Table you have REALLY tried to learned, but you still SUCK bad

Advalle

Jul 18, 2012
I have learned the frigging ruleset of MM, i have been trying on and off, but the outcome is still suckness no matter what. I score around over 10,000 place on leaderboaeds at a massive 67 Million pts. I just dont get how to make the scoring work for me. But I will keep coming back. This table started to make more sense after playing ATM. I am liking it more and more. It just feels like the pinball gods are making me work harder for this one Ill tell you.

So, tell us which table you keep trying only to maintain a sucking status.

gypsyshred

Apr 12, 2012
For me, its Funhouse. It seems fairly universally popular, but it hasn't grown on me. It seems so random and claustrophobic.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
I have learned the frigging ruleset of MM, i have been trying on and off, but the outcome is still suckness no matter what. I score around over 10,000 place on leaderboaeds at a massive 67 Million pts. I just dont get how to make the scoring work for me. But I will keep coming back. This table started to make more sense after playing ATM. I am liking it more and more. It just feels like the pinball gods are making me work harder for this one Ill tell you.

So, tell us which table you keep trying only to maintain a sucking status.

If all you want is score on MM, shoot the castle. Only do the castle - don't bother with anything else. Destroying the castles gets you 2+4+6+8+10+20 (Payne), and hitting the gates gets you 100,000x2, 200,000x3, ... all the way up to 1,000,000 x 6 or 7 which will get you all the way to 80+M easy. (That's the tournament strategy). If you want to spice it up, do the pheasant ramp and stack up the hurry-ups because those things go up FAST. 1M, 3M, etc.

Of course, if you want fun, play with everything else and have fun because the tourney strategy is very boring.

For me, every other table :).

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Wrong thread maybe, but so, what's a tip for doing castles fast? Castle shots seem to drain a lot when done from the right flipper, and the ball returning from the table always has me trap the ball on the right flipper. The only easy trap on the left flipper for me, is the Merlin kickout, and I can't seem to properly hit the castle when the ball is coming down through the return lane. Do you post pass a lot?

Last edited:

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Oh, and for me the on-topic contenders would be Monster Bash and, as mentioned, Medieval Madness.

On MB I just can't seem to get to Monsters of Rock, ever, which seems to be the only way to get a comparable score.
I'm aware of the strategy, of activating all monsters just before Frankenstein multiball, but I'm having a hard time controlling my shots enough to get close to activating them without actually doing it. And once I do start multiball, I'm having a real difficult time keeping it.
Generally I tend to make Bride and especially Wolf shots without intending it, way too often. Also, Frank shots end in way too many draings for me.

As for Medieval Madness, it's just a drain monster to me. Often I drain my first ball before even completing the second castle. Reaching Battle for the Kingdom is not even close to being within my reach. As comparison, I've reached wizard mode multiple times in one game on tables like TOTAN and CV.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
MM took me a month of solid play before I felt like things finally clicked, at first 80M seemed like an impossibility. It's probably the only table I fully understand the rule set. I can get to BFTK every other ball now but I rarely actually complete BFTK. It's amazing what the pressure of 10 seconds per gate hit does to your play. Once you complete BFTK if you can get into the bumpers often enough you can rack up a huge multiplier which really opens up the big scores.

The other thing with MM is I nudge all the time - this is easy on the Xbox. On Android I've not really played MM because of the limited nudging - I might give it a go today though and see how I do.

Ripley's is one table I have always sucked at. I just can't seem to get a decent score on it.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Oh, and for me the on-topic contenders would be Monster Bash and, as mentioned, Medieval Madness.

On MB I just can't seem to get to Monsters of Rock, ever, which seems to be the only way to get a comparable score.
I'm aware of the strategy, of activating all monsters just before Frankenstein multiball, but I'm having a hard time controlling my shots enough to get close to activating them without actually doing it. And once I do start multiball, I'm having a real difficult time keeping it.
Generally I tend to make Bride and especially Wolf shots without intending it, way too often. Also, Frank shots end in way too many draings for me.

As for Medieval Madness, it's just a drain monster to me. Often I drain my first ball before even completing the second castle. Reaching Battle for the Kingdom is not even close to being within my reach. As comparison, I've reached wizard mode multiple times in one game on tables like TOTAN and CV.

I think MB seems to be indicative of actual tournament play. Monsters of Rock is supposed to be hard to get to which is why it's one of my favorite tables. My nemesis table is creature. I know the rule sheet fairly well but I just can't get into the table as much as the others.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I am terrible at just about every machine made before the 70s. I particularly dislike those "controlled drain" ones, where there are holes that score points, but drain the ball, or flippers that are a mile apart. See Central Park and Ace High on the Gottlieb collection for a good illustration.

Last edited:

neilpinbot

Apr 4, 2012
Not that I would say I suck at STTNG but every time I play now I'm obsessed with getting up to warp 10, got up to around 9.8 a few times then always start twitching and lose the ball.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Up until recently it was RBION even though i'm not very good at keeping the two ball multiballs going very long. I know what i have to do but i'm not very good at doing it, but my scores are getting way up there (by my standards anyway).

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
I just can't figure out AFM - rpobably too much MM built in for me and the different scoring means it really screws me up. I've only gotten the replay/extra ball score ONCE in all the time. Most of my other attempst aren't even close.

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
Definitely ST:TNG. It's really driving me crazy because I'm a huge Star Trek fan but I'm really starting to hate this table. I can never seem to get the ball to go where I want unless it's by accident. Generally I'm lucky to even keep the ball in play for more than a few seconds. On some tables (Bride of Pinbot, Scared Stiff) it seems almost too easy to make some shots while on this table certain shots feel almost impossible to (intentionally) make. Maybe I just need more practice.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
I would definitely have to say BH for me. It's the one table that I completely despise and I still can't for the life of me, get the final 250,000 or so at the lower playing field. I did it only on the Vita. I can't on the 360 or PS3 for some reason.

I'm also having difficulty with Gorgar. Those drains are frickin' killing me. Although I can keep the ball in play for a bit with nudges, sometimes it just doesn't do the trick. :( Getting that special from the 1-2-3-4 spots is tough. Did it on the 360, but proving to be a challenge on the PS3.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
I found that when trying to intentionally go for 1-2-3-4, it never worked for me. But just trying to keep the ball in play for a long time, I would eventually get it on its own.

If the ball gets out of control, try to nudge it into the slingshots, they will always send the ball upwards so it eventually hits the bumpers or the little edge on the left side of the playfield.

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
Wrong thread maybe, but so, what's a tip for doing castles fast? Castle shots seem to drain a lot when done from the right flipper, and the ball returning from the table always has me trap the ball on the right flipper. The only easy trap on the left flipper for me, is the Merlin kickout, and I can't seem to properly hit the castle when the ball is coming down through the return lane. Do you post pass a lot?

the castle shot is safe from either flipper when the drawbridge is up. when it's down, it's a bit of a deathtrap from the right flipper, and slightly less so from the left (although still risky). it's true that the table is constantly trying to get you to trap with the right flipper, so learn to pass the ball from flipper to flipper. a quick (but not TOO quick) tap on the right flipper will send the ball over for an easy trap on the the left. you can take that shot and do a little better than the right, but ultimately the best way to beat the tougher castles is to bash the castle gate during multiball. i try to save Multiball Madness for the third castle's gate, and Castle Multiball for some castle following that. It saves a few drains per game.

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
Cirqus Voltaire. The outlanes which are hard to control, that big ball, the playfield which lacks every flow.. I HATE it!! :)

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
Not that I would say I suck at STTNG but every time I play now I'm obsessed with getting up to warp 10, got up to around 9.8 a few times then always start twitching and lose the ball.

Warp 10 is not theoretically possible, at least by the definition of Warp in use during Picard's era. It's true that on the original series, Kirk's Enterprise was accelerated past Warp 10 on multiple occasions, but they used a different Warp scale. in 2316, the scale was recalibrated to some kind of logarithmic (as opposed to linear) scale, so that Warp 10 was equivalent to "infinite velocity", which is of course not an actual attainable thing. (let's not acknowledge the events of the Voyager episode "Threshold"). Anyway, all i'm trying to say is your goal is Warp 9.9, not Warp 10, so you're even closer than you think :)

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I just can't figure out AFM - rpobably too much MM built in for me and the different scoring means it really screws me up. I've only gotten the replay/extra ball score ONCE in all the time. Most of my other attempst aren't even close.

I'm pretty awesome at both versions of this on VP and this version is hard. Love/hate it hard for me.

I was going to write a tactics and strategy but damn i suck at this table lol. And I've known the rules for quite some time

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Warp 10 is not theoretically possible, at least by the definition of Warp in use during Picard's era. It's true that on the original series, Kirk's Enterprise was accelerated past Warp 10 on multiple occasions, but they used a different Warp scale. in 2316, the scale was recalibrated to some kind of logarithmic (as opposed to linear) scale, so that Warp 10 was equivalent to "infinite velocity", which is of course not an actual attainable thing. (let's not acknowledge the events of the Voyager episode "Threshold"). Anyway, all i'm trying to say is your goal is Warp 9.9, not Warp 10, so you're even closer than you think :)

Wow that was nerdilicious! My hat's off to you sir.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.