The Addams Family Kickstarter is LIVE

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Well, since the original Addam's Family is a comic, FS can easily duplicate that look. Honestly, if you didn't tell me that was Lloyd, I wouldn't have noticed. I'm still not certain it looks like him.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
I truly don't get the appeal for all these tournaments, esp when the issues and hacked scores are endless?

Come to think of it idk why I care either. When I play a tournament I get a mind set where I "focus" (cftbl) and am able to top my previous best. I should try to keep that mentality at all times during pinball play. I will never achieve a first place score at my current skill level any way. Go TAP! I hope Adams Family succeeds and BTTF, Seawitch, Sorcerer, all the tables suggested, hope Farsight takes this as far as they can.

Terminator

Feb 8, 2014
FS could try edit this image to replace the original:
883962.jpg

Off2War

Jul 29, 2013
Guys does anyone know why my amazon account is now saying "This functionality is disabled on your account as your account is in a suspended state"

I only just signed up a few days ago to the kickstarter and to Amazon just to back this table and now i cant...

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Guys does anyone know why my amazon account is now saying "This functionality is disabled on your account as your account is in a suspended state"

I only just signed up a few days ago to the kickstarter and to Amazon just to back this table and now i cant...

Send a support email to Amazon

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that I bit the bullet and backed for a cool 100$! With the usual surge late in the campaign this is gonna fund for sure, let's hope it follows the pattern! I must be crazy to pump this kind of money into one app..... :)

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that I bit the bullet and backed for a cool 100$! With the usual surge late in the campaign this is gonna fund for sure, let's hope it follows the pattern! I must be crazy to pump this kind of money into one app..... :)

I feel the same

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012
A little off-topic, but whatever.

I was listening to a video game radio show that airs locally this week and the host mentioned possibly doing a pinball episode once a year now, so the producer looked up a local place that has a bunch of machines including Addams Family. The other guy on the show works for Game Informer and he said Addams Family actually helped kill off the pinball market since there was so many made and that people didn't want to replace them with newer machines because it was too popular.
I had never heard this before, and I think it's plausible, but when I tried to dig up some info about it, I came up empty. Anyone else hear of this before?

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
The other guy on the show works for Game Informer and he said Addams Family actually helped kill off the pinball market since there was so many made and that people didn't want to replace them with newer machines because it was too popular.

Nah.

In the 90s arcades started vanishing and home consoles became all the rage. With video game arcades on the way out there weren't a lot of places for pinball machines to appear. Plus they're expensive and difficult to keep in working order. If there's no profit in it then they're gonna vanish. It was only a matter of time.

The thing is the 90's were a great time for pinball machines. After Addams you still had highly popular machines like Indy, Medieval Madness, Attack from Mars, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, etc. And one machine isn't going to make you stop playing anything else. Also in the 90's was the video game Doom which everyone was praising as the "best game evah!". And for awhile it certainly was but that certainly didn't stop anyone from playing other first person shooters. :)

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Every known table released from 1992 onwards; not all of them have production run numbers. Make of it what you will. There was certainly a peak in 1992-93; the last one with known 10k+ units was STTNG in '93.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?yr=1992-&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

[Edit]Even better you can sort on the 'Prod.' column. Click it twice. All the 10k+ tables were 1992-93; all but 3 of the 5k+ tables were 1992-94.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I think the point is, operators did not wanna give up TAF as one of their tables because it was a cash cow. So if they only had 3 tables on location, the rotation just dropped by a 3rd. That is that many fewer locations for distributors to put machines in, so they in turn drop their order number. It's a snowball effect, in theory, but I agree that there were a lot of other factors at play here. I do blame Addams for the proliferation of licensed tables that followed, and I honestly think that did more harm than good. Tables instantly had a freshness date stamped on them, especially if for a current movie. Some movies have staying power (T2, TAF) while others expired almost immediately (Flinstones, Johnny Mnemonic). I'm not criticizing the quality of the game, but the desire to play due to the license it is based on.

mpclemens

Jun 26, 2013
Tables instantly had a freshness date stamped on them, especially if for a current movie.

We call this "planned obsolescence" these days, and it's not a new concept. Pins were reflecting pop culture for decades before TAF.

Home consoles pretty much killed the arcade, and pins with them. Any product that, by design, bashes itself to play has a built-in lifespan. It's why I'm so thrilled to have TPA's recreation of tables like (fingers crossed) TAF, or personal touchstones like Haunted House.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
We call this "planned obsolescence" these days, and it's not a new concept. Pins were reflecting pop culture for decades before TAF.

Home consoles pretty much killed the arcade, and pins with them. Any product that, by design, bashes itself to play has a built-in lifespan. It's why I'm so thrilled to have TPA's recreation of tables like (fingers crossed) TAF, or personal touchstones like Haunted House.

I'm very thankful we still have an arcade in town, and it's actually pretty huge. (That's what she said.)

If you're on Facebook, check out https://www.facebook.com/pages/MegaPlay/190700204386709

mpclemens

Jun 26, 2013
I'm very thankful we still have an arcade in town, and it's actually pretty huge. (That's what she said.)

If you're on Facebook, check out https://www.facebook.com/pages/MegaPlay/190700204386709

I happen to live close enough to the Pacific Pinball Museum (PPM) which is just about as excellent as life can get for a pinhead:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pacific-Pinball-Museum/163737757012960

Grew up bumming around in arcades (and haunting the back, where the pins were kept, of course.) A new TAF was a regular stop years later in grad school at the arcade just off campus. PPM's TAF was out of commission on my last visit, so I'm rooting for the Kickstarter to come through (lookit: I'm back on-topic.)

Virtual isn't the same as real, but then, I would have sold my siblings into slavery as a child to have the technology I carry with me. "You mean I can play tables on this little screen? All day? WITH NO QUARTERS?!"

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
You've never met my siblings.

"24/7 Haunted House? Bye, bro. Nice knowin' ya."

I think I'd rather be sold into slavery than play that game again. lol

It was a major disappointment for me. I was hoping it would be better, and more fun, than "Black Hole". Boy, was it anything but.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.