TPA does not start

Busol

Dec 19, 2013
Hi all,
For some time I cannot start TPA.
I use WindowsXP (DX9) and got cabinet with 3 diplays.
I use it with visual pilball, PinballFX2 and TPA.
For some time I cannot run TPA. It looks like it wants to start but then stops (with no info). I can run Configuration utility but even if i change settings it wont start even with default settings
one thing I have changed before that was screens setup. I mean that I might be changing the places of the screens in Windows configuration.
after that:
VP looks as usual
PinballFX - loses DMD configuration but it works ok
TPA - does not start.
Is there any log that I can search any info what causes the problem ?

Busol

Dec 19, 2013
Does it mean that I cannot play my TPA on DX9 now ?
While I have start menu askin if I want DX9 or DX11 when I choose DX11 I got "incorrect platform info" when choose DX9 nothing happenes.

Jun 29, 2013
TPA stopped working on Windows XP I think from the Doctor Who Update Last year.They said they were going to fix it but I don't think they have.I gave up waiting and got a Alienware Alpha for Christmas.

Last edited:

Busol

Dec 19, 2013
Dear Farsight.
Does it mean that there is no way to play in TPA now. I have spent some EURos on few seasons and now cannot use that.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, no longer receives security patches. It's not unreasonable for anyone to discontinue support, particularly when security vulnerabilities in the OS might be used to launch an attack or some kind of hack attempt on their servers.

XP has had its day. It's the same generation as the PS2. Think about that - how many new titles have been published for the PS2 recently?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Busol

Dec 19, 2013
Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, no longer receives security patches. It's not unreasonable for anyone to discontinue support, particularly when security vulnerabilities in the OS might be used to launch an attack or some kind of hack attempt on their servers.
XP has had its day. It's the same generation as the PS2. Think about that - how many new titles have been published for the PS2 recently?
Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Understand that. But when you do check reqirements now there is clear info that it supports XP with DX9. So having that you should be able to buy and play. I am not.
Other thing is that I am not sure if the problem is XP related.
SO it would be nice to change the requirements or check the problem.

Tripredacus

Sep 9, 2012
It doesn't matter the age of Windows XP. A company should not sell a product for an OS, then release an update that makes the product unusable. One could argue this shouldn't be done at all, but it is a common practice in free programs such as web browsers.

Steam itself does not do a good job of checking compatibility either, even for newer OS. For example, you can buy and install a game that requires 64bit OS on a 32bit OS. But that is for new purchases.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Dear Farsight.
Is there any info where the problem can be fixed ?

After the app crashes, does it send out a crash log.txt file to your Pinball Arcade Folder? It should be located in: c:\users\name\my games\pinball arcade.

If it does, can you send that to me at Rob@FarSightStudios.com and we can try and evaluate what might be causing the problem.

Busol

Dec 19, 2013
After the app crashes, does it send out a crash log.txt file to your Pinball Arcade Folder? It should be located in: c:\users\name\my games\pinball arcade.

If it does, can you send that to me at Rob@FarSightStudios.com and we can try and evaluate what might be causing the problem.

No such file
Just this:
2017-01-30 20:18 260 dx11_settings.dat
2002-01-01 00:12 617˙288 HighScores
2017-01-30 20:18 44 settings.dat
2002-01-01 00:12 6 Settings.ini
2002-01-01 00:10 4 TableSorting.dat

I dont know if it is important but i found about week ago that cmos battery was exhausted and i have replaced it. Mabye during starts something at FS side recorded that I start TPA with date 2002 :)

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
I am seeing a similar issue when launching the DX11 version on PC. Norton is finding a trojan virus when I try and launch from Steam and it's removing the .exe from my machine.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013

John Penner

Feb 15, 2017
I am seeing a similar issue when launching the DX11 version on PC. Norton is finding a trojan virus when I try and launch from Steam and it's removing the .exe from my machine.

Norton Anti-Virus has been the cause of many game problems in the past. If you have Win 10, use the included Windows Defender. If not, consider AVG Free Anti-Virus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.