Tables you were completely wrong about.

Rich Lehmann

Aug 26, 2014
We all know which tables are great and which totally suck but what tables have you been completely wrong about?

I was super against TX Sector and Hurricane but now have to admit they are awesome.

While on the other had I was really excited about Road Show and Starship Troopers but quickly learned to hate them.

And which tables eventually won you over? I used to hate Black Hole, but trying to finish all the wizard goals the table finally clicked with me and now I love it.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Negative:
Earthshaker!: Turned out so much more boring than I expected.
No Fear: Ramps, loops, a jump, Steve Ritchie. All things I love about a pinball. But the continuous onslaught of the ball coming right back at ya just tired me out.

Positive:
Jack*bot: Wow! Who knew changing just the ruleset could be this compelling?
8 Ball Deluxe: I thought I'd like it. I didn't know how much. I just keep playing this.

geohoo

May 31, 2013
I thought I'd enjoy EBD more. But certain games which could be fun as long playing games are too frustrating with drains at the speed of light with no way to react, like this game. But at least the shots are accurate on Eight Ball. Games like Junkyard are terrible because it's too hard to be accurate on the shots. That and the way too frequent Save The Girl feature makes Junkyard game maybe the worst. (I was really frustrated by that game during the tournament that just finished.

karl

May 10, 2012
Negative:
Earthshaker!: Turned out so much more boring than I expected.
No Fear: Ramps, loops, a jump, Steve Ritchie. All things I love about a pinball. But the continuous onslaught of the ball coming right back at ya just tired me out.

Positive:
Jack*bot: Wow! Who knew changing just the ruleset could be this compelling?
8 Ball Deluxe: I thought I'd like it. I didn't know how much. I just keep playing this.

The acquisition of my brain is fulfilled :p That is so close to how I feel that I feel possessed and abused :)

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
Thought I'd like: Black Rose, Champion Pub, Safecracker, Terminator 2. Can't stand any of em.

Thought I'd hate: Roadshow, Indy 500, 8 Ball Deluxe. All great little games when I gave them a chance.

karl

May 10, 2012
Thought I'd like: Black Rose, Champion Pub, Safecracker, Terminator 2. Can't stand any of em.

Thought I'd hate: Roadshow, Indy 500, 8 Ball Deluxe. All great little games when I gave them a chance.

Agree with everything.....except T2. That one is still a classic, in my book

geohoo

May 31, 2013
Interesting thread, Rich. There are various games I've gone back to which I originally didn't care for but wanted to try them again to try to improve my HoF or high scores ranking. Some of the simpler old games are like that, like Big Shot and Genie. I thought I'd enjoy the old game from my youth, Fireball, but there's not enough to it to hold my interest. Indianapolis 500 is great. I first thought "Not another in the series. That makes three. But that game has it all. Great play. Never played it in the arcades.

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
Negative: FISH TALES is a total downer for me. When it was in beta it felt right, i hit all the shots i normally do IRL, but once released it hasn't felt right since.

Negative: JUNK YARD - I LOVE the table IRL but it's just way too easy in TPA.

Positive: ADDAMS FAMILY, TWILIGHT ZONE, ROAD SHOW - Absolutely nailed these 3.

karl

May 10, 2012
Negative: FISH TALES is a total downer for me. When it was in beta it felt right, i hit all the shots i normally do IRL, but once released it hasn't felt right since.

Negative: JUNK YARD - I LOVE the table IRL but it's just way too easy in TPA.

Positive: ADDAMS FAMILY, TWILIGHT ZONE, ROAD SHOW - Absolutely nailed these 3.

You don't feel that Twilight Zone is a bit too easy in the app? The shots feel right and nice to nail. But for me, getting 3-4 Lost in the zone in one game just doesn't feel right

Last edited:

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
You don't feel that Twilight Zone is a bit too easy in the app? The shots feel right and nice to nail. But for me, getting 3-4 Lost in the zone in one game just doesn't feel right

All TPA recreations are easier than the real thing if you ask me. 3 LITZ in one game? You're a hell of a lot better than I am.

soundwave106

Nov 6, 2013
All TPA recreations are easier than the real thing if you ask me. 3 LITZ in one game? You're a hell of a lot better than I am.

My personal high score in TZ is 14.8 billion. That's a lot of LITZs. I'm not even in the top 100. :p

I think the other two (TAF and Road Show) are also easier than real life, but not quite so bad.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I initially hated RBION. After like 2 years, I played it, and for some reason something just clicked. I got it and I've loved it ever since.

I remember being really real ly very excited for Scared Stiff, and ending up playing Big Shot for some four months straight, even ignoring new tables for a bit.

I was excited for Haunted House based on user descriptions but I hate it something fierce.

I'm just getting aquainted with seasons 4 and 5 right now (except the getaway, had that day one) so I'm sure there are others to comment on.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014

It's drastically easier than IRL, IMO. All the Season 1 tables are. CftBL, MM, SS, TZ are all too easy...

Every TZ I've played as been ruthless compared to the TPA version.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Can't say I've been surprised in a positive way by any tables.

Two that have disappointed: RBION and Twilight Zone. Thought they'd be fun but I find them to be poorly designed, ugly, and not any fun.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Can't say I've been surprised in a positive way by any tables.

Two that have disappointed: RBION and Twilight Zone. Thought they'd be fun but I find them to be poorly designed, ugly, and not any fun.

What do you like? Do you just mean the TPA versions or the tables in general?

TPA was my gateway into Pinball. Indiana, man... :(

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I desperately wanted to like StarShip Troopers but I can't get those shots working and can't play it controlled.
I used to totally hate Dr. Dude, and although I still dislike the art, theme and sounds, I have warmed up to the gameplay quite a bit
In general I have been surprised how much I have liked the EM's and 70s/80s tables. IRL I have been a DMD-style pinhead all the way, being spoonfed with 90's tables. TPA helped me to appreciate target shooting on those older tables and not miss multiball, toys and (wizard) modes that much.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Bigges positive surprise for me has been Fish Tales. Played it many times in real life and was always disappointed in it, other than the video mode. But I'm in love with the TPA version of it. Can't really explain it.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.