"Ultimate" Table Packs

N

netizen

Remember the OP's rules, no 2 DMD packs.

It's not really my rule, I was just following the trend that FS has of mixing table eras.

The Stargate and Black Pyramid combo would be stellar </pun>

How about:
Circus (1980) + Cyclone (it's the clowns)
Hurricane + Comet (obvious I know)
Blackwater 100+ Banzai Run (motor sports)
Harlem Globetrotters (1978) + NBA Fast Break
Super Soccer (1975) + World Cup Soccer (1994)

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
Superballs, notice Sharkey's Shootout's playfield layout. Compare it to EBD.

image-15.jpg

image-3.jpg
+1

N

netizen

Transporter: The Rescue + TX Sector

Aliens and transporters make for a great theme of a pack.

vpalmer

Aug 18, 2013
i think 2 tables of different themes in one pack is little more profitable thing - that way some of us have much more chances to see table of their fav theme in a pack - may be like sport,pool,cards/space,future,fantasy,horror

N

netizen

Al-Gar (williams 1980, 334 units produced)+ Af-Tor (Wico 1984, this is the only machine produced by Wico. Unknown #of units produced)

Both are widebodies of obscurity.
Notice there's 2 clickies in Aftor?

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Have some more:

High Speed / NASCAR
RollerCoaster Tycoon / Cyclone
TX Sector / Judge Dredd (John T. pins with awesome soundtracks)
Eight Ball Deluxe / JackBot
Road Show / Truckstop?
Diner / Starship Troopers (Taxi sequel and THE LICENSE NOBODY ASKED FOR)

CC13

Sep 1, 2012
Ooh, I love these sorts of topics! Here are a few table packs I think would make for great additions to TPA:

- Gamer's Delight (Defender & Street Fighter II): Video game and pinball have a tumultuous history, but with most solid-state manufacturers having some form of video game pedigree, crossovers between the two were almost inevitable. Though the practice is often controversial, Defender & Street Fighter II represent two of the better of this lot. Defender is more or less a straight pinball implementation of the rules of the eponymous 1980 arcade hit, while Street Fighter II has only been denied the respect it deserves for being a Gottlieb from 1993, as it has some well-implemented modes, a fantastic selection of shots and one of the most underrated wizard modes of all time in the form of the Champion Challenge, which tasks you with defeating all 12 fighters on one ball. We would have to do something about that piss-poor excuse for a translite, though...

- Hip To Be Square (Breakshot & Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Melons): Pinheads are often made to feel as though they live in the past, with video games marching onwards to heights of sophistication far beyond imagining during the rise of solid-state pinball in the mid-'70s, but these two machines take that feeling to a whole new level. Both take inspiration from the EM era of pinball, with Breakshot souping up a '70s EM design with '90s speed & tech, while Whoa Nellie! is an actual EM designed by Whiz Bang Pinball and should be getting a run next year, courtesy of Stern. This also serves as something of an "underappreciated designers" pack, as Breakshot was designed by Greg Kmiec, while Whoa Nellie! is the work of Dennis Nordman. Overall, this would make for a fun, simple pack, as well as the perfect antidote to that 3-hour game of Scared Stiff you just completed.

- Turning The Page (Checkpoint & Operation: Thunder): This pack shows pinball right at the dawn of the DMD era. It shows a contrast of styles between Data East Pinball, whose willingness to adapt to new technology (as represented by Checkpoint, the first DMD pin) has let them survive to the modern day as Stern Pinball, and Premier Technology, whose insistence on sticking to what they knew (as demonstrated by the fact that Operation: Thunder, the last A/N by a major manufacturer, came out about a year after Checkpoint) would lead to their final downfall a few years later (although losing John Trudeau to Williams and having such short development cycles on their tables didn't help the cause, either). This may not be the strongest deck gameplay-wise, as Checkpoint's simplistic ruleset and Operation: Thunder's somewhat rigid mission structure may prove a turnoff for some, but it still serves as a good reflection of the early DMD era.

- Who Says Crime Doesn't Pay? (High Speed & Safe Cracker): If you want to see the contrasts in two pinball designers' styles, give them similar broad themes to work with. The pairing of High Speed & Safe Cracker does this perfectly, with Steve Ritchie's flow-based style working perfectly with the theme of a blazing fast car chase, while Pat Lawlor's more stop-and-go philosophy fits the careful motions of a well-orchestrated heist like a glove. Both tables also brought major innovations to pinball; High Speed is usually considered the first pin to have any real narrative, while Safe Cracker's combination of timed gameplay and a backglass-mounted board game makes for a very different pinball experience. This would be a great pack, but I'm not sure that FS could swing the price of a Safe Cracker in decent condition...

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
Size Matters Pack: Jurassic Park / 4MBC (would like that couple)

If no EMs are wanted then Godzilla instead 4MBC

CC13

Sep 1, 2012
Should be cheaper than the CC they picked up. LOVE the idea for this pack.

Ah, good point, SpiffyBob! I just got a bit frightened by the $8800 listing for a Safe Cracker I saw on Mister Pinball and forgot that CCs routinely go for a good $3-4K more than that...

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts