Stern Pinball Arcade first impressions

kaworu

Oct 17, 2016
Speaking of the UI, it looks really nice in SPA. That said, once there is like 15-20 tables it is going to be really annoying to scroll around.
new PC UI is not bad because it does not look cool and shiny anymore, it is because now it works clunky and bugy, especially when you use a gamepad. but we are offtop now.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Have they acknowledged that the lighting on Star Trek is busted? I refuse to believe that is how they meant for it to look, especially during MB.

Also, I really can't figure out why SST is the only table where the ball looks bright and shiny and good.

Hopefull a lot of lighting issues will go away with the lighting slider, but this must have been a real rush-job for it not to be there from the start. My biggest concern is that Farsight is going to get way behind on patches because of all the platforms SPA and TPA are on.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Some thoughts after playing SPA for a while. First, other than that LAH still doesn't have AC/DC's Big Gun, I don't give a hoot and hell about the older tables on this platform. No lighting slider is a gigantic bummer and hopefully it's added in the future. I've made a custom setting on my Panny Plasma that's not as harsh as VIVID but brighter than my normal Cinema based setting. It DOES help a lot with the f'd up lighting that FarSight's chosen.

AC/DC is fun as hell. Hard too. Flailing will eventually show you a SDTM or the outlanes. But, the GI is too bloomy and doesn't shut down like the real table does. Also, the inserts don't look bright enough compared to the rest of the table. No flasher in the pops is a stinker too.

Star Trek plays really well. The color changing inserts must have been a new challenge for FS but, with the changed TV settings, they look pretty good. Nonetheless, the back of the table is TOO dark.

Mustang plays and looks the best of the three. With the settings I applied to my TV, I can see the rotating toy model fairly well. It also lights up nice with the flasher effect. I really don't think this one needs much fixing in the lighting department unless they add a slider which FS should do anyway. BUT, it's the one I lose interest with the fastest. The songs wear out their welcome quick. And while I love the sound of a carbureted V8, this game, like Williams Corvette, is just...corny. Sorry, but the goofy announcer and call out's can stick it where the sun don't shine.

Other than the programming running slower than in real life, I haven't encountered any real bugs. FarSight needs to go back to a panning shot during the game over scene. I can't comment on Goals and Leaderboards because I just don't care about that stuff.

The sound is superb. Absolutely no complaints. And I listen to it cranked.

I still don't regret my $30 purchase for these three tables but I really hope FarSight continues to refine this game.

Last edited:

karl

May 10, 2012
A couple of new games are up in the ps4 Europe shop today, but still no SPA. :(

I am so looking forward to this title. Thanks for the review Dtown8532. Sounds like you are among the few that actually bothers to play the game and not only talk about lighting :)

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
A couple of new games are up in the ps4 Europe shop today, but still no SPA. :(

I am so looking forward to this title. Thanks for the review Dtown8532. Sounds like you are among the few that actually bothers to play the game and not only talk about lighting :)

Lol. For the record, I agree with Dtown8532's gameplay impressions.

Mustang feels good but the announcers and music are annoying and lame. The gameplay is kind of boring.

Star Trek would be my fav if it wasn't for.... (wait for it) ...the lighting.

karl

May 10, 2012
Lol. For the record, I agree with Dtown8532's gameplay impressions.

Mustang feels good but the announcers and music are annoying and lame. The gameplay is kind of boring.

Star Trek would be my fav if it wasn't for.... (wait for it) ...the lighting.

:D

For the record, I believe lightning will come.... eventually (or was that Lighting)

No thunder before..... ;)

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
I thought that the Ac/DC announcer was kind of cheesy. Sounds exactly like the No Fear announcer.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
i like the no fear annoucer heh

Kim-Jong-un.jpg

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Thanks guys. I do put a few games in just about every day. I start with AC/DC, then ST and finally Mustang. I'm an AC/DC fan so the music is a big draw. The rules are deep too. But, I would say I enjoy "playing" ST the best. It's so smooth and the sound package is superb. Mustang? It looks really good in SPA and it is a fun game but I can see, with time, I'll be forgetting about this one as future tables arrive.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
AC/DC standalone table is still mispriced as $19.99 despite promises that it would be fixed over the weekend. Store updated yesterday.

karl

May 10, 2012
AC/DC standalone table is still mispriced as $19.99 despite promises that it would be fixed over the weekend. Store updated yesterday.

At least you have the tables ;) Think about us poor bastards in Europe. :)

Total silence about the release date over here, still. I am wondering if Stern/Farsight keep forgetting about us or if it is just The European PS store that is extremely slow

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
I have just checked the US Playstation store and noticed the AC/DC standalone is at $9.99 now.

Ben Logan

Jun 2, 2015
Thanks, Stemage. :)

Listening now. Nice to hear they're actively working on GB. Glad this is a long episode. Hoping you guys discuss physics upgrade at some point here.

EDIT: They do criticize Pinball FX's physics around 100:04. Wish they'd look critically at their own! TPA / SPA lifeless ball physics engine is the only thing holding me back from purchasing any new tables beyond the first three seasons.

Last edited:

Stemage

Jun 4, 2016
EDIT: They do criticize Pinball FX's physics around 100:04. Wish they'd look critically at their own! TPA / SPA lifeless ball physics engine is the only thing holding me back from purchasing any new tables beyond the first three seasons.

HA! That was actually ME criticizing FX's physics. ;) It might be hard to tell who's who at times. Mike from Farsight is the one that sounds like he's coming in through a telephone.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Great interview, thanks Stemage.

Interesting bit from Mike at 1:07:03 - Talking about future TPA improvements, specifically on mobile graphics - "There's some new technology that we're going to be implementing that should get the tables with dynamic lighting, just like the PC version - might not look as good as the PC version, but it's definitely going to improve the look of the mobile version"

Wonder if that's iPhone/Android or both.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
That was a really good interview. Also, while listening, I had the best game of Champion Pub ever. Thanks Stemage.

BTW: @ 1:52:40, there is a piece of music that I know, but I cannot for the life of me remember what game. Anybody have an answer? It's driving me nutz.

Nevermind. I got it. It's Sonic.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts