Thoughts on new iPad Pro 9.7

Garycope

Nov 5, 2013
I was so excited about the new iPad Air 3 or so called iPad Pro 9.7. I have been using a mini 2 Retina display since day one. I got it just for TPA. I was very disappointed in the new pro. The A9x chip is underclocked and it only has 2 gigs of ram instead of 4 like the bigger pro also has a lower resolution than the bigger pro but it comes with a pro price. Now I'm thinking about a reduced price Air 2.

JJHLH

Mar 7, 2016
I purchased the larger iPad Pro and it is phenomenal. It is a significantly more immersive experience due to its larger screen and 4 speakers. I love playing TPA on it. When TPA supports native resolution on the larger screen it is absolutely going to rock!

I also pre-ordered the 9.7 iPad Pro. I'm sure it will be great, but probably not quite as fun to play TPA on due to its smaller size. On the other hand it is much more portable and will be the device I carry with me when I travel. I'll leave the larger one to enjoy when I'm home. :)

I've really become addicted to playing these classic tables on TPA. I'm not a strong player but it really is a feast for the senses and gives me an incentive to learn and improve. I'm also looking forward to the new Stern app. Maybe Ghostbusters will be on it!

This is a great forum by the way. Thank you for the information.

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
What's the difference between an iPad Pro 9.7 and Air 2? :confused:

The latest iPad is about twice as fast as the iPad Air 2, with about three times the graphic power. There are four speakers to allow good sound no matter how it is held. It supports the pencil, just like the bigger iPad Pro. It actually has better cameras than the bigger iPad Pro. The Air 2 and Pro 9.7 are about the same weight.

There are a few other new features, but I'll keep it short. The new iPad is now the top-of-the-line iPad, in all respects except screen size, weight and price. The Pro 12.9 still "wins" in those three categories.

SqueakyClean

Oct 2, 2015
The 12.9 also has 2Gb more RAM and a higher clock speed. The 9.7 also has a True Color display which the 12.9 lacks.

But for TPS those specs don't matter one bit! Visuals or gameplay don't change. It look and plays the same on an iPad Pro (2016) and an iPad 2 (2011). The only features that can have a slight impact are the four speakers and the TC screen.

JJHLH

Mar 7, 2016
The iPad Pro 9.7 also has a 25% increase in color gamut with greater saturation, and has lower reflectivity on the screen (less glare). These have the potential to increase gaming enjoyment, but I'm not sure by how much.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
I am enjoying playing TPA on the big iPad pro - the larger screen size is a big perk for sure. It's more of a mobile "home" device good for the couch - not so much on the go, too big, heavy, and cumbersome.

BTW after the rescue911 update all TPA menu screens only display at 2/3 size - anyone else with the pro seeing this?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The iPad Pro 9.7 also has a 25% increase in color gamut with greater saturation, and has lower reflectivity on the screen (less glare). These have the potential to increase gaming enjoyment, but I'm not sure by how much.

Wish they'd update the 12.9 with those specs before I buy one.

daneman20

Dec 18, 2013
I upgraded to an iPad air 2 several months ago. My older one is an iPad 4. TPA ran great on the 4. As far as clarity, there is no real discernible difference. In fact, the iPad air 2 looks slightly jagged on the curve pieces on the tables. That is not really noticeable too much. I suppose the new pro iPad really can't be much nicer, unless the Apple pencil is a something that it's really wanted/needed.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Wish they'd update the 12.9 with those specs before I buy one.

It's too bad that Apple needs to "cripple" newer devices for some reason, like artificially minimizing the performance (dropping clock speed, etc.) specs of the new iPad Pro 9.7 to be inconsistent with the iPad Pro 12.9. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JJHLH

Mar 7, 2016
I am enjoying playing TPA on the big iPad pro - the larger screen size is a big perk for sure. It's more of a mobile "home" device good for the couch - not so much on the go, too big, heavy, and cumbersome.

BTW after the rescue911 update all TPA menu screens only display at 2/3 size - anyone else with the pro seeing this?

Yes, I noticed the same thing on my large iPad Pro.

haj

Sep 28, 2012
bigger one all the way! bigger the screen more accurate you can judge the timing, less covering table area by your fingers. also it'll let me not using scrolling cam (with smaller screen it's needed). my next iPad will be the bigger one for sure.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
For those of you guys who have the biggie, what are your thoughts on the Smart Keyboard? Is it worth it or nah? The way it folds up seems pretty slick. I definitely want the silicon skin for the grip factor, but it'd also be nice to have the keyboard to prop up on a lap pillow from time to time...even if I'm not typing, it'd still be nice to have a break and let the behemoth hold itself up on its own for awhile, heh.

Working on my taxes now and definitely thinking on pulling the trigger on one of these puppies soon...so any advice is welcome!

Last edited:

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
For those of you guys who have the biggie, what are your thoughts on the Smart Keyboard? Is it worth it or nah? The way it folds up seems pretty slick. I definitely want the silicon skin for the grip factor, but it'd also be nice to have the keyboard to prop up on a lap pillow from time to time...even if I'm not typing, it'd still be nice to have a break and let the behemoth hold itself up on its own for awhile, heh.

Working on my taxes now and definitely thinking on pulling the trigger on one of these puppies soon...so any advice is welcome!

Pros: awesome for typing when your really need it. Magnet systems makes it easy to attach and remove

Cons: still needs a solid surface like a lap board for the couch. When attached and used as a cover (flipped around to the back) makes the iPad too heavy to hold comfortably. So I leave it off unless I need to type - basically useless as a cover...

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
The 12.9 also has 2Gb more RAM and a higher clock speed. The 9.7 also has a True Color display which the 12.9 lacks.

But for TPS those specs don't matter one bit! Visuals or gameplay don't change. It look and plays the same on an iPad Pro (2016) and an iPad 2 (2011). The only features that can have a slight impact are the four speakers and the TC screen.

I upgraded to an air2 from an iPad 3. Most noticable difference was a slight speed increase, smoother graphics, and no slowdown during big multi-balls (ipad 3 started chugging if 4 balls got on the screen). So it's a worthy upgrade. In addition, the air2 is about half the weight of the iPad 3 with better speakers. IMHO, upgrading iPad's every 3 years is about right. Perhaps one day we'll get lighting effects and shadows for iPad. :cool:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Well, I couldn't contain myself any longer and splurged on the 12.9 Pro...and oh baby, this thing is freakin incredible! Sadly the two areas where it really shines, graphics and sound, TPA doesn't take advantage of either. The Zacc Pinball app on the other hand looks and sounds amazing. The audio is what really blows me away. All the table sound effects are nicely optimized for the stereo speakers, even down to the left and right flippers being set to each side of the speakers. It makes a HUGE difference. Hopefully Farsight can do something similar...but as for graphics, it looks really bad compared to Zacc too. Jagged and the lighting looks so lifeless. We desperately need the mobile updates they've hinted at.

Last edited:

haj

Sep 28, 2012
Sounds great, good for you! As my Air v1's screen's showing its age, I want the pro very much.

For the sound, I really hope Farsight will really update the sound. They're still using pretty unrealistic ball rolling sound even now...

Members online

Members online