Stern Pinball Arcade

Sun Vulcan

Jun 28, 2012
Star Trek screenshots:

StarTrek1.jpg

StarTrek2.jpg

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Like we said: VERY early. Issues found on Star Trek, based on the video (will mark fixed upon other footage):

LED lighting needs worked on. But a WiP regardless.
Slingshot rubbers do not exist.
Vengeance Ship is bent down too much. Should be horizontal instead of at an angle.
GI may seem non-existent.
Flashers seem non-existent.
The bases of the flipper moves up just a little when switching between the up and down positions. They should be still when compared to the rest of the flipper.

Last edited:

Ben Logan

Jun 2, 2015
FS PC tables look cartoony in comparison with Zaccaria ME and Pro Pinball (even on iOS). Was really hoping SPA graphics would represent a jump in realism (although physics are way more important, imo). This doesn't bode well...

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
It does look unfinished, but the PC DX11 version will probably look a lot better. Seems like they're barely even done with it.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
It does look unfinished, but the PC DX11 version will probably look a lot better. Seems like they're barely even done with it.

Probably also because the Gear VR version is running DX9 graphics and lighting. Yes, the gameplay is in slow motion; probably because the recorder is interfering. Doubt that Farsight would release a slow game.

Last edited:

Ben Logan

Jun 2, 2015
Ball moves crazy slow in that video. Also: We can finally see the backglass on a FS game, and the damn thing isn't animated. No flashing lights! Boo.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
Still an Oculus device though.

Thats such spin its horrible. When anyone says Oculus..they mean Rift not GearVR..People say GearVR when they mean PhoneVR

tho reading the facebook comments this showed up.

PdCZj2C.png

bit of a mixed message..news says "The Stern Pinball Arcade will also be released on more platforms this fall including; Oculus Rift, PS4, Xbox One, Wii-U, Steam (PC/MAC), iOS and Android."
Stern says Oculus ..exclusive....Joy

Last edited:

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Thats such spin its horrible. When anyone says Oculus..they mean Rift not GearVR..People say GearVR when they mean PhoneVR

tho reading the facebook comments this showed up.

PdCZj2C.png

bit of a mixed message..news says "The Stern Pinball Arcade will also be released on more platforms this fall including; Oculus Rift, PS4, Xbox One, Wii-U, Steam (PC/MAC), iOS and Android."
Stern says Oculus ..exclusive....Joy

Stern made. A bunch of interesting comments on their post. They said it is exclusive to Oculus not, but it will roll out to other platforms in the near future.

They also said something about exclusive features not available in TPA, and then gave an example of a Pinball Machine in the wild recognizing that you have the SPA app on your phone. Interesting stuff (that I am still reading)

Edit: okay. I'm done reading and that is pretty much all Stern said

Last edited:

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
So its not actually available on the Oculus but Gear VR now!?....what a cock up!
Why do you say that? Personally I think that's better as it can be played anywhere. Anyway that explains why it looked like it was running on a smartphone. It was running on a smartphone.

Downloading it now, bummer my Gear is at home. Normally I bring it to the office with me everyday.

Guess I'll see how it plays in a bit

Sent from my SM-G935V

Indy99

May 24, 2013
OK, I have tried this out. First, let me say I am VERY pleasantly surprised this is available for the GearVR. When Farsight announced VR support, I assumed it would only be for Rift / Vive. You must set your expectations, as this is running on a phone, not a powerful gaming PC. That said, I really enjoyed playing Frankenstein. It played great. Very similar to the Android version, but the table is HUGE and in 3d. Very immersive. I really enjoyed playing. Then I bought Star Trek. This should not be on sale yet. Performance is horrible. Yes, the ball really is that slow like the video. Flippers are slow, everything is slow. Basically unplayable. Hopefully performance is improved or I threw away $10. So I thought since Star Trek was new, maybe Ripleys would play better. Nope. Also very slow and unplayable. I did not take a chance on Starship troopers as I did not want to throw more money away right now.

The potential is surely there if Farsight continues to improve performance. Its kind of shady that Frankenstein performs great (The free table), but the others you pay for (at least the 2 I tried) don't. If people are buying Pinball Arcade for the first time, they will be very disappointed.

For reference, I am playing on a Note 5. Very excited about the future with this app. I bet it will be amazing on Rift!

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Why not just port all of TPA over to this kinda thing? A sign of good will like helping with the preservation of classic machines from already defeated competitors would earn Stern lots of respect and gratitude from the pinball community.

Also I cannot believe they would allow this to be sold in this condition. Must be a mistake, or is it an early access thing with "promised" updates

Last edited:

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
OK, I have tried this out. First, let me say I am VERY pleasantly surprised this is available for the GearVR. When Farsight announced VR support, I assumed it would only be for Rift / Vive. You must set your expectations, as this is running on a phone, not a powerful gaming PC. That said, I really enjoyed playing Frankenstein. It played great. Very similar to the Android version, but the table is HUGE and in 3d. Very immersive. I really enjoyed playing. Then I bought Star Trek. This should not be on sale yet. Performance is horrible. Yes, the ball really is that slow like the video. Flippers are slow, everything is slow. Basically unplayable. Hopefully performance is improved or I threw away $10. So I thought since Star Trek was new, maybe Ripleys would play better. Nope. Also very slow and unplayable. I did not take a chance on Starship troopers as I did not want to throw more money away right now.

The potential is surely there if Farsight continues to improve performance. Its kind of shady that Frankenstein performs great (The free table), but the others you pay for (at least the 2 I tried) don't. If people are buying Pinball Arcade for the first time, they will be very disappointed.

For reference, I am playing on a Note 5. Very excited about the future with this app. I bet it will be amazing on Rift!

Since you bought Star Trek and Ripley's I grabbed Starship Troopers. It's one of my favorite tables anyway.

Only played one game on each table so far. I agree that MSF played well and ran smooth. The scale is pretty good and it looked pretty decent (the room you play in is cool) although the resolution and lighting really suffers. That's the tradeoff of using a phone screen that has to double the image, but the immersion is pretty damn cool. Still a bit rough though. The rendering and shadows had a couple issues keeping up with rapid head movement, the plunger doesn't move, the restart button is so far down that to select it you need to practically tuck your chin into your chest. It really needs a controller as without one both flippers always flip at the same time (and the 3rd flipper can't be triggered at all).

Starship Troopers played almost as well, but did have instances of ball skip or slowdown, but it looked better in 3D with the figures on the table. Overall not as smooth, but still fun.

The table physics were also different feeling than on the DX11 version, but maybe that's normal for mobile.

Also interesting that the other tables shown in the lobby are all already in TPA: Harley Davidson, Ripleys, Phantom of the Opera, Last Action Hero... and one other I can't remember. No new tables, although there was a Ghostbusters poster on one wall.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Also interesting that the other tables shown in the lobby are all already in TPA: Harley Davidson, Ripleys, Phantom of the Opera, Last Action Hero... and one other I can't remember. No new tables, although there was a Ghostbusters poster on one wall.

Is it AC/DC by any chance?

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
This really explains a lot of things. They as always ran out of time + manpower by doing too much completely new stuff for yet another platform. Result: unfinished SPA, no new UI, bugs and bugs, and only lame Gottliebs.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Just played a bunch more MSF and S Troopers. It is pretty fun playing this way. I definitely need to get a controller though.

But why is Starship Troopers even in here? It's a Sega table not Stern.

Sent from my SM-G935V

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Just played a bunch more MSF and S Troopers. It is pretty fun playing this way. I definitely need to get a controller though.

But why is Starship Troopers even in here? It's a Sega table not Stern.

Sent from my SM-G935V
Stern bought Sega's pinball division. Hence they control the rights to all the DE and Sega tables as well as their own.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
Plus, the ball seemed a bit floaty.....but the guy in the video's setup may be lacking in power. When he got multiball on ST, his game really started chugging.

Can't wait 'til this hits PC.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.