These pro modes are such crap and offer little value.

John Penner

Feb 15, 2017
Bought a couple and don't see anything special.

I thought it would help my game in BSD hoping you could edit the table or something like switching from Lightning to Regular flippers but I guess that's asking too much.

Dear Pinball Arcade.... Since you've been in "I don't care mode" for the last few years why not just have a sale and put your seasons at half price since all you care about is a quick buck while there's still interest.

No editor, no physics adjustment, no flipper adjustment.......no way(speaking in Black Knight 2000 voice).

Anyone seen season 6?......Are you guys trying to be out of business?

Me neither.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I'm still wondering why this isn't a feature. I could understand posts being a little more difficult, but a slope adjustment is simple programming.

It could be done but you wouldn't like it. Because of Farsight's railroad physics. A slope adjustment would wreck the tuning and make targets and shots literally impossible to hit from the flipper "transfer points", without retuning them all over again. TPA needs a physics engine with proper emergent behavior for an adjustable slope to do what you would want.

codinghorror

Aug 13, 2013
But I don't mind giving Farsight the cash. I just wish they'd apply pro mode retroactively to seasons 1 and 2.

Still lobbying for a 4k (higher res textures) upgrade for seasons 1 and 2! Badly needed and I'll pay!! Reminder that PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio are theoretically (lol) 4k capable consoles as well.

Also [MENTION=3745]vikingerik[/MENTION] which pinball sims have physics engines with emergent behavior? I'm curious.

Last edited:

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Pro Pinball is the gold standard for pinball physics that I know of. It simulates all sorts of incredibly fine details, things like proper acceleration and deceleration curves for the flip and hold coils, the ball sinking into the flipper rubber, friction between colliding balls, roll and spin in all spatial dimensions. When you simulate all that, events like drop and live catches and post passes and cradle separations all emerge naturally, complete with the proper influence from an adjusted slope, rather than as predetermined hardcoded railroads like Farsight's. I know this from firsthand descriptions from Ade back during the development of Timeshock and BRUSA where I was a playtester.

I haven't really played any other recent pinball sims besides TPA so can't say for anything else. Visual Pinball as open source could support any engine that anyone has developed; I don't know what exists in that area.

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
It could be done but you wouldn't like it. Because of Farsight's railroad physics. A slope adjustment would wreck the tuning and make targets and shots literally impossible to hit from the flipper "transfer points", without retuning them all over again. TPA needs a physics engine with proper emergent behavior for an adjustable slope to do what you would want.

True. True.

Watching videos recently of people playing the newly released Stern tables and it's very obvious at times how poor the physics are compared to the real thing.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I've finally stopped buying Pro tables because operator settings have never saved in the PS4 version and at this point I can only guess that they're never going to. ; { All I wanted was to be able to turn off extra balls. = P

Rage

Apr 25, 2017
I really like the table exploration but probably should be standard. With Farsight the only game out there for consoles, I don't mind giving them a little extra money. It's like a dollar per table max with the season pass.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.