Star Wars pinball

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
any chance we don't see a new Stern Star Wars pinball machine (and thus SPA) in the next couple of years?

I would say no.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Would make sense. If not for The Force Awakens, then with one of the soon to be many films in the next few years. Although it's not one I see held in high regard here, I'd love that to mean clearing the way to digitize the Data East Star Wars table as well if Stern does hold the rights to their assets. That was the table that started me on pinball, and the main reason I keep VP installed on any new computer I build.

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
I hope they wait until the trilogy's done to do a pinball table this time. The Episode 1 Pinball 2000 kinda sucked, but I still like it for nostalgia reasons.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Although it's not one I see held in high regard here, I'd love that to mean clearing the way to digitize the Data East Star Wars table as well if Stern does hold the rights to their assets. That was the table that started me on pinball, and the main reason I keep VP installed on any new computer I build.
I think the scoring rules might be the only problem with it. I don't remember the rules, but I do remember enjoying playing the machine. I liked the Sega Star Wars Trilogy quite a bit, too.

(But the Pinball 2000 Star Wars Episode 1 is just horrific and I think the worst Williams since before at least 1985.)

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
DE Star Wars was the epitome of a 1-shot table. Just keep looping the ramp.

LW3 is the same.

Yet they are DE's biggest sellers.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
DE Star Wars was the epitome of a 1-shot table. Just keep looping the ramp.

I wouldn't disagree there, but it was a great introductory table for me and is currently my biggest nostalgia draw. Had a lot of fun going for Death Star Tri-Ball back then.

I'd heard that Stern issued an updated ROMset that balanced scoring and reduced the importance of the ramp shot. I'd love to play with the updated rules, but I haven't seen one of these since the mid-'90s.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Data east Star Wars is definitely not a tournament pin as Eldar has pointed out. But I do love the theme, the pin is presented well, and fun to play if you are not score chasing.
Still doubt we ever see it though.
The preview of the new Star Wars flick looked good. I like the idea of a new Stern Star Wars pin in the coming years. Seems like a theme that Stern won't be able to pass up.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
The preview of the new Star Wars flick looked good. I like the idea of a new Stern Star Wars pin in the coming years. Seems like a theme that Stern won't be able to pass up.

I'd put money on it being the next pin after GoT. Chances are they'd not be able to release it prior to the new movie because of spoilers, so an early 2016 release, just after the movie comes out, makes sense.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I'd put money on it being the next pin after GoT. Chances are they'd not be able to release it prior to the new movie because of spoilers, so an early 2016 release, just after the movie comes out, makes sense.

I can't really see that being the case. Think of just how tight they've been on spoilers, set shots, the story, the characters etc... for the new film. There's no way in hell they would give any info out to an outside pinball company. They would have no info to go off of for modes, rules, shots, art, sound... nothing. I suppose they could design the table itself with no theme, but my guess is that's already what Stern does.

After seeing how GoT turned out though I think it might be a crime against humanity for Stern to get the Star Wars rights (and I don't even like Star Wars). Heighway, JJP or Dutch would all do a much better job than them.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I can't really see that being the case. Think of just how tight they've been on spoilers, set shots, the story, the characters etc... for the new film. There's no way in hell they would give any info out to an outside pinball company. They would have no info to go off of for modes, rules, shots, art, sound... nothing. I suppose they could design the table itself with no theme, but my guess is that's already what Stern does.

After seeing how GoT turned out though I think it might be a crime against humanity for Stern to get the Star Wars rights (and I don't even like Star Wars). Heighway, JJP or Dutch would all do a much better job than them.

Stern will get the license because they've already handled existing Disney-held licenses - POTC, Marvel, IJ, etc.

No disrespect to JJP and the work they're doing, but The Hobbit was supposed to be in production already, and, well, it isn't.

Heighway and Dutch are too small and just don't have the industry reputation yet.

As for timing, the designers could be asked to sign NDAs, or something? So maybe it's not the first release in 2016, but I expect it to be around some time in 2016.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts