TPA on the PS4 - First Impressions

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Okay another problem: table adjustments made when opening the Coin Door in Pro Mode reset each time you come back to the table, so if you're trying to turn EBs off on a table, for instance, you have to open the coin door, go into the ROM's adjustment mode and turn off the EB setting every single time you come back to the table from the table select menu. In the PS3 version, on the other hand, it saved my Scared Stiff "no extra balls" settings. So getting the Pro Bundle was more or less pointless because I'm not going to redo settings every single time. I wonder if it's supposed to be this way or not, guess I'll ask on their FB page.

EDIT: Have posted the question on their FB here.

EDIT 2: They've said they'll check and get back to me.

EDIT 3: They've said it is definitely a bug, and they've marked it down as something to fix.

Last edited:

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Uh there is also no nudge in Big Shot. : o

EDIT: Can't nudge in Genie and Gorgar, either. Looks like all the older tables? Oh you can nudge in Black Knight and Taxi, though. But this does kinda make BH, BS, Genie and Gorgar (maybe more, haven't tried all tables yet) sorta unplayable. : P

On Facebook FarSight just said that this probably means it's a problem specific to their non-emulated tables. They're also going to have a patch ("already on the way") that "may" address this and some other stuff (other things mentioned in that thread by the OP were audio problems (I don't have those), lack of trigger configurability, and lack of rumble).

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I checked the disc version and was able to nudge on black hole and Gorgar. Then I tried the digital version and was able to nudge on black hole and Gorgar. I don't understand how it could be that I'm not having that problem. Not that I'm complaining but I don't understand.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I checked the disc version and was able to nudge on black hole and Gorgar. Then I tried the digital version and was able to nudge on black hole and Gorgar. I don't understand how it could be that I'm not having that problem. Not that I'm complaining but I don't understand.

Hey yeah I restarted and now I can nudge on those tables. HMM. Wonder if this was one of the "first time after install" glitches like I saw once or twice on the PS3.

frankiedf

Feb 6, 2013
I was most interested in the lighting options for this release, which were awesome when I tried them at a demo kiosk at a sony store.

I'm pretty disappointed that the full release changed those, switching instead to a set of three presets. It was a sliding scale on the demo, and it was much better.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
The room brightness setting doesn't save. : P

EDIT: FarSight says "that is a bug and will be fixed in a patch."

Last edited:

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012
Attack from Mars - Solid.
Big Shot - seems alright for what it is except I can't nudge.
Black Hole - Always hated this table. I seem to like it even less now. The display for the lower level seems illegible. Ball got stuck on bumper and kept ringing up 10 points at a time. Also not able to nudge.
Black Night - brutal and annoying. Also not able to nudge.
Bride of Pin-Bot - having problems. Should have gotten all the standard goals in the first game, but somehow it never picked up the jets goal or activating optical. Those worked on the next game. So far, twice while sending up the 2nd ball for optical, it shoots past the head and down the right side not getting locked in. (edit, I think that's actually how it's supposed to work) Can't remember from the PS3 version, but the ball seems slow to come down for lock as well. Also having problems with extra ball not settling correctly to use the plunger. Pull back, thwang, and nothing.

edit:

In case you can't tell, I'm going alphabetically. Everything feels better, but the sound does seem lacking now. I don't think anything is coming through my subwoofer and I thought it did before. The bride's heartbeat usually gives a good thump-thump, but it's lacking punch now.

Last edited:

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012

If you quit TPA and start it again, nudge might work--did for me. Not sure what caused it to stop working.

Just finished first game of Bride, seemed to play and sound just fine, got to the Billionaire's Club for the first time in ages, in fact.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Attack from Mars - Solid.
Black Hole - Always hated this table. I seem to like it even less now. The display for the lower level seems illegible. Ball got stuck on bumper and kept ringing up 10 points at a time. Also not able to nudge.
Black Night - brutal and annoying. Also not able to nudge.
Bride of Pin-Bot - having problems. Should have gotten all the standard goals in the first game, but somehow it never picked up the jets goal or activating optical. Those worked on the next game. So far, twice while sending up the 2nd ball for optical, it shoots past the head and down the right side not getting locked in. Can't remember from the PS3 version, but the ball seems slow to come down for lock as well. Also having problems with extra ball not settling correctly to use the plunger. Pull back, thwang, and nothing.

In case you can't tell, I'm going alphabetically. Everything feels better, but the sound does seem lacking now. I don't think anything is coming through my subwoofer and I thought it did before. The bride's heartbeat usually gives a good thump-thump, but it's lacking punch now.

Smbhax said he restarted and the nudging issues resolved. I can nudge on every table so it would seem that its not a universal problem.

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012
It's odd, once I got to Bride nudge started working again. It's like it didn't want to work on old tables.

Azuri

Dec 16, 2013
Looks like my cat approves of Mars Attacks...... Sigh

7bf05178bf7f26ee134135eaef995798_zpsaffadd5a.jpg

BigWeather

Jul 1, 2013
Awwww, cute kitty!

Loving it, but I am finding the audio to be a step back or something -- is it mono perhaps? Definitely lacking the punch of the PS3 tables. Isn't surround, that seems for sure.

joeblow

Feb 26, 2013
The AFM orbit thing *should* be corrected, along with all the other "megapatch" fixes. We'll see though!!

Woohoo! I can confirm that the glitch is absent in the PS4 version of Attack from Mars. With that out of the way, I was able to Save the Universe for the first time ever after only a few attempts, scoring 41+ billion. Three cheers for next-gen!!! :cool:

(The game looks gorgeous BTW).

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Awwww, cute kitty!

Loving it, but I am finding the audio to be a step back or something -- is it mono perhaps? Definitely lacking the punch of the PS3 tables. Isn't surround, that seems for sure.

It has always been mono because pinball machines are mono but there is something wrong with the audio. It sounds kind of like it's been compressed more than in the PS3 version. I did an A/B test between the PS3 and PS4 versions using the same tables to compare and the PS4 version is quite obviously worse. I didn't notice how bad it was until I switched back and forth between the two.

BigWeather

Jul 1, 2013
It has always been mono because pinball machines are mono but there is something wrong with the audio. It sounds kind of like it's been compressed more than in the PS3 version. I did an A/B test between the PS3 and PS4 versions using the same tables to compare and the PS4 version is quite obviously worse. I didn't notice how bad it was until I switched back and forth between the two.

Ah, thanks for the info -- and confirming that it isn't just me, the audio has issues on the PS4. Hopefully FS will look into this soon, otherwise I'm very, very pleased with TPA on PS4.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012

Ah I see. It doesn't sound "scratchy" to me, as it was being described in the other thread, but I guess maybe it does sound a little more muffled than the PS3 version did (listening to the voice samples on CV, for instance). I don't tend to play at very high volume. One of you sonically attuned guys should ask them about the sound difference on FB.

On the other hand, CV is *way* less floaty than the PS3 version--it's actually fun to play now : D

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts