T2 Screens

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Anyways...

Chrome the skull.

Lose the pink and purple lighting. Real Terminator pinball is totally blue/white/metal. There is no hint of pink or purple. The pops are red. It doesn't make any sense to look that way.

Fix these two minor issues and it's perfect. 4 weeks to get it done too. And no other table this month to worry about programming. This should not be a problem. I'll be very let down if it ships looking like that.

night

May 18, 2012
Maybe I'm reading you wrong night. Are you saying it's not possible or it is? I don't think the skull needs to reflect the environment or other balls. But it definitely needs to be chrome!

This is the team that pulled off the hologram on CftBL which I have never seen done... and they did it to perfection too. But they can't get a simple chrome skull correct? I call shenanigans!

Mark, I don't know if it is possible, I am not FarSight. If it was possible for them we would have seen a chrome skull! They can't so instead of creating a chrome texture map they seem to have chosen for the quick way out, and just apply some metal-kind-off texture. I am seeing as much as you.

And I don't want to bring it up, AGAIN, but.. WHERE ARE THE BLOODY TABLE SHADOWS?

Drawken

Oct 2, 2012
I don't think there's anything to add, but I'll say it anyway.
Upper teeth aren't nearly long enough.
The two holes below the nose area are too far apart.
A little too much space between the browline and eyes.
The shape of the cheekbones also look off.

Surely, the people at Farsight use reference photos?
And they have the real model there in the office to compare it to... *puzzled*

Here's a side by side comparison.
fmdp.jpg

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Here's an image from Terminator Salvation, a 4 year old Xbox 360 release:

terminator_salvation10.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

3 fully rendered terminators with correct metallic look. Pinball Arcade only needs to render one of the heads...

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
Well, aside from the purple hue, a few less polygons, and lack of reflections, it looks pretty good! I'm sure the ipad version will look great. ;)

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012

fmdp.jpg

It's not even close...

This model shouldn't have passed approval. It needs redone, plain and simple

I'm sure this is early screens of an alpha build. Something like this can and should be fixed for the final release.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
fmdp.jpg

Very nice work Drawken. Very nice indeed.

So I take it, the Xbox environment they always get these shots from... that there's a purple neon light in the window that sez "pinball" just outside of camera view?

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Very nice work Drawken. Very nice indeed.

So I take it, the Xbox environment they always get these shots from... that there's a purple neon light in the window that sez "pinball" just outside of camera view?

lol

PS3 cant do chrome at 60 fps and reflect its environment real time :p
HighSpeedRing_zps390957b7.jpg

GT5

I see your GT5 for PlayStation 3 and raise you T3 for PlayStation 2.

Last edited:

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Maybe it is chrome... but you can't tell because of the pinkish purple alien who is playing the pinball machine and emanating his glowing skintone onto the pinball machine.

Maybe someone in the Farsight art department is color blind?

Last edited:

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
Maybe it is chrome... but you can't tell because of the pinkish purple alien who is playing the pinball machine and emanating his glowing skintone onto the pinball machine.

Maybe someone in the Farsight art department is color blind?

That's exactly what it is. The ambient light source is tinting the metallic shader on the skull. If that light was pure white this discussion wouldn't even be happening right now. The shader itself is quite good actually, it does need the blurry reflections to be reduced by about 50% though.

I do 3d animation for a living and I can tell you outright that most of the examples you guys pull from other systems are not real-time reflections. 90 percent of the time they are environment maps that help simulate reflections.

A change in the overall lighting of that scene and some tweaks to fix the mesh on that skull and it would look dead on.

N

netizen

most of the examples you guys pull from other systems are not real-time reflections. 90 percent of the time they are environment maps that help simulate reflections.

A change in the overall lighting of that scene and some tweaks to fix the mesh on that skull and it would look dead on.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
That's exactly what it is. The ambient light source is tinting the metallic shader on the skull. If that light was pure white this discussion wouldn't even be happening right now. The shader itself is quite good actually, it does need the blurry reflections to be reduced by about 50% though.

I do 3d animation for a living and I can tell you outright that most of the examples you guys pull from other systems are not real-time reflections. 90 percent of the time they are environment maps that help simulate reflections.

I think "Tweeks" is putting it nicely.

The skull is really ugly no two "bones" about it har har. It looks closer to an ape skull than a human...errr robot. Considering how close the cowboy toy was on Cactus Canyon I assumed Farsight was using some sort of 3d scanner. Guess not? But regardless how can they get that so right and this so wrong? Different artists?

The examples were pulling are ancient ones. Whether its real time reflections, environmental maps, or a Harry Potter magic spell, the fact is I've seen better looking chrome in Nintendo 64 games. My old GSXR had a chrome pipe if that's Crome it's the dullest chrome I've ever seen purple tinted or not.

Well here's hoping they change out the pink light bulb for a white one and sort this out.

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012

fmdp.jpg

I think Farsight now models all toys in purple Playdoh first.

I assume they have already made this table on the PS4 as well (according to the last newsletter they didn't hAve enough time for a picture clue because they were hard at work on the PS4 iirc).

I wonder if they would purposely dumb a few graphics down on the PS3 version to make the PS4 version look more impressive. Sounds crazy, I know...

night

May 18, 2012

I gave it a try in PS, left is a desaturated version of the TPA skull (simulating the environmental tinting of the shader to 'off'), MUCH better. Right I tweaked the highlights more. But I doubt if this thing has real-time reflection, just like the ball. I don't think so. We'll have to see how it behaves in the game. But this could be a very good solution compared to the pink skull.

skull.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts