Request Surf n' Safari

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Yes, I know that many people are going to criticize my suggestion, but I personally like the layout of the game, there's a teeny-weeny amount of similarities to WH2O. The music, in particular, is just as good as the music in Class of 1812. It was also the first 90s game to include a "Double Everything" feature, which I love! And it's also a pretty good table for the kids, kinda like SMB in terms of difficulty. But, most importantly, Rodney the gator is a much better host then Gunther the gopher :eek: I'd love to see this in TPA, but perhaps paired with a much more substantial table, perhaps Black Rose.

David Pannozzo

Mar 6, 2012
I'm with you Captain B Zarre, I love this table it's my second favorite Gottlieb game. My first favorite is Rescue 911 I played a lot of that game in real life many years ago, and on Visual Pinball, I really want both of these Awesome Gottlieb pinball games really bad. I'm not a huge Gottlieb fan, but their are a few easily 10 games on the poll I would like to see, including Freddy I only played that game on Visual Pinball and not in real life. I also have to give perks to Cactus Jack, Wipeout, Haunted House, Lights, Camera, Action, and a few others. One thing is I'm not a fan of EM's so I won't be liking to many old Gottlieb games, well that's my two cents so what do you think of the games I names especially Rescue 911. See ya.

David Pannozzo

Mar 6, 2012
Also I love and I mean love Party Zone, that game has to come on The Pinball Arcade along with The Addam's Family and Family Guy (of course once the S.A.M. system gets emulated for Sterns Family Guy), well one more time talk to you later.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
I've always thought it looked fun. Simple for a modern table, but it's got a fun theme, ramps and drop targets (I'm a sucker for ramps & drops), so I'd be cool with it in TPA.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Some important info for the emulation of premiere games.

They tend to use piezo smart switches that send pulses instead of close when tripped. because of this, the emulation (or the real table) can miss an event. on SNS this results in the splash drops not popping up until the game ENDS! SO this is very much an issue.

So the switch emulation must be properly handled to not confuse the software. I tneeds to pulse, but not pulse too quickly.

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
Would love to see this table.

image-1.jpg

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
I've been calling for this table since the beginning of TPA. Without a doubt, this is my favorite Gottlieb table of the 90's. It's still a lot of fun to play and can be enjoyed by all ages. Great music too.

I really hope we will see some more Gottliebs in TPA, but I'm not sure we will. The last one, LCA, unfortunately got panned on the forums. Not sure how it sold, but we haven't heard a thing from FarSight about more Gottliebs since.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Notes for TPA people who wish to convert the game.

Difficulty of the game is determined by the following things.

1) how often boomerang shots bounce into plunge. (often=easy)
2) how often whirlpool shots bounce into the plunge (often=easy)
3) how deadly the splash targets are
4) how deadly the 3 million target is.
5) how easy post passing is.
6) general drainyness from missed shots.

Tweak notes.

1) a full plunge should enter the bumpers.
2) a bit less then full should easily make the skill shot.
3) shot too softly, and you get absoluutely nothing. :)
4) outlanes are easy to save.
5) super score is dangerous, and can drain down the right outlane.
6) hold trapping inlane feeds should NOT work. however
7) hold backhanding the pipeline DOES work. it's an important trick shot. (hold flipper up. ball rolls up it, release and flip quickly to backhand ball into the pipeline. actually a pretty easy shot)
8) flippers should be droopy. backhanding rapids, pipeline, super score,or whirlpool should not be possible from a trap. splash, 3 million, and boomerang should be hitable from either flipper at a trap.
9) try to stop nudge stall from working, if possible.
10) flippers should NOT be super powerful, but should have enough power to reliably forehand the rapids, the whirlpool, and the boomerang, and to make all splash targets. shots that are not clean should fail to make it up the whirlpool or the rapids.

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I played this one a lot... probably more than any other Premier. IIRC the table I played was in decent condition but I don't remember anything about what shots could be made from where and how.

The plunge award does need to work for the table to seem "fair" though, I played one at a show where the plunger was too weak to make the whirlpool, and that made me sad :(

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
I sure hope these predictions that no more Gottliebs come to TPA is false. Still some great tables left. Stargate, Rescue 911, Surf 'n Safari, Cactus Jack's, Wipeout, and Bone Busters need to be there.

Last edited:

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
I played this one a lot... probably more than any other Premier. IIRC the table I played was in decent condition but I don't remember anything about what shots could be made from where and how.

The plunge award does need to work for the table to seem "fair" though, I played one at a show where the plunger was too weak to make the whirlpool, and that made me sad :(

???!!!???

The plunger cannot make the whirlpool. it can make the plunge. you can over plunge and go to the bumpers, you can under plunge and trip the plunger lane switch a second time for "you shoot too softly!" and you can make the plunge. the plunge is an easy shot. on many machines on location even a full plunge will do it. But on some mchines if you don't plunge imemdiately, you will get "you shoot too softly" regardless because the plunger lane switch is messed up.

the papa gameplay video on youtube is of a properly setup surf n safari. (not the tournament game that has plunge blocked)

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I guess I'm getting some things mixed up. Lots of plays in 94/95/96, then a 20-year gap to one go on a slightly broken table at a show, that's a heck of a gap and lots of time in between....

Something was up with the whirlpool not working properly, that's for sure. May have been the left flipper that wasn't good enough. Or maybe there was something up with the plunger anyway that made the skill shot impossible or flaky.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
I'm familiar with the issue that makes that skill shot flaky, the work around is to launch the ball the instant it lands in the plunger lane.

a weak left flipper would have issues with the whirlpool, and that would suck.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts