THX-Phobia (fear of digital audio)

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
"So the Cars DVD came out yesterday, and Jon was delighted to watch it, until the dreaded THX logo came up. Sigh. Jon used to have no problem with the THX logo and creepy sound on video. But come his first trip to the movie theatre and, with his anxiety already high, they had one of the jokier versions where the little man adds a cow “moooo” toy to the logo, making it sound like an entire herd. Jon’s vision (much more limited back then) shut down, and the surround-sound lowing made him want to join the stampede. Since then he’s been able to tolerate it in the theatres, but he goes wide-eyed and avoids certain Pixar movies in his DVD collection because of the brief appearance of the logo at the beginning. (The earlier DVD’s also made it so you couldn’t chapter skip from it)."

I'm guessing none of you know what I'm talking about. In case, THX is a sound system that was devised by Lucasfilm, the creators of Star Wars. Not only are they famous for making sounds crisp and occasionally loud (Terminator 2 provides a great example), but they are famous for their logo. (Go ahead; turn this the loudest you can. http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rt6fXa60Y8A&desktop_uri=/watch?v=Rt6fXa60Y8A ) "THX: Making children cry since 1983!" should be their motto.

However, things seem to be getting better. The Amazing Life trailer that was released 5 years ago instead aims at an orchestra of plants, creating a very musical medley that ends up turning into the latter part of the THX note. And Cimarron focused a lot more on being epic then scary... Although there is an "original" cut of it that's as scary, in terms of somberness.

Talk about your horrific experiences with this logo of nightmares here.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Back when the TXH Star Wars Trilogy was released on VHS (before the special editions), the THX logo made me think my TV speakers were going to fall off.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I love it! Dolby Digital had a cool one with a helicopter and DTS had a loud one with a lazer disc that shatters and sounds like little chimes all over.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
I love it! Dolby Digital had a cool one with a helicopter and DTS had a loud one with a lazer disc that shatters and sounds like little chimes all over.

I love Dolby's idents, they're frikkin' awesome. And if you're referring to the "The Digital Experience" DTS snipe... it looks MUCH older than the 90s... it looks creepy as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaUtqYi1EO8

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
thats the 1! I remember being like DAM! thats loud then I was jaw dropped for first 30 minutes of saving private ryan.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
I know... Good thing I haven't seen it anywhere yet, I have a whole bunch of VHSs lurking in my house and none at all have it. Now imagine seeing something like that in an actual theatre...

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
DTS was an audio disc DIGITAL that synced up with the film and was only in theaters, I was a projectionist. Dolby Digital used a lazer and red the audio signal on the side of the frame of film then that went through a Dolby Digital decoder.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I should watch T2 tonight since I have it on Blu-Ray and finally have my 5.1 set up. I'm actually thinking of hooking up my 360 as well. I almost forgot how cool DD/DTS was, even with my 14 year old TOSLink JVC receiver.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.