Stern PBA coding and physics, etc...

xZOMBIEx

May 28, 2017
Why not use the coding from Stern PBA over to the regular PBA? I'm sure most can agree that the tables on Stern PBA that are also on PBA like Ripley's, Last Action Hero, Starship Troopers, etc... look a lot better on Stern PBA then they do on the regular PBA on PS4 and I'm assuming on XB1 as well...

It's obvious that version of PBA was made using current gen technology and wasn't a port from last gen consoles like how the regular PBA version is... There are some small things, but I think for the most part, everything is much better on that version of the game... When the Facebook group has one of the tables that is on both games for the weekly tournament, I will always play the Stern PBA version... Especially when the lightning was worse then it is now...

Even the physics feel better... Some of the tables on Stern PBA are harder than they are on PBA, but that's more like how they arein reall life... It's much harder ti play on an actual table... Especially because it's not easy to nudge the table like we can in the games...

Even the Ghostbusters table is much better on Stern PBA. Not just the look of it, but the gameplay. It feels faster, better, no lag or slow down...

Actually now that I write this, I think that table should have shown just how obsolete the Regular PBA was and in a dire need of a full updated version that was closer to Stern PBA then what it was and still is now... It can't even fully run Ghostbusters properly... Yeah, it works, but when you compare it to the one on Stern PBA, then you really see the difference... I think it's a little easier to hit shots on Stern PBA then it is on the regular PBA version... Especially when trying to hit it up ramps... I don't know if it's cause of the slight slowness of it or if the ball is bigger as it does look a little bigger on PBA as well...

There are some things that need to be fixed and or adjusted on Stern PBA as well, but I can guarantee that the list of issues and fixes/adjustments is a lot lower than it is on PBA...

The one or two things that I would adjust/add if I could immediately to Stern PBA besides bringing over the tables from PBA over to it... Would just be the color or brightness of the ball and or adding the custom ball's to Stern PBA, especially the glow ball's, heck, those are really the only ones that need to be brought over... I'm sure those are the most used besides the default ball, but the default ball does need to be brighter than it is now....

Besides that, my only other issue on Stern is the camera angles... There should be a couple of other views... The ones that are on there now are ok, but they do seem a little different than PBA... And that might be it, that i'm just used to those angles and camera views, but adding more to what's there shouldn't hurt, it's just more options...

I'm sure there's other little nit picky stuff, but that's about it... I just know that's the coding that should have been adopted to the regular PBA and still could be... The lighting there is much better as well... I think itcan still get better, but it's definitely better than what is on PBA ...

Thanks again,
Jake

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
Why not use the coding from Stern PBA over to the regular PBA? I'm sure most can agree that the tables on Stern PBA that are also on PBA like Ripley's, Last Action Hero, Starship Troopers, etc... look a lot better on Stern PBA then they do on the regular PBA on PS4 and I'm assuming on XB1 as well...

It's obvious that version of PBA was made using current gen technology and wasn't a port from last gen consoles like how the regular PBA version is... There are some small things, but I think for the most part, everything is much better on that version of the game... When the Facebook group has one of the tables that is on both games for the weekly tournament, I will always play the Stern PBA version... Especially when the lightning was worse then it is now...

Even the physics feel better... Some of the tables on Stern PBA are harder than they are on PBA, but that's more like how they arein reall life... It's much harder ti play on an actual table... Especially because it's not easy to nudge the table like we can in the games...

Even the Ghostbusters table is much better on Stern PBA. Not just the look of it, but the gameplay. It feels faster, better, no lag or slow down...

Actually now that I write this, I think that table should have shown just how obsolete the Regular PBA was and in a dire need of a full updated version that was closer to Stern PBA then what it was and still is now... It can't even fully run Ghostbusters properly... Yeah, it works, but when you compare it to the one on Stern PBA, then you really see the difference... I think it's a little easier to hit shots on Stern PBA then it is on the regular PBA version... Especially when trying to hit it up ramps... I don't know if it's cause of the slight slowness of it or if the ball is bigger as it does look a little bigger on PBA as well...

There are some things that need to be fixed and or adjusted on Stern PBA as well, but I can guarantee that the list of issues and fixes/adjustments is a lot lower than it is on PBA...

The one or two things that I would adjust/add if I could immediately to Stern PBA besides bringing over the tables from PBA over to it... Would just be the color or brightness of the ball and or adding the custom ball's to Stern PBA, especially the glow ball's, heck, those are really the only ones that need to be brought over... I'm sure those are the most used besides the default ball, but the default ball does need to be brighter than it is now....

Besides that, my only other issue on Stern is the camera angles... There should be a couple of other views... The ones that are on there now are ok, but they do seem a little different than PBA... And that might be it, that i'm just used to those angles and camera views, but adding more to what's there shouldn't hurt, it's just more options...

I'm sure there's other little nit picky stuff, but that's about it... I just know that's the coding that should have been adopted to the regular PBA and still could be... The lighting there is much better as well... I think itcan still get better, but it's definitely better than what is on PBA ...

Thanks again,
Jake

I agree 100%. I have SPBA and regular TPA on both Steam and iOS and everything is superior in SPBA except for the GUI which is horrid in SPBA. The physics are more realistic, the lighting is more dynamic (even on iOS), color/shading looks much better and the games play more difficult. One of the things I first noticed in Stern PBA is that there appears to be no railroading of shots like there is in TPA. The vacuum ramps in TPA are pretty much gone, but the railroading still exists, even on very well tuned tables, if ever so slightly. When you play Ghostbusters you can really see the performance/lighting/graphical difference between the two apps. The one thing I am curious to know is if FarSight received the source code from Stern for the older tables now in SPBA like RBON, LAH, HRC and POTO or if they are still emulated. If they are running the source code then this may mean it is not possible to run emulated tables using the SPBA engine. This may be why Flight 2000 isn't included in SPBA.

FlippyFloppy, Can you weigh in on this conversation and let us know if running the emulated tables in TPA using the SPBA app/engine is even possible? Is this what you are looking to do when and if you ever introduce Physics 4.0?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts