The PS3 "super patch"

omisnad

Feb 22, 2014
No worries! Yeah, I think I'll try deleting the problem tables individually first, then trying the core base pack, and failing that, the entire thing!

Not looking forward to how long that will all take, but what can you do?

Or I might just wait, as Espy says.
Depends if others are suffering the same fate as yours (anybody ???), if not then a complete deletion/reinstall should work. If others are, then SCEE has balls it up and i agree with Espy that all you can do is wait ... trouble is given SCEE incompetence it could be a long one. :(

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Depends if others are suffering the same fate as yours (anybody ???), if not then a complete deletion/reinstall should work. If others are, then SCEE has balls it up and i agree with Espy that all you can do is wait ... trouble is given SCEE incompetence it could be a long one. :(

SCEE have basically broken content that its customers have paid for, I don't think it will be too long before it's fixed. The only delay will be the time difference between Farsight and SCEE.

the ajp

Jun 17, 2012

Yep exactly the same problem with exactly the same tables ... can't be bothered (or have the time) to try and fix it ..

nstalkie

Jun 30, 2013
Looking forward to trying this patch when i get home from work!
Can't wait!

Wish I knew about it last night ... I was playing Zen Pinball 2 instead :rolleyes:

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
OMG, it's a resurrection!

Totally unexpected!!

359582.jpg

In that case i would first suggest try to redownload the basic version via your download history

I think this is the safest way to update too. Download the patch, then queue all packs via the PSN Store download history. Not updating via the game menu.

Well, I'll check tonight, hoping that all goes right.

By the way, strange that the patch is released on Thursday. Maybe the anger of customers came to Sony's ears...

Viz2014

Feb 15, 2014
Been watching this thread for a while waiting for the PS3 update. Now its here I find myself in the same boat as others. The following now do not work..

Attack from Mars / Genie
Medievil Madness / Bride
Twilight Zone

I have these as part of the season 1 pro bundle. Attack asks for payment, and the others download and install but keep asking to do so again and again.

Not happy. Still, at least I can play White Water without crashing the PS3!

bluenose79

Mar 1, 2013
I've just updated, it was also quicker just going into the store and downloading each pack from list. I must admit the 3D is truely amazing, it's feels like a real machine now. The flippers are so realistic. I have no lag or graphics issues what so ever!! This patch was deffo worth the wait, cheers FS

nstalkie

Jun 30, 2013
Deleted game, re-downloaded everything through the downloaded files option in the store, no problems with the update (I don't have season passes or pro versions).

I like the improved look of most tables. Some may be a bit TOO colorful, but that's maybe just my taste or it's because I'm so used to how the tables looked before.

What I was looking forward to the most were the bugfixes on Attack From Mars, so ofcourse my first big game had to be on that table. The improved jet bumbers are very noticable, I didn't get the dreaded STDM drain from the right orbit once, so I'm hoping it is gone for good! Did get a couple of STDM drains from the saucer, but that's normal ;) I also had a ball stuck, which never happened to me before, but it was kinda special (shot a ball into the lock right as the lock became lit again, I guess something on the table moves around then and trapped my ball, so it's not a bug probably. Calling attendant solved it.).
What's best about all this: previously I had a score of about 90.000.000.000, now: 150.000.000.000 :D Moved into the top 100 club on Attack From Mars, so I'm extra happy with the patch! Shouldn't have taken that toilet break right before the 3rd rule the universe ... drained ball right after the rule the universe finished.

Neil L

Aug 5, 2012
Okay, so here's my problem, after getting the patch on both PS3 and PS Vita, and re-downloading all of the necessary tables directly from the PSN, the following tables still prompt to be updated:

Pinball Arcade broken DLC:

PS3

Attack from Mars/Genie
Medieval Madness/Bride of Pin•Bot
The Champion Pub/Whirlwind
Class of 1812/Victory
Cue Ball Wizard/El Dorado: City of Gold
Dr. Dude/Firepower
Twilight Zone

PS Vita

I'm getting the same problem with the same tables, I'm happy with the ones that I can download though :)

I noticed a few quite obvious (and old) art issues that haven't been fixed:

Funhouse: The sides are still black: http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/635-Cabinet-Inside-Color and the 0's also missing on the clock: http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/1680-Funhouse-Clock-Art-Issue (also on the Vita)
Monster Bash: Creature lights hard to see if they're lit: http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/1726-Monster-Bash-Creature-Lights-Brightness-Issue )
Firepower: The front of the table is skewed: http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...t-skewed-and-out-of-place?p=144523#post144523 ) (also on the Vita)

Also the sound settings don't save, they return to the default settings when the game's restarted

Last edited:

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Okay, so here's my problem, after getting the patch on both PS3 and PS Vita, and re-downloading all of the necessary tables directly from the PSN, the following tables still prompt to be updated:

Pinball Arcade broken DLC:

PS3

Attack from Mars/Genie
The Champion Pub/Whirlwind
Class of 1812/Victory
Cue Ball Wizard/El Dorado: City of Gold
Dr. Dude/Firepower
Twilight Zone

PS Vita

This is far from being "all good", as omisnad puts it, and trust me, I have spent around six to seven hours downloading, re-downloading, deleting, trying again, and nothing is working.

I bought all tables as Pro, so am unable to download just the basic tables from anywhere, PSN or purchase history.

So I'm guessing the best choice is to either wait on the correct files for the listed tables to be uploaded, or do a complete delete and reinstall?

The patch initially completely broke the PS Vita version, it refused to boot up, and I had to do a hard shut down to get it to run.

And I'm not even going to start on the issues with the 3D, as I believe they're being documented elsewhere, and that Farsight are aware of them, but when it works, it works, but when it doesn't, or entire elements of the HUD are missing for one eye or the other, it's almost painful!

/rant over

Just checked the damage on my PS3. I am the same as you although Medieval Madness and Bride work for me. Also, before installing the update for Central Park, it played the TOTAN music in the menu (which is a sign of impending death on TPA as any WH2O player knows). Selecting the table caused a crash. Downloaded the pack from the store and it works now.

Oh, and AFM asks for payment, but when you press download it says you have already purchased it and lets you redownload it... not that it makes any difference...

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
Well i have to say what a job FS done with the patch, it is like playing a new game, and what about that 3D, my socks have been blown right off, fantastic stuff.

The best way to get your tables again is as already pointed out, via your download history, or from the Store, although via in-game worked to a extent, i had quite a few in-game links taking me to the Pro version and a few going to blank pages, so best get the tables outwith the game itself.

Now i am just trying to sort out why No good gofers table is crashing my PS3 dead when i go to play it.

But all in all a great update for PBA, i am over the moon.

eracet

Mar 20, 2013
Been watching this thread for a while waiting for the PS3 update. Now its here I find myself in the same boat as others. The following now do not work..

Attack from Mars / Genie
Medievil Madness / Bride
Twilight Zone

Firstly, thanks FarSight for finally getting this out there in the EU. I am having a similar problem after updating, with these tables not working for me either but, in addition, my TP#11 (Dr. Dude & Firepower) is not working.

All my tables were purchased as individual tables, upto and including TP#13 (White Water & Space Shuttle) plus my Kickstarter T2 table (#17).

I updated the main app first, then quit it. Went to the store and my download history - as others have recommended - and systematically re-downloaded all my purchased files, including Ball packs and Pro Table upgrades, one-by-one from the oldest to the newest. I then left the store, re-started my PS3 and then ran the game. I checked each table, from the initial tables onwards and the above ones are the ones that now don't work for me. I can only assume that the download files for these packs are currently corrupted/still incompatible with the new main game update. Please sort this with Sony. I'm particularly missing Attack from Mars and Medieval Madness.

Darkmiss

Jun 17, 2013
I can't find the audio option to turn off the menu music, did we not get the independent volume settings ?

Edit: Ahh found it hidden in the table settings not the main settings. ;)

Last edited:

cak

Feb 18, 2013
Might be a naive question, but if I currently own no DLC table and buy the season 1 bundle, I shouldn't have any of the download issues you're talking about, right?
I'm in EU of course.

eracet

Mar 20, 2013
OK. Weird. Tried re-downloading all the table packs that didn't work. Still nothing, except that significantly TP#1 Medieval Madness/Bride of Pinbot now works. However, (#08) Twilight Zone, Attack from Mars/Genie (#10) and #11 TPA Dr Dude/Firepower still don't work…*I know FS are doing their very best but what gives with these packs submitted to the PS (EU) store?

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I updated TPA the safest way possible:

- I downloaded the patch (391MB)
- I played the four core game tables.
- Then, I quit and went to the PS Store.
- In my Download History, I downloaded the first DLC table pack (MM/BoP) and only this one.
- I quit the PS Store and launched TPA.
- I played MM and BoP, no problem.
- I quit, went back to the PS Store, downloaded only the second DLC table pack (CV/FH).
- Launch TPA, played these two tables, quit...
- etc.

It was tedious but I encountered no problem... until Twilight Zone (pack 8). At the launch of TPA, I stayed stuck on "Install Trophies" screen. Big chill. I quit with the home button after more than 1 minute of waiting. After a TPA reboot, the "Install Trophies" screen stayed a lot longer as usual (about 30 seconds), and finally, the game started.

After a game on TZ, I couldn't download packs 9 and 10... because the EU PS Store is currently in maintenance!!! (since 23h00 GMT). Bad luck, just tonight...

EDIT: pack 9 and 10 downloaded. No problem at all (except the little thing above). All my packs are the standard ones (no pro versions).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

But now, let's talk of this megapatch...

First of all, there's no input lag anymore (1080i for me), neither on ToTAN, CFTBL, or TZ (the worst laggy tables pre-patch).

Except on MM, where the flippers seem a little bit less responsive. But maybe, it's me.

There's definitely some improvements on ball physics too, but there's still the famous "ball stutter" from time to time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the big part: the visual enhancements.

There's so much things to say, that each table deserves a precise feedback. Some are gorgeous, others... are not so gorgeous :p. I want to play more (and maybe get used to new lighting on some tables) before report my detailed impressions.

I noticed too that the light ambiance are darker on some tables (EATPM, TZ for example, you can see it on the table, of course, but also by the luminosity of the wooden background, and the reflection on the ball itself -very dark on TZ-). It's clever and well done, and fits particularly well to these tables themes. On NGG, it's not so good, but the table artwork is terrible anyway.:p

Globally, what I can say at this point, is I find there is a "reddish hue" on all tables. It's disturbing at first, for example on ToTAN (which was one of the four best looking tables pre-patch, the three others being BoP, Gorgar, and Big Shot).

Pre-patch, the table had a "blueish hue" with a nice light effect on the translucent ramp.

PS3-Tales.jpg

Post-patch, the table color balance is warmer, and the ramp looks grey.

totan_postpatch.jpg

At first, I was disappointed but:

- The playfield is more visible and all the artworks are detailed.
- The playfield lights are less shiny, but everything is crisper.

- And above all, like the majority of the updated tables, it looks far more photo-realistic.

I had the same apprehension for BoP, Gorgar, Big Shot. These tables looks good pre-patch, and at first, I was disappointed by their new looks.

For example, on BoP, the metallic effect has disappeared, the table is more luminous (and reddish) and the color less saturated. But, it's kind of more photo-realistic. And finally better.

So far, there's only one updated table that I don't like at all: MM. Yes, Medieval Madness.

The playfield is no more a mess, everything is less blurry... but the table is far too bright! And reddish as hell! (well, given the table theme...)

Look at the two ramp worms (especially the right one). It's orange and it's like the metal is on fusion!
(For comparison of how the table looked pre-patch > here )

Post-patch, all is so red, that you can barely see the yellow, orange and red lights on the playfield!

The green light on the castle is almost unnoticeable now.

Everything glows reddish/orange-ish as if the table is at the melting point!

Definitely, on this one, the new lighting is bad, kind of fail.:mad:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's my first impressions, I noticed a lot of things on others tables (apart the fact I like or dislike).

For example, on Monster Bash, the right piano artwork (lane change / hold for status) is blurry and undersaturated whereas the left artwork is colorful and crispy.

More next time, one table at a time.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
I'm still getting lag playing at 1080p the one thing that made me real upset with the patch is that Farsight should have made adjustable flipper settings something that Zen does well. They should have done that only with their own style I'm not going to say anymore on this because I stopped buying tables for PS3 after season one and switched to Android. Pinball isn't much fun when you press a flipper button and then wait for a response.

BBIAJ

Jul 31, 2012
@Tann

Great read, cheers!

Can I just ask though, are all of your tables the Pro versions, as mine are, as I'm assuming there's a difference with Pro versions not working whereas most, if not all, of the basic versions are.

Also, the store maintenance seems to have ended.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Can I just ask though, are all of your tables the Pro versions, as mine are, as I'm assuming there's a difference with Pro versions not working whereas most, if not all, of the basic versions are.

Yep, sorry, I forgot to precise that all my 10 S1 packs are the standard ones (no pro versions). So, I'm assuming too there is some problems with the pro versions.

Might be a naive question, but if I currently own no DLC table and buy the season 1 bundle, I shouldn't have any of the download issues you're talking about, right?
I'm in EU of course.

You're right, no problem if you download the S1 bundle from scratch (I assume that in this case, both standard and pro bundle work)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.