Strategy for Battle the Power?

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
It seems that winning or losing Battle the Power is largely based on luck. Is there some sort of consistency to how the magnets affect the ball? Is there a better strategy than just mashing the buttons and hoping for the best?

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Yes, yes there is:

When battling the Power, don't flip indiscriminately. This leads the ball to the middle and down the lower hole. Instead try to flip when the ball is below the black circles in an attempt to pull the ball upward and hopefully through the top hole. If the ball instead comes down the middle, grab it with one magnet, not both, as activating both magnets will cancel each other out. A gentle style works best. Also, keep flipping after the timer reaches 0, you have another few seconds before the magnets truly go dead, and defeating the Power during this time generally still counts.

Also, if the ball does look like it's heading for the lower hole and the Magna-Flip alone won't be enough to save it, nudge in addition to using the magnet. Many players forget you can still nudge on the Powerfield. (You can still tilt, too, so go carefully.)

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
well, i think each person has to get a feel for it individually, but there is definitely skill involved, and i've gotten much better over time. personally, i find it easier to defeat the power with the right magnet than the left:

as the ball enters the playfield, it usually falls at a trajectory that crosses the right magnet. when it is at about the 11:00 position of the right concentric circles (upper left edge), i give the right flipper a good quick stab, and i would say about 40% of the time, it bounces immediately off the bottom wall and up and out the hole. if that fails, i try to wait for the ball to be flush with the bottom wall of the powerfield, so that the ball and either the left or right magnet form a straight line to the upper hole. you can make the shot from lots of other positions as well -- a lot depends on the momentum and lucky bounces -- but those are just the most predictable ones for me.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
I think the strategy is the magnets are located at the black bulls-eye. Flipping turns them on so you want to flip when they get to the outside, let go at the middle, let it bounce off the side rubbers, flip again and let go to build up more speed.

Keeping them activated slows the ball down once it passes the bulls-eye. If in doubt, quick short flips are most effective. Just tap the flipper button, don't hold it. Double-tap the flippers if they come from the top

Members online

Members online