The Addams Family - Progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
They won't be getting a cent from me.

I buy all their products already, but they are an established profit making business. Have you all forgotten what kick start means? It's for new ventures, not greedy ones who think the customers should pay the set up costs for new products

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
I understand what your saying, but I don't get the impression Farsight are a massive greedy company.
Lets say they turn a small profit each month, but cannot afford big licensing fees.
Should they just not bother making licensed tables then? I mean they are hardly EA are they?
What would you suggest then, instead of Kickstarter?

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012

I buy all their products already, but they are an established profit making business. Have you all forgotten what kick start means? It's for new ventures, not greedy ones who think the customers should pay the set up costs for new products

Farsight is not PepsiCo. They're a little fish in a big pond - would a company two or three times their size have had the same problems Farsight did with the X360? Raising funds to acquire Hollywood licenses (and the little licenses along with them) like T2, TZ, and Addam's is perfectly reasonable for a small company like them.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012

They looked into it and said that the extra expense big licenses cost could never be recouped through normal revenue streams. The Kickstarter only covers licensing costs - creating the tables themselves is on them.

I hope they don't try to appeal to the "average" player by making this easy this, like they did with TZ, FH, and BOP, among others. Yes, TZ was the last table they did this with, more or less, but the itch to "go Apple" might come with a hot property like this.

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
Huh. Well maybe someone will agree with me later then.

Please don't get the idea I am anti-FS as I completely support them as a happy customer should, with purchasing their product, I just think they are taking the piss.

I think they are relying on the fact that so many of us love pinball and it's still not out there available to play, so they know we will pay. And I think they are depending on people saying that they're not Pepsi and are hardly making any money, so it's okay for them to ask for help. Well I think that business model stinks. I will pay them $1000 when they offer me 1% of the profits they will make from selling this game. They didn't invent pinball, or digital pinball, or the Addams Family, or TAF pinball. They're a company making a profit and I salute and support them.

But not with a charity bucket being handed round the pub. There's no kid dying of cancer. There's no clock running down. There's just a bunch of executives who'd rather not spend their bonus.

N

netizen

Had they not lumped the kickstarted tables into the season passes there would have been a greater opportunity to recoup the monies needed for later licenses. By including them in the passes they never really had the chance to market them in any way that would net a recoupable profit, IMO.

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
Had they not lumped the kickstarted tables into the season passes there would have been a greater opportunity to recoup the monies needed for later licenses. By including them in the passes they never really had the chance to market them in any way that would net a recoupable profit, IMO.
They could sell them separately and even more expensive. Otoh it helps selling season passes if there are some top tables included. Season 3 had only 1 top 25 table so far.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
It remains to be seen if there will be a Steam pass for Season 4. There certainly won't be for other platforms (thx Apple).

N

netizen

Season Passes are still a fairly new concept, and I don't think they were well thought out from a marketing perspective with regards to the full planning of a "season" until Season 3. Remember, the whole game was also a carte until 3-4 packs into season 2, and that may have been a scramble to pre-sell the Gottliebs that were re-dos from PHOF as well as to try and get a quick cash injection. Outside of "hardcore" pinball fans no-one cares where a table is ranked, they just want to enjoy how it plays or get some nostalgia from the digitisation of it.

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
Hello All,

I am super happy to see this kickstarter come to light, much earlier than expected. It almost sounds too much to be true at the moment. None the less I really wish this gets the marketing push that the T2 failed at. This needs alot of attention. Not something just to get excited over. People need to spread this over the vast reaches of the earth, sort of speak. What makes or breaks this from succeeding are those who aren't even much of a big fan of pinball. (Stretch-goals might be over ambitious but may in fact push this forward as well).

I am also hesitant to donate also, simply due to the fact that Farsight won't receive a dime of it. Personally I wish to back this just to visit their office in CA for a 100 dollars, for example, and still have to pay for the table after it succeeds out of my own pocket.

This way their sales are up for the table to show for... I could always pay for platforms I don't use and even everything out, but what's the fun in that?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I hope they get creative with the tier rewards. That's what gets people to spend more than they intended. The beta tester idea in the T2 ks really gave a nice push.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
I hope they get creative with the tier rewards. That's what gets people to spend more than they intended. The beta tester idea in the T2 ks really gave a nice push.

Right. If the goal is going to be 80k+ they'll need several enticing high end teir rewards. The beta reward will get a few more but will be a drop in the bucket overall. There will be quite a few $10 and $25 pledges but those are only going to cover 25-35k goal at the most, from what I'm seeing in the previous Kickstarters.

So I really hope they do the Addams Family CE edition as an exclusive higher end tier rewards. Its a great additonal reward and i think a large number of people would pony up $$ to get the additonal table - i would. Short term it may cost them a bit to get the table to scan and spend manpower making it but long term it would likely pay off. They could continue to use the table in future Kickstarters to help make those goals and use the table as tourney rewards.

A win win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.