The Dark Side of TPA: over-exertion and injuries

invitro

May 4, 2012
That is an insane number. Even I'm only at 1200, and something like a third of that is overnight pauses. Youmust leave TPA running but idle a helluva lot, right?

Hell, the PC version only came out about 850 days ago. You've averaged six hours every single day since release?!
Yes, I leave it running a lot. A whole lot. Maybe even more now that I can run it windowed and it doesn't crash, so I can play a few minutes, then program a few minutes, then do chores a few minutes, then go back to playing, etc. I have no idea how much time I'm actually playing it. I think the 5105 (now 5114) number is quite amusing.

Still, needless to say, I don't have any relationship problems. :( :)

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
Great topic! I've realized that playing TPA on a phone or tablet isn't a good idea for me. If I play on a phone or tablet for more than 5-10 minutes I'll end up with shoulder/arm pain. Oddly, it tends to only be on my left side. Most of the time I play TPA on PC/Steam using a keyboard. So far I haven't run into any issues playing that way, even for extended periods of time.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
I find that real pinball takes a much larger toll on me than TPA ever could. I've physically injured myself playing real pinball.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
In the late 80's, early 90's we had a top player who had to retire from international competition because of repetitive strain injury in his wrists. He couldn't perform in his work anymore because of that and had to choose. If I remember correctly he is called Joska Keunekamp. So there are some real risks involved here.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
About a week ago I put in a few bi-daily sessions, a few hours at a time, my wrist and elbow were bothering me by the third day.. reminds me of when I had to take a pain reliever daily near the end of my MMO days. After a few days of rest I played for a bit on a different table and the pain came back quickly.

All of that happened with just a controller, arms sitting comfortably in my lap.

the two recent games were 29hr's over 6 days and 9hrs over 2 days.. was going to go for 12 but a rom bug helped me score quicker.

World record holders go through some ordeals no matter what the game.

Last edited:

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
About a week ago I put in a few bi-daily sessions, a few hours at a time, my wrist and elbow were bothering me by the third day.. reminds me of when I had to take a pain reliever daily near the end of my MMO days. After a few days of rest I played for a bit on a different table and the pain came back quickly.

All of that happened with just a controller, arms sitting comfortably in my lap.

the two recent games were 29hr's over 6 days and 9hrs over 2 days.. was going to go for 12 but a rom bug helped me score quicker.

World record holders go through some ordeals no matter what the game.

I can't believe the only description we get of the pin played by that lady is 'a deluxe pinball machine'. And it's on loan from Slash. One might suspect Guns 'n Roses to be the one then, but that may be too simple....It's like asking my girlfriend what new car her father bought and only getting the colour in response... :)

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Great topic! I've realized that playing TPA on a phone or tablet isn't a good idea for me. If I play on a phone or tablet for more than 5-10 minutes I'll end up with shoulder/arm pain. Oddly, it tends to only be on my left side. Most of the time I play TPA on PC/Steam using a keyboard. So far I haven't run into any issues playing that way, even for extended periods of time.

Shoulder and arm pain is mostly caused by cervical disc problems and is often made worse by looking down - ie: disc prolapse or oesteophytes apply pressure on the nerve roots. That explains why you get it using a tablet and not a PC where I suspect you have the monitor at eye level. I am always telling my kids to hold their phones high up and don't look down. In the next 20 years the current generation of youngsters will have a multitude of spinal neck problems caused by poor use of mobile devices. Neurosurgeons will be raking it in.

AnvilCloud

Jun 25, 2016
I have great games sometimes standing and playing, I thought it was crazy my Steam says I put in 800 + hrs, half of them from me falling asleep with the game running, 5000 is some serious play time!

If Have pains, try learning some Qi Gong it has done wonders for my back, and I think it helps me play better if I do it right before. Also those door mounted pullup bars are great if just to hang from and stretch out. Hope any suffering find releif

I can attest. Depending on which qigong you train and who you learn from, I've never found a set of physical exercises that create better joint health ( disregarding taijiquan and such).

I play TPA mostly on tablet or my Galaxy Note 3 and the tips of the fingers tend to feel it after extended periods of play.

AnvilCloud

Jun 25, 2016
Shoulder and arm pain is mostly caused by cervical disc problems and is often made worse by looking down - ie: disc prolapse or oesteophytes apply pressure on the nerve roots. That explains why you get it using a tablet and not a PC where I suspect you have the monitor at eye level. I am always telling my kids to hold their phones high up and don't look down. In the next 20 years the current generation of youngsters will have a multitude of spinal neck problems caused by poor use of mobile devices. Neurosurgeons will be raking it in.

Absolutely. People need to learn to not be so lazy, hold the phone/tablet up close to eye level.

Having worked in IT for years, people can often develop shoulder issues from using a mouse.

EccentricFlower

May 4, 2015
I have plenty of physical issues resulting from sitting at a desk in front of a PC all day at work, so I'm not sure if it's TPA-related or not. Besides I was playing games a lot for a long time before TPA came along.

However... my main issue I will call Toddler Push Buttonitis. It occurs in one of two ways:
1. If I'm playing on my tablet, my son will sometimes want to join in, in what he believes is two-player co-op mode - otherwise known as "Daddy, you're playing pinball, I press the screen too!". This results in tilts or ill-timed flips, and tantrums (from both of us).
2. If I'm playing on my PC, I have to remember to lock the PC as well as pause the game. Otherwise I may come back to find the controller in the hands of someone unauthorized, and my promising game reduced to a bunch of very quick drains.

I need a Favorite button, darn it!

Bravewall

Jul 5, 2014
Its just like anything else. If you do it the wrong way, you can **** up your body. You go to work out without stretching first, you **** up your body. You work all day in a cubicle, and you don't take the time to at least get up an walk around, you'll **** up your body. You take this game too seriously, yeah you can **** up your body.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts