Request Stargate (Gottlieb, 1995)

mystman12

Apr 21, 2013
Anybody else want Stargate in The Pinball Arcade? I can't believe there isn't a thread for it yet. I've owned one for a few months now (My first machine! :D) and it really is an amazing game. It has a lot to do on it, multiple wizard modes, and the scoring is well balanced with no random elements. Easily the best Gottlieb out there. I guess licensing would be the main issue. I'm not sure about the Stargate license, but James Spader does the voices and appears on the playfield with another actor I think. (The actors only appear on the ramp decals though, so they could easily be removed if push came to shove.)

Anyways, I think this game should definitely be in TPA!

invitro

May 4, 2012
I'm absolutely sure that licensing is the only issue. Stargate is the highest-rated Gottlieb DMD, I think by far, and I can testify that I enjoyed playing it back when it was new. (And it was all over, about five machines were in the metro area where I lived.) I'd guess that the actors are not the main obstacle, but the Stargate name itself, as it's attached to multiple movies and TV shows, and may not even be a dead license (I don't know). "Live" licenses may be very difficult, as I don't know if any of them have made it to TPA without a Kickstarter since season one. (I'm too lazy to check those or the other facts...)

Anyway, I'd very much like Stargate to be in TPA. If I'm feeling selfish, I'd rather have Mario Andretti, (especially) Waterworld, and Barb Wire since I've barely played those. I'm actually a bit surprised Barb Wire hasn't made it yet. But then again I'm a whole lot surprised that Wipe Out hasn't made it as it's an unlicensed DMD. I can't remember if Gladiators is unlicensed. Anyway, down the rabbit hole I'm going so...

Last edited:

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Stargate is not currently "live". Universe never really took off so the franchise is on hiatus now, as far as I know.

It is probably the best implementation of the Premier formula (figure out how to abuse the rules for fun and profit). But it's not THAT balanced. :) (battle mode says hi. :) )

Last edited:

mystman12

Apr 21, 2013
Stargate is not currently "live". Universe never really took off so the franchise is on hiatus now, as far as I know.

It is probably the best implementation of the Premier formula (figure out how to abuse the rules for fun and profit). But it's not THAT balanced. :) (battle mode says hi. :) )

Oh yeah, forgot about that! :p Ra's Temple can also be pretty OP.

One thing I have wondered about though... Farsight puts all their games on factory settings, correct? I really hope they wouldn't do that for Stargate if they make it. The left outlane is almost always open on factory, and the game becomes way too easy. (And it's already a relatively easy game without the sarcophagus open all the time)

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
I've never felt that it was too easy in real life. that pyramid shot is VERY difficult, and you absolutely MUST learn it.

I'm more worried the version in TPA will have the 3x scoring timer pause during multiball. Gottleib simply does NOT document their ROM revisions.

invitro

May 4, 2012
One thing I have wondered about though... Farsight puts all their games on factory settings, correct?
This is a good question, but you have to say what you mean by "factory settings." You probably mean the general medium difficulty batch setting. Well, the answer is in the table manuals. The few I've looked at, I don't remember what they were, appeared to be set to general medium.

sneakynotsneaky

Feb 21, 2015
I've never felt that it was too easy in real life. that pyramid shot is VERY difficult, and you absolutely MUST learn it.

I'm more worried the version in TPA will have the 3x scoring timer pause during multiball. Gottleib simply does NOT document their ROM revisions.

As a center shot aficionado, the couple times I've been able to have a go on Stargate the pyramid has caused me no end of frustration trying to get right. Then again my recently acquired first home table is a Demolition Man which is maybe a bit too far in the other direction.

I'd be quite happy to see Stargate in TPA. I find the playfield a bit busy and claustrophobic, but it's still a decent pin.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.