The Walking Dead

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I think the fact that almost the entire thing is a drab, caramel poop-brown.
Toys, art, playfield, cabinet, backglass... all just look blah. Why does it have barely any color? I would never buy it just for that reason alone.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
The only reason all machines look like John Borg's is because John Borg copies all machines. I don't think he has an original idea in his body.

Granted, some of his more recent tables have been a little better in that regard, but shots that "feel" good on any of his tables are few and far between when compared to the likes of Ritchie and Lawlor.

It just feels like his designs are a lot less natural and more trial-and-error than a lot of the other designers going around... even though he's been going at it for 20 years.

karl

May 10, 2012
The only reason all machines look like John Borg's is because John Borg copies all machines. I don't think he has an original idea in his body.

Granted, some of his more recent tables have been a little better in that regard, but shots that "feel" good on any of his tables are few and far between when compared to the likes of Ritchie and Lawlor.

It just feels like his designs are a lot less natural and more trial-and-error than a lot of the other designers going around... even though he's been going at it for 20 years.

I agree, to some degree. I think Tron is the exception. The Cora shot feels really nice when you nail it, and the almost impossible to master Gem shot feels original, also. There has probably been shots like them before but to me they feel fresh, somehow. Maybe it's just me, but those shots alone makes Tron a keeper

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
I agree, to some degree. I think Tron is the exception. The Cora shot feels really nice when you nail it, and the almost impossible to master Gem shot feels original, also. There has probably been shots like them before but to me they feel fresh, somehow. Maybe it's just me, but those shots alone makes Tron a keeper

Yeah Tron is great but the layout is almost exactly The same as Funhouse. Still would kill to have Tron in TPA.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I'll be (hopefully) playing one of these this weekend. Pinfest (in Newcastle, Australia) will be having what they think is the first one seen outside of the Stern factory, and will also be seen at a few other pinball tourneys around the place.

Despite my relative disdain for the table, I'm looking forward to seeing it and having a crack. But I have a feeling that given my apathy toward the show (I wouldn't mind seeing it, but I'm not clamoring to) coupled with the somewhat generic design will leave me a bit "meh" afterwards. At least Mustang had a new, unique design to it.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
It looks good. Regardless we won't see this game anywhere in the wild. I guess you really have to go to all the conventions or get in a league of sort to play this. I had a chance to play Start Trek last year. They just released Mustang didn't they?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Thanks for posting the vid Dave. The game play doesn't strike me as being all that special. With all the stuff on the playfield, I expected more action. I'd also like to see it in a darker environment to see the lighting. The Ramps look pretty steep but cool. I'm going to a pin show in a couple weeks. I hope to see one there.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Here is another vid. You can see the lighting a bit better and I think it looks good. The gameplay on the other hand looks pretty slow. They take the glass off around the 1 minute mark for a better look.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Stern announced the release parties today on Facebook. Looking forward to October 24th when they'll be at Waltham, MA at lanes and games.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Well, I played one game today at the White Rose Gameroom Show in York PA. It was popular - usually a line of 4-5 people waiting.

Yeah, it's bright. Lots of bright white lights, all over the place.

Gameplay-wise, it has a very nice flow to it. The main (CDC) ramp is a pretty easy make, at least on the setup today. Not that I had much of a clue what I was doing.

One annoyance, at one point the magnet beneath the Barn(?) caught the ball, some animation played, then the magnet let go of the ball STDM with no ball saver. Whut? Was there supposed to be some multi-ball starting then?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Well, I played one game today at the White Rose Gameroom Show in York PA. It was popular - usually a line of 4-5 people waiting.

Yeah, it's bright. Lots of bright white lights, all over the place.

Gameplay-wise, it has a very nice flow to it. The main (CDC) ramp is a pretty easy make, at least on the setup today. Not that I had much of a clue what I was doing.

One annoyance, at one point the magnet beneath the Barn(?) caught the ball, some animation played, then the magnet let go of the ball STDM with no ball saver. Whut? Was there supposed to be some multi-ball starting then?

Pretty much nailed my feelings as well. Very bright white general illumination everywhere. I think it need some darker areas and maybe some other colors (maybe some red). The DMD animations were nice. Couldn't really hear much of the sound which isn't a surprise at a pin show. And yes that magnet in front of the building threw the ball SDTM on me as well. But the shots did feel pretty good. The main ramp looks very steep, but a clean shot makes it with no problem. I'd like to play it some more in a few months when the code is done.

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
Stern announced the release parties today on Facebook. Looking forward to October 24th when they'll be at Waltham, MA at lanes and games.

Really?? Can you give me them address so I can put in in the GPS and show up. What do you think will happen at the event?

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Really?? Can you give me them address so I can put in in the GPS and show up. What do you think will happen at the event?

Lanes and Games is at:
195 Concord Turnpike, Cambridge, MA 02140
Good place to visit any time. They typically have a great selection of new Sterns (Mustang, Avengers, AC/DC, Metallica, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Tron) and a few older WMS (Addam's Family and Demolition Man right now, I believe). Might be a couple others as well. I think they own a few tables that they rotate out since in the past they've had Simpson's Pinball Party, Scared Stiff and Monster Bash. Additionally they have Candle Pin bowling (I think that's what it is called) and real bowling upstairs.
From the one I went to in the past they do have a Stern rep there overseeing the deal. The main event is a buy-in tournament (I think $5 plus games). You have a team of 4 and each person has to play to a certain score. You stop playing when you reach said score and you get points based on how many balls it takes (lower is better, like in golf). There is a trophy for the best team and for the new game they will have an award for the person that puts up the best score on it during the tournament (You don't stop after the target score is reached). The prize was a translite last time. They also have raffle tickets for sale and the winner gets their choice of currently produced standard table (pro version). There might be something else I'm forgetting but it's basically a fun tournament and not much else.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Got to play TWD at the Stern release party in Buffalo yesterday. Its definitely a good game, as the code matures it may become a very good game. The playfield layout is pretty good and the art/theme is well done. I think it will be a popular game for tournaments because it can be very punishing on the center bash shots and coming out of the pops, where there are a lot of oppotunities for drains. There were some issues with the bash targets not registering hits but those things can be tweaked.

Members online

Members online