STERN Pinball Arcade is now live on PSN (for the PS4)

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I wonder if the disc version of Stern Pinball Arcade for the PS4 will have fixed lighting, shiny/brighter ball, and trophy support for all of the included tables.

816r3CklhnL._AC_SL1369_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Stern-Pinball-PlayStation-4/dp/B01MAZKDDT

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
I find this strange as well. If they were to have trophies, you'd think they would have already appeared by now since the tables have long been live.

Farsight never understood trophies, still no idea what they were thinking when they cut TPA short at season 1 on ps4. I would have bought a lot more tables if there were trophies. Even the PS3 version went through season 2. No rhyme or reason to it.

True, but Sony's not without fault in this one. Limiting trophies and and achievements happens all the time on consoles. Should Zaccaria ever come out for consoles, they probably won't have the 1461 (and counting) achievements available on Steam.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
True, but Sony's not without fault in this one. Limiting trophies and and achievements happens all the time on consoles. Should Zaccaria ever come out for consoles, they probably won't have the 1461 (and counting) achievements available on Steam.

And yet Rocket League, which has been out a couple of years, is able to add trophies for their DLC.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
Xbox One:

The digital version of Stern Pinball Arcade will be released on Dec. 2nd on Xbox One! Pricing will be the same as for the PS4.

/edit: The digital Xbox One version will feature also LE versions for Star Trek and AC/DC!

So it looks like WE will have to buy the disc version to get these Limited Editions, but the XB1 people will get them thrown in for free?

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
I don't know whether they will be for free (coming with the bundle) or as a separate DLC.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
And yet Rocket League, which has been out a couple of years, is able to add trophies for their DLC.

It's because Farsight didn't plan out their trophies well,p. Either that, or they didn't plan on having more than 1 & a half seasons of DLC.

Zen Pinball has added 50ish tables to their base game and still have trophies as well. This is because they aren't giving away silver trophies for DLC, which are worth many more points than bronze. There is a certain amount of points allocated to developers to use in their games.

The limitation is important because they hold a certain value to some gamers and if given no limitation you could see developers abusing the system to include a crazy amount of trophies on a nonsense game just for the sake of selling trophies.
You can see this example with the game "My name is Mayo" I think it's called, where the p!ayer just taps a jar until trophies pop. They ma aged to get 2 stackable platinums for $2. With Cross-Buy between the PS4 and Vita. If they weren't restricted to the same amount of trophies as other games you'd no doubt see them take advantage and add hundreds more trophies, thus making the entire trophy system pointless. I'm not going to get into my personal feeling on trophies, but that's just why I believe each developer is held to a limitd amount of trophies as the others.

Farsight could have also gotten around the limit by making each season its own stand alone game.

That being said, I feel Stern Pinball Arcade is off to a bad start with its trophies here. Adding only support for Franksstein and a silver trophy for single goals. It seems like even less thought went into this, where as they could have learned from the trophy issues with TPA.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
I don't know whether they will be for free (coming with the bundle) or as a separate DLC.

Then hopefully at some time, when the disc version is delisted, it will become a DLC for PS4 as well... We are the first customers bringing in some money, so perhaps they can cut us a little break even if only you own both bundles before the disc release date.

Rayder

Mar 21, 2014
WOOT! Brightness slider patch has finally arrived. MUCH better now that I can actually see everything.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Is it just the room brightness or bulbs as well?

Table brightness 0 to 100% (bulbs)
Table ambience 0 to 100% (room)

so far i like brightness 100 and ambience 0
it looks like no matter what the setting the ball is silver and visible again!

kaworu

Oct 17, 2016
Table brightness 0 to 100% (bulbs)
Table ambience 0 to 100% (room)

so far i like brightness 100 and ambience 0
it looks like no matter what the setting the ball is silver and visible again!
can you make a video of ST gameplay and post it on YT?

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Nice, thanks DAI5D - would love to see some pictures.
No idea why it wasn't released with the sliders in the first place!

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
The new lighting sliders are very nice. I can only hope that Farsight is implementing this on Pinball Arcade (PS4)as well.

I made a quick video of AC/DC showing off some different lighting slider settings.
The ball is also shiny and reflective again. Its much better in the dark setting than the Arcade Pinball is. The ball remains easy to see and not dark.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Thanks spoonman. Good to see they got that added quickly.
Is the back of Star Trek much improved with these lighting options?

Last edited:

PeacemakerPIN

Nov 19, 2015
Thanks spoonman. Good to see they got that added quickly.
Is the back of Star Trek much improved with these lighting options.

Star Trek looks much better. You can clearly see the details in the back now.

However... Klingon Multiball still looks wrong IMO. lol (17.30)

That really needs to be reworked. Everything else looks fine to me.

Should look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOET60VBScE

Last edited:

kaworu

Oct 17, 2016
However... Klingon Multiball still looks wrong IMO. lol (17.30)
That really needs to be reworked. Everything else looks fine to me.
and bug with wrong score Match animation on DMD is still here too.
i wonder how it is even become possible? - Stern gave the source code of games and FS made their own "corrections"? then whole game rules must be investigated in detail for bugs :D

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.