The 4th of July

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * The 4th of July

* Usually, I blog about about things that have to do with pinball. After all, this is a forum about the silver ball. But I thought I would spend a moment to say what the 4th of July means to me.
* For a great many people, The 4th is a time to hang out at the pool, go on a picnic with family, maybe take in a parade. And of course, there is every child's (and most adults) favorite, fireworks.
* If you've studied history, it will tell you how the colonists fought the oppression of King George. There was resentment towards the Crown, trying to govern from across the Atlantic. So, when petition to represent themselves failed, the colonists were left no choice but to fight for their right to live free.
* The families of those that fought worried day and night until they returned from battle. Not all of the revolutionists returned. Many of those that did were changed. They had seen carnage on a large scale. Some were wounded, missing an arm or a leg, and not only were they changed, but those around them changed.
* Thru the years, thru the many different wars, incursions, police actions, whatever they were called, that worry remained. My father did a tour of duty in Vietnam. Even though he was away from the front lines, he was still in danger. He wrote about people sneaking up to the fences around the base and throwing explosives. A few mortar shells were fired in attempts to destroy the planes or kill the Americans. My uncle was in the front lines, and and the fun-loving young man that left for his tour returned a different man. He had the classic symptoms of PTSD, although we didn't know it at the time. But, at least he came home. Some of his friends did not.
* I won't turn this into a political speech, I'll leave that to others. But I will say this: my heroes *are my dad and uncle. My heroes are those that work for the security of this nation. My heroes are those that have given their lives for the ideals of the United States. So, when you are pool-side having a drink today, getting ready for the fireworks tonight, give a silent tip of the hat to those that made the 4th of July possible.
* And now, back to pinball...

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.