The more i want to achieve the worse it gets!

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
Hey guys and girls,

Yesterday night i was gonne go for the goals and a decend topscore for whirlwind.

I failed epicly, although thats how i feel after only missing one wizard goal and 28 million points.

Every first ball, or extra i got, all mutilballs always drained instantly or a few secs after that, for more then 4 hours of trying. I was dehumanised by this pin, he hammered me and i had no weapons to fight back.

And then i suddenly saw it. Cause when i just play for fun, i get much better high scores, wizard goals pop up without knowing i did them. I am just twice the player when i am relaxed instead of hunting for goals and scores.

A good example of this is the 1 ball challenge on this forum, cause after 3 pins i had hit the ball only once, lol.

But ok, this topic is to discuss what kind of player are you? Do you get higher scores when only playing for fun?

Or are you the real match player?

Have fun and cheers

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
What you've just laid out is the exact reason why I avoid the tournaments. I just can't do them. I over think everyshot. My timing is always off because I'm very aware instead of just reacting. I freeze whenever I need to nudge, and when I do nudge, I tilt. It's like everyshot is a 2 strikes, bottom of the ninth situation. I can't do it!

I never look at the achievements when I get a new table. I just play and read the goals after I get them.

N

netizen

Since i started playing with the new touch nudge scheme I suck when i am trying to actually achieve something. Previously when I was playing with shake nudge I was getting to the point where I could call my shots and make my goals when i wanted them. It seems that changing my play style has totally altered how I am able to play with any consistency.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
As someone who plays competitively in real life, I can tell you I do much better when I'm not playing in league. This is probably for the same reason that shots instantly become much harder when they're lit for big payoffs: You start thinking about the need to make the shot, how awesome it would be to make the shot, how much it would suck not to make the shot...in short, everything but actually making the damned shot!

Conversely, I've had games where I'm not really aiming for anything in particular and suddenly I have 400 million points that I'm not really sure where they came from, because I have become so focused on the ball that the shots are almost taking care of themselves. Again, as soon as I'm aware I'm in this state, it's over and a drain usually follows swiftly. There's a definite Zen quality to it (as in meditation, not those other pinball people).

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
Zen quality on a pinball arcade fansite, hahaha, thats nasty man, lol.

But i understand what you mean, sometimes you get in the zone and every ball you flip is a hit, and again, like you say, just the second you are getting aware you are playing great, the ball drains.

Its just like darts.

Lucipher28

Banned
Jul 16, 2013
I'm one goal away from advancing to the Wizard goals on "Big Shot". It's been driving me crazy.

I got one Wizard goal left for "Elvira and the Party Monsters".

KillerCobra

Banned
Aug 4, 2013
I'm one goal away from advancing to the Wizard goals on "Big Shot". It's been driving me crazy.

I got one Wizard goal left for "Elvira and the Party Monsters".

I've been trying for weeks to get the goal of both sides completed. That game is very tough.

Wigoutboy

Sep 5, 2012
I always play for fun. Not overly concerned with scores or anything. Just trying to keep the ball alive and get things going on the table. Sometimes I do get a little nervous, like when activating a wizard mode that is hard to activate(I tend to choke when attempting to Join the Circus, for example), but otherwise, I'm just relaxed and happy when I play. I'm not overly obsessed with wizard goals either, but I do want to explore all the features in every table. So far the only one I haven't been able to complete is Rbion. I just find the rule set very complicated.

Also when playing a multiball I just like to juggle the balls. I don't find cradling enjoyable, although I know that when you play your multiballs that way you get better scores.

Last edited:

Lucipher28

Banned
Jul 16, 2013
I always play for fun. Not overly concerned with scores or anything. Just trying to keep the ball alive and get things going on the table. Sometimes I do get a little nervous, like when activating a wizard mode that is hard to activate(I tend to choke when attempting to Join the Circus, for example), but otherwise, I'm just relaxed and happy when I play. I'm not overly obsessed with wizard goals either, but I do want to explore all the features in every table. So far the only one I haven't been able to complete is Rbion. I just find the rule set very complicated.

Also when playing a multiball I just like to juggle the balls. I don't find cradling enjoyable, although I know that when you play your multiballs that way you get better scores.

I'm usually that way too, but recently I've been trying to complete goals, just for the hell of it.

I must admit though, I've had much less fun playing pinball when trying to finish them. I was never seriously into it like some people on here. It's not a sport or anything to me. Hahahaha

Last edited:

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
the only table i ever had a "grudge" match with was flight 2000 to finish the standard goals featuring a two or 3 hour session to activate the multi ball. outside of this i could care less and just play for "fun" and the goals will fall in along with the scores. in most cases i don't even read the ruleset especially on the DMD tables. Sometimes i just figure out the ruleset on the vintage tables during actual game play like flight 2000 .

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
Watch some videos on pinball.org when Bowen is playing and listen to his advices on making the big shots :D

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I always find that exaggerating the movement helps me keep my timing when I'm feeling the pressure of nearing a goal. If its with a controller I squeeze the trigger a little harder and much more abruptly than usual. If its on a real machine I tend to pull my finger back a little further and tap the button pretty sharply. For whatever reason that seems to help me choke less often.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
If its on a real machine I tend to pull my finger back a little further and tap the button pretty sharply. For whatever reason that seems to help me choke less often.

I tend to do that too... As for me playing pinball is a rhythm thing too, it feels like slapping on my bass ;) thus having a more precise timing... And a little nudging isn't that bad either :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.