The Pinball Arcade 2

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
If Zen Studios can do this why can't Farsight?
null_zps64c8ea24.jpg

They could take the things they've learned over the last year+ and apply it to a new frontend TPA.
Doing this when making the Stereoscopic 3D available would be a great time to launch it.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I don't think there's any real answer for that, clearly its possible. The real question is whether their focus has already move to the next-gen versions, which I would actually be ok with. If living with what we have now for another 6+ months means we will have an epic game ready for PS4 launch then I can deal with that.

I just hope they don't say its because they don't want people to have to re-download everything again. Downloads aren't a big deal and we just re-downloaded the core game (which on PS3 holds 8 tables) twice in a week only to change the menus around.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I don't think there's any real answer for that, clearly its possible. The real question is whether their focus has already move to the next-gen versions, which I would actually be ok with. If living with what we have now for another 6+ months means we will have an epic game ready for PS4 launch then I can deal with that.

I just hope they don't say its because they don't want people to have to re-download everything again. Downloads aren't a big deal and we just re-downloaded the core game (which on PS3 holds 8 tables) twice in a week only to change the menus around.

I agree about the downloads. They are generally small for the DLC and we have to re-download the entire TPA every time they update anyway. This is a data blip compared to the likes of Uncharted 3 (50GB+)! :p

I think they could possibly right a lot of their wrongs with a new frontend, allowing for access to modify and fix problems with released tables or include the option to play demo tables.
They haven't given much detail on when or how the stereoscopic 3D will integrate into TPA. Perhaps a TPA2 is the answer for that.

As much as I like what I've seen on the PS4 I will probably wait at least a year to buy it. I have a huge backlog of games to play thanks to PSN Plus and I think the PS3 has much more life in it.
I'm blown away by The Last of Us. It really shows that developers are only now beginning to take full advantage of the PS3's Cell processor.

I also hope Sony doesn't decide to go heavy on DRM. Their silence on the whole issue is probably not a good sign.
I'm sure we will know more this week.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
This will never happen with new hardware just a few months away.

Yes and no. There are a lot of questions and a lot of hesitant buyers out there for the next gen. FarSight is very keen to keep as many people buying packs as possible, and if they shun all the PS3 owners in favor of a few PS4 owners, they might stand to lose them all. Realistically, there's another solid year of sales for PS3 AFTER the launch of PS4. This is a casual game, so to the casual fans who are probably not going to be jumping ship for the next thing, as they casually wait for a price drop, will still be on the current system.

Now then, does FS even have the time to do this? That's the bigger issue.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Yes and no. There are a lot of questions and a lot of hesitant buyers out there for the next gen. FarSight is very keen to keep as many people buying packs as possible, and if they shun all the PS3 owners in favor of a few PS4 owners, they might stand to lose them all. Realistically, there's another solid year of sales for PS3 AFTER the launch of PS4. This is a casual game, so to the casual fans who are probably not going to be jumping ship for the next thing, as they casually wait for a price drop, will still be on the current system.

Now then, does FS even have the time to do this? That's the bigger issue.

Makes sense to me.
Except I feel casual gamers may wait 2 years on this.

I consider myself somewhere between casual and hardcore. I own about 150 PS3 games and enjoy a lot of casual/retro/pinball games and feel the PS3 is still going to deliver what I want to play. This is why I am hoping to see Farsight do as good a job with the PS3 as possible and not save all of their upgrades for the PS4.

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
To me I think the best way to insure long term support from the people that spend the most money on your product...is to fix it any way you can.
I bought every pack so far, with the combination of some of the big ps3 issues and the Vita mess I would be very hesitant to dive into PS4 knowing it'll probably end up the same.
I Think even if I never played the PS3 version again I would want it fixed just for the reassurance they stand behind their product.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
They haven't given much detail on when or how the stereoscopic 3D will integrate into TPA. Perhaps a TPA2 is the answer for that.

They have. It will come out with a pack update. They were shooting for the update that will come out with the Space Shuttle pack. It might not even appear in options so probably not much will change. Many new games that support 3D just turn on automatically when you have 3D turned on your PS3.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
They have. It will come out with a pack update. They were shooting for the update that will come out with the Space Shuttle pack. It might not even appear in options so probably not much will change. Many new games that support 3D just turn on automatically when you have 3D turned on your PS3.

They announced it, but many months ago and no definitive date.

3D would be useless to me without being able to control the intensity of it in options.
My eyes would be fried after 10 minutes of TPA w/ 100% 3D effect.

Every game I play in 3D has this option even when asking to auto-turn on 3D when detecting my PlayStation 3D Display.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
They announced it, but many months ago and no definitive date.

3D would be useless to me without being able to control the intensity of it in options.
My eyes would be fried after 10 minutes of TPA w/ 100% 3D effect.

Every game I play in 3D has this option even when asking to auto-turn on 3D when detecting my PlayStation 3D Display.

Pain and Minna No Golf 5 are the only games I've played in 3D on the PS3. If those games see that the PS3 is set to 3D then its in 3D with no way to turn it off except to turn off 3D on the PS3. There are no 3D adjustments in those games that I'm aware of. But my tv can adjust the 3D effect. Your tv doesn't have 3D adjustments?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Just last week I went over to a guy's house with a 3D tv and played Zen pinball. The improvement it made on the information overload of some of their tables, like PvZ, just wow. That being said, my eyes needed a break after 15 minutes of it. For me it's the active shutter glasses, they cause me strain. I don't have any issue with passive glasses in theaters, so when the time comes for a new TV, I for sure want 3D, and I will only go with passive.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Pain and Minna No Golf 5 are the only games I've played in 3D on the PS3. If those games see that the PS3 is set to 3D then its in 3D with no way to turn it off except to turn off 3D on the PS3. There are no 3D adjustments in those games that I'm aware of. But my tv can adjust the 3D effect. Your tv doesn't have 3D adjustments?

I haven't tried those 2 yet.

I am using the PlayStation 3D LED display
I don't really see any options to adjust the 3D other than choosing the style; Frame Packed, SBS, etc..).
Within the game options on games such as Zen Pinball 2, Super Stardust, MotorStorm, etc.. it has a slider which modifies how far away the background is from the foreground.
I'm not sure how a TV would be able to modify that, but I'm very curious if you have more info on what exactly it changes with the 3D.

I just wish I could handle the full 3D effect for long as it looks even more impressive, but my eyes just can't handle it for long.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I haven't tried those 2 yet.

I am using the PlayStation 3D LED display
I don't really see any options to adjust the 3D other than choosing the style; Frame Packed, SBS, etc..).
Within the game options on games such as Zen Pinball 2, Super Stardust, MotorStorm, etc.. it has a slider which modifies how far away the background is from the foreground.
I'm not sure how a TV would be able to modify that, but I'm very curious if you have more info on what exactly it changes with the 3D.

I just wish I could handle the full 3D effect for long as it looks even more impressive, but my eyes just can't handle it for long.

I don't know hos it does it but my tv has an adjustment to enhance or reduce the 3D depth. Since it can take 2D and change it to 3D that borders on prerendered 3D then it doesn't seem that hard to change the 3D effect. The tv actually makes TPA look good in 3D. The problem is that it will make artwork on the table surface look 3D also making it look like the ball is floating. It turns some tables like TotAN into a psychodelic mess!

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Ahh. I'm not that familiar with those types of displays that convert.

The PlayStation 3D Display was my first 3D display and I probably would have skipped it altogether, but it was an amazing price ($150, down from $499).
It had a bunch of reviews saying the display had died on people within 3-6 months, so I purchased a 4 year SquareTrade warranty for only $20.

I actually picked up 2 of these after seeing another sale on Black Friday.. Even cheaper too at $99.
For that price it was a steal and included the full game of MotorStorm: Apocalypse, HDMI cable, & 3D glasses.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
why not do a re-launch when it launches on ps4? TPA2 for ps3/ps4/vita

with DLC compatible with all three.

:cool:

Did you mean cross-buy on all three rather than compatible?

Even that seems unlikely since it has been stated that there will be a discount on the PS4 tables for those that bought them on PS3/Vita, but they will definitely not be free. Since there is going to be a PS4 discount for previously purchased tables, maybe there could be a discounted bundle offered on new table packs after that for those that wish to continue getting the tables for both the PS3 and PS4.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts