Transfering saves from computer to computer

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
First off, I know that the directory housing game saves (and goals) is C:username/my games/pinball arcade.

After reformatting my computer, I copied my saves to a thumbdrive and placed my save files after reinstalling TPA.
Previously, I had done this successfully backing up my files on my wife's laptop. This time however, none of the save data showed up in my new installation. (Thank goodness the laptop still has save info intact!)

Has the directory changed, or is there a new procedure for transferring save files?

Mithrellas

Dec 29, 2012
First off, I know that the directory housing game saves (and goals) is C:username/my games/pinball arcade.

After reformatting my computer, I copied my saves to a thumbdrive and placed my save files after reinstalling TPA.
Previously, I had done this successfully backing up my files on my wife's laptop. This time however, none of the save data showed up in my new installation. (Thank goodness the laptop still has save info intact!)

Has the directory changed, or is there a new procedure for transferring save files?

Did you check about the cloud sync stuff on the Steam side ? Is it turned off or on in your preferences for Pinball Arcade ?

N

netizen

On a new install I found the save location won't show up until there's data to write. It's weird. Try and copy over the data to the same location and see what happens.

Mithrellas

Dec 29, 2012
Cloud sync doesn't save local scores, just achievements.

That's good to know since I already opened a thread here about so many problems with lost saves and my only answer from the staff here was "wait for the cloud sync, it will back up your saves!".

I was like the first one here to experience problems with these saves stuff, according to Mike (check the thread entitled "High scores and objectives vanished").

It is sad that since the beginning of January, we have still no clue about properly saving our scores and goals :'(

Local backups that were recommended to me are not working after the game has been reinstalled.

Last edited:

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013
Woah, wait. Can we get some more confirmation about cloud sync only containing achievement data? I also had extensive issues with cloud saves, but I chalked it up to issues moving the save between a macbook and my win7 pc.

My understanding was that achievements were all stored server side on Steam, i.e. not tied to data read from a save file. For example, I couldn't copy over a 100% achievement save from a game somebody else earned and have everything instantly unlock on my profile.

What I consistently lost, every single time TPA was updated, was my goals on individual tables. Those would then not jive with my unlocked achievements. I would have an achievement for unlocking all of the standard goals on a table, but if I loaded up that table it would show as none of them having been completed.

N

netizen

I closed steam. Moved my local saves. Started steam, watched it sync and started TPA. No local scores were pushed to my PC.

All the cloud us keeping track of is achievements, leaderboard scores and friends info probably. Unless someone can show Steam pushing backed up local scores/goals then cloud save isn't involved in that info.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Thank you for responding. I have tried logging out of steam, moving my previous saves from thumb drive to the pinball arcade folder in "my games", logged back in, booted up TPA-and none of my achievements showed.

It's puzzling why this can't be done, as I have done it before saving my progress (local scores and goals) to the laptop. And I'm well aware that achievements are saved with your profile. Guess I'll be sticking to the laptop, and hope nothing happens to it, as I'd hate to waste more than 130 hrs of progress!

Again, thanks to all who've chimed in so far.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts