TPA Topics #2: How Much Can/Should FarSight Make TPA Into A Franchise?

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
Most tables are going to private collectors, not public locations. Therefore, most pinball players never get the chance to play these new Sterns. That is why the common logic that us trying to be pushed is that if the average person got to play these digitally, they might be inspired to buy a new Stern after having a chance to fall in love with it.

Quoted for truth.

Timelord ...

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Quoted for truth.

Timelord ...

There was a sound byte from Gary Stern, that suggested (and I'm paraphrasing from memory) that STERN tables would be released digitally in the future.

I can't quite remember the audio interview (I think it was the BBC one recently shared?) that had him saying that.

Gary does tend to shoot his mouth off a little bit, so apply the same credence to the sound byte as you would with any other non-confirmed news.

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
Yeah, I was quoting the logic of SYT's statement.

As far as Gary's statement, well, we can only hope. Believe me, I'm not holding my breath on that one. Gary is just like his father, a great showman and salesman rolled in one. A good thing in my book.

Timelord ...

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Yeah, I was quoting the logic of SYT's statement.

As far as Gary's statement, well, we can only hope. Believe me, I'm not holding my breath on that one. Gary is just like his father, a great showman and salesman rolled in one. A good thing in my book.

Timelord ...

Yeah, sorry about that. Me selecting your post to quote made it look like I was questioning your statement.

Your statement really just meant "I agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts, shutyertrap".

And so do I.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Interesting thought though. Mustang is probably the only Stern in recent years that Farsight might be able to afford without a Kickstarter. They've done Harley Davidson - a motorbike manufacturer, a car manufacturer shouldn't be too difficult.

Aw hold on, the soundtrack's all licensed music, isn't it?

P.S. If you come to Glasgow you'll see that modern Sterns aren't just for home use. We have a great pinball operator that works here, he has 11 machines I can think of in the city centre alone. The majority are modern Sterns!

Last edited:

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
Yeah I think I heard that something like 70% of Stern's sales in the U.S. are home-use collectors, not operators.

And someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Farsight may actually have the license to every Stern table. The problems cited in the past, though, are:

A) They can't afford the licenses for the IPs that all modern Stern tables are based on (X-Men, Metallica, Tron, etc.)
B) SAM system emulation would not be possible on all supported platforms/devices.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts