimban is too much like that I think. Lots going on. I kind of liked Alien isolation. Fallout was weird to get into. E T was kind meh and surprisingly dull considering what he had done with Fallout and Alien Isolation.

Until very recently I had written Zoltan Vari off as doing mostly bad tables, all 3 of your favorite tables of his are among my least favorite, but he had a couple underrated tables like Wolverine, Boba Fett, and Venom, and now lately he is doing his best work.

Side note: Zoltan made the original Han Solo table which was arguably the worst modern Zen table so it's pretty surprising that they let him do the new Solo table but he did a great job.

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
I've finally played enough of these to give an informed opinion.

Solo: definitely a top-tier Zen Star Wars table. So much to do, interesting shots, the tuning feels good so you can aim your shots (unlike, say, Jaws which feels funky). The wide fan layout means there is something compelling to hit from each flipper. I'm really enjoying this one and keep coming back.

Lando: this looks so good, the theme is really well done. I like how Lando changes outfits and switches from the new guy to Billy Dee Williams and back depending on which mode you are in. I really like the shots - there are not as many as in Solo but they are more realistic. This table is extremely unforgiving, it's like real pinball in that if you brick a shot and get into side-to-side motion in the (IMO overly powerful) slingshots, you are pretty likely to have a quick outlane drain. The left outlane in particular is very hungry in this game, the only other Zen table with gobbly outlanes like this is Bob's Burgers. This doesn't make the game less fun, though - it just means your ball times and game times are shorter. Incidentally, the "Lando" comic book which is the plot of the third mode is currently free for Amazon Prime subscribers in Prime Reading, it's a pretty good comic, and it makes this mode more fun when you know the back story.

Mimban: neat looking table. Once I read the instructions and realized that this is a "battle" style table like Civil War, where you build up your side and then it switches into "fight" mode, it made it more fun and less confusing. I had no idea what was going on in the middle of the table until reading the in-game instructions and having them zoom in to show that you are destroying rock pillars to get access to a sinkhole. Definitely worth running through the instructions for this one. I don't think it's going to be one I go back to a lot, but it is easily as good as Ach-To Island, and better than some of the weaker Star Wars tables (masters of the force)

Jamman39

Jan 1, 2013
Zen have updated the outlane on Lando's table to make the left outlane safer. I'm not too happy about that change. I really liked how dangerous that table felt

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
I haven't seen the update on Android yet, but it's interesting that they made that choice. I agree with you, I like a harder Zen game, it gets the adrenaline going and makes each shot mean more.

Calrissian is another Zen table that, because it's closer to a real-life layout, would be a lot of fun with the updated Bally/Williams "classic" and "tournament" physics.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.