Tournament winners?

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
So the TZ tourny just ended. It was the 1st one I've taken part in and I managed to finish in 11th place which makes me eligible for the prize. For past players how are the prizes given out? Are you emailed usually, or does farsight just apply credit through your farsight login?

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
In case anyone wants the thrill of reading the FS tournament email you'd get if you placed high enough:

================

Congratulations [your username] ([your email address]),

You finished [your rank] in the June 2013 Tournament! Excellent playing!

We have unlocked the Custom Pinballs for you through your FarSight Login. We are awarding custom balls for Twilight Zone and Star Trek to the top 500 finishers and the Eyeball to the top 200.

Once unlocked and selected, Custom Balls can be used on any table. To receive your entitlement refresh your login state by logging out and back in. To change your pinball to be one of the Custom Pinballs, select Extras from within the Options of any Table Menu.

Great job in the tournament! We’ll see you in the next one!

Thanks for supporting the Pinball Arcade!
FarSight Studios

===============

N

netizen

I played 2 games and placed 54th out of 277 or in the top 20% - but haven't received an email, yet.

The one you quoted doesn't jive with the tournament announce

Prizes:
All players who place in the top 20% of each tournament (mobile and PSN) will receive the Season One Pro Pack on the platform of their choice.

The person with the highest overall score will get a special award that we will announce during the tournament.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I played 2 games and placed 54th out of 277 or in the top 20% - but haven't received an email, yet.

The one you quoted doesn't jive with the tournament announce

Probably because it was for a different tournament.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
There are two Twilight Zone backer tournaments: one for mobiles, which finished yesterday; and one for PSN, which runs until August 6.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
was it only for mobiles? or was it a mixed tournament for all backers of TZ kickstarter?

I don't have consoles, so I wouldn't know if the June 2013 tourney was mobile only or not. It was *not* the TZ-only kickstarter tourney. It was the tourney open to anyone.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I think I probably had the game of my life on Twilight Zone. Which is pretty weak compared to so many of the awesome players out there. I ended up 27th so just got in the top 10%!

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Nicely done, Bowflex!

I managed 36th of 277, but that was with my hands cramping up terribly from holding an iPad in a deathgrip for hours. After that, the thought of shooting for a higher score just wasn't appealing, since there was no difference prize-wise between getting second and getting the last place above 20%. Too bad the PC version wasn't out yet, I would've liked to have seen if I could eclipse my 13.2B high score there. Even with improved touch nudging on iOS, my 360 scores are still about 5 times my mobile scores.

I still think extra balls should be turned off for tournament play to keep the length of games manageable. I think I was on my ninth ball in play by the time it ended: 3 regular balls, 1 for replay, 1 for 9 robots, 1 for 45 robots, 2 for door panels, and 1 from super skill shot.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Nicely done, Bowflex!

I managed 36th of 277, but that was with my hands cramping up terribly from holding an iPad in a deathgrip for hours. After that, the thought of shooting for a higher score just wasn't appealing, since there was no difference prize-wise between getting second and getting the last place above 20%. Too bad the PC version wasn't out yet, I would've liked to have seen if I could eclipse my 13.2B high score there. Even with improved touch nudging on iOS, my 360 scores are still about 5 times my mobile scores.

I still think extra balls should be turned off for tournament play to keep the length of games manageable. I think I was on my ninth ball in play by the time it ended: 3 regular balls, 1 for replay, 1 for 9 robots, 1 for 45 robots, 2 for door panels, and 1 from super skill shot.

I got the dead end extra ball for the first time as well. Every lost in the zone basically gives you up to two extra balls as well just for resetting the door panels. That becomes a bit out of hand.

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
Yea I had a ton of extra balls in my game. Prior to that I had only ever scored 2.3 billion in regular play. I figured I should try and better that in the tourney since there was a great prize at stake.

1st couple of days in there were only 46 players and my standard 2.4 was enough to get me 1st place for 2 days. Then the heavy hitters came through and knocked me further down the list. At that point I really wanted to be top 20 so I kept trying. My next game I hit 3.4 b (first time ever) and it got me 15th. Then more good players came along and i got bumped off the top 20. Went at it again and got really close to a 4b game, then my battery died. I nearly threw my nexus across the room (i had it plugged in apparently it just didn't want me to place) The next day I went back and said 4b or bust. That's when I hit 5.3b after over an hour of play. I had the corners of the nexus imprinted on my hand I was holding the damn thing so tight.

That got me the # 10 spot (greatest TPA moment for me ever). Then in the final hours I got bumped to 11, tried to get one last game in but I ran into that feeling sean mentioned about about it not really being significant at that point.
This tourney was really fun for me. Bumped my skills up on that table more in the 1 week of tourney play than months of regular play. The stakes really do make a difference. Can't wait for the T2 tournament.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I got the dead end extra ball for the first time as well. Every lost in the zone basically gives you up to two extra balls as well just for resetting the door panels. That becomes a bit out of hand.
Well, if TPA's Twilight Zone was more like the real one and getting to LITZ was actually a worthy challenge...(quickly puts the lid back on the can of worms) :D

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Yea I had a ton of extra balls in my game. Prior to that I had only ever scored 2.3 billion in regular play. I figured I should try and better that in the tourney since there was a great prize at stake.

1st couple of days in there were only 46 players and my standard 2.4 was enough to get me 1st place for 2 days. Then the heavy hitters came through and knocked me further down the list. At that point I really wanted to be top 20 so I kept trying. My next game I hit 3.4 b (first time ever) and it got me 15th. Then more good players came along and i got bumped off the top 20. Went at it again and got really close to a 4b game, then my battery died. I nearly threw my nexus across the room (i had it plugged in apparently it just didn't want me to place) The next day I went back and said 4b or bust. That's when I hit 5.3b after over an hour of play. I had the corners of the nexus imprinted on my hand I was holding the damn thing so tight.

That got me the # 10 spot (greatest TPA moment for me ever). Then in the final hours I got bumped to 11, tried to get one last game in but I ran into that feeling sean mentioned about about it not really being significant at that point.
This tourney was really fun for me. Bumped my skills up on that table more in the 1 week of tourney play than months of regular play. The stakes really do make a difference. Can't wait for the T2 tournament.

That is awesome. Just kept going back and getting Personal records. I was feeling excited during the tournament to go back and play it for the wizard goals on the normal table mode. They'd all be finished if it hadn't been for tournaments not registering them. Even the 4 way combo.

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
That is awesome. Just kept going back and getting Personal records. I was feeling excited during the tournament to go back and play it for the wizard goals on the normal table mode. They'd all be finished if it hadn't been for tournaments not registering them. Even the 4 way combo.

I felt that way about the scoring. I kinda wish my normal highscore table had my scores recorded, but now i know if i got More than an hour to kill i can pull it off. The tournaments really add a lot more value to the game than I thought they would, definitely gonna play in them more often.

SpiffyRob

May 5, 2012
The second game I played was the one that got me spot #46. I played a dozen more, but none were close.

It's definitely a question of fatigue more than ability with extra balls turned on. I didn't do much with my last three balls in my best game because I was getting bored and lost focus.

Jj Johnson

Jul 26, 2013

Sorry was one of thos heavy hitters that knocked you down but not bad I'm actually the the 1st place player on mobile.I can't see psn scores either anxious to see what comes out of it next Tuesday I would really like to take home that translite.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.