Android - Bug Very Intermittent Input lag?

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Some are sensitive to lag, others less so, I'm normally very sensitive to it, so at first thought I was being paranoid, but I definitely think there is an intermittent input ignore or lag in the Android version.

It's so intermittent that input feels normal and crisp every flip, but approximately once every 4 minutes or roughly 400 flips I feel one rogue input that either lags, completely ignores an input, or flipper stays up slightly after release. This happens for both left and right flippers.

I've really felt it playing High Speed, trying to get 250k ramp goal where you do a lot of aimed tip of flipper shots, because obviously if tip of flipper is late, it centre drains.

Thought at first I'd finally worn out the shoulder buttons on my very used Dualshock, but no. Having switched to my practically unused Moga, same thing. I've also seen the same behaviour using touch inputs on my other device.

Anyone else getting this?

Because I'm getting it on 2 separate devices, using several controllers and touch inputs, I'm guessing it's got to be within the TPA app. Can't explain it any other way.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Can't say I've noticed any lag other than some input lag on some tables during a chaotic multiball, and not even sure if it's my brain or the game :)
What do you mean by intermittent? As I understand it the word means not regularly reoccurring, but your description would be more of a regularly reoccurring phenomenon. Not trying to pick on words just to be clear what is being referred to. If it is regularly reoccuring every 4 minutes, as you partly say, it could have something to do with some program in your devices that are automatically sending/recieving information. Some programs are the same on multiple devices. Could be something with your wifi, like reconnection cycles. Could be something with your neighbours wifi, there are limited wifi bandwidths that can be used and sometimes they cancel each other out, causing microinterruptions or more noticable problems.
You did try turning data transfers off?

Could be something else or indeed something inside TPA, maybe someone else noticed something or knows more about this.

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Can't say I've noticed any lag other than some input lag on some tables during a chaotic multiball, and not even sure if it's my brain or the game :)
What do you mean by intermittent? As I understand it the word means not regularly reoccurring, but your description would be more of a regularly reoccurring phenomenon. Not trying to pick on words just to be clear what is being referred to. If it is regularly reoccuring every 4 minutes, as you partly say, it could have something to do with some program in your devices that is automatically sending/recieving information. Some programs are the same on multiple devices. Could be something with your wifi. Could be something with your neighbours wifi, there are limited wifi bandwidths that can be used and sometimes they cancel each other out, causing microinterruptions or more noticable problems.
You did try turning data transfers off?
That's what I can add to the query, maybe someone can ad

When I say 'Intermittent' like you state, I meant not regular or occurring predictability.
The input lag or ignore probably wouldn't be noticed during normal play, and for about 399 flips out of 400 isn't there at all and feels perfect. But doing a lot of flipper extreme tip aimed shots, you occasionally get one rogue input where it drains, and yet you think, I pressed that on time yet the flipper moved late or occasionally doesn't move at all.

The stated occurrences are just a rough estimate, it really is random and very infrequent.
Probably is a system background task or service. I'll try Airplane mode see if that works.
Just feels annoying now I know it's there, almost bought a new controller yesterday because of it.

Just wondered if this was felt by anyone else, or if the TPA app input priorities had been tweaked or something.
It's been the past 5 or 6 weeks I've been noticing this roughly, probably since we switched to Hi-lod.

N

netizen

try booting into safe made to debug if it's any background processes, but put the TPA laucher on the task bar first or you'll not be able to launch it :eek:

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
I'd turn off the lods then if this is a problem with your device. We process them as we get them, nothing else we can do.

When I say 'Intermittent' like you state, I meant not regular or occurring predictability.
The input lag or ignore probably wouldn't be noticed during normal play, and for about 399 flips out of 400 isn't there at all and feels perfect. But doing a lot of flipper extreme tip aimed shots, you occasionally get one rogue input where it drains, and yet you think, I pressed that on time yet the flipper moved late or occasionally doesn't move at all.

The stated occurrences are just a rough estimate, it really is random and very infrequent.
Probably is a system background task or service. I'll try Airplane mode see if that works.
Just feels annoying now I know it's there, almost bought a new controller yesterday because of it.

Just wondered if this was felt by anyone else, or if the TPA app input priorities had been tweaked or something.
It's been the past 5 or 6 weeks I've been noticing this roughly, probably since we switched to Hi-lod.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I'd turn off the lods then if this is a problem with your device. We process them as we get them, nothing else we can do.

Tried that early on - Hilod on or off doesn't make a difference to performance with TPA on either of my devices.

Don't worry - it's only obvious playing tip of flipper shots and it's few and far between anyway. Must be a system background check glitching the input.

Thanks anyway.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
very strange yeah, that thread has a high priority too. Wonder if the event was just lost in the ether

1moreastronaut

Aug 22, 2013
I've seen this a couple times myself but wrote it off as my device being a bit of a jerk or my thumb being out of the sweet spot.

Seems to only happen with my left flippers, and exclusively on my N7 2013 (though I rarely play on my other devices).

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I've seen this a couple times myself but wrote it off as my device being a bit of a jerk or my thumb being out of the sweet spot.

Seems to only happen with my left flippers, and exclusively on my N7 2013 (though I rarely play on my other devices).

Yeah - it's so infrequent I'd doubted my controller, myself, until I played about an hour just doing tip of flipper shots with various control methods.
It does seem to be mostly left flipper but I have seen it on the right.
Other pinball games on the same device don't exhibit the same behaviour.

Mad07

Feb 13, 2013
Does you've this behavior during normal play (this means only 1ball in game) or only during Multiball or in both cases?
During Multiball I've see the behavior, that the flipper does not react of a touch. I can press the finger complete through the harxware:no reaction from the digitizer) It's looks like, that a process for the GPU does not let time for the touchscreen. If I use an external controller via sixaxis, there is this misbehavior not seen.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Does you've this behavior during normal play (this means only 1ball in game) or only during Multiball or in both cases?
During Multiball I've see the behavior, that the flipper does not react of a touch. I can press the finger complete through the harxware:no reaction from the digitizer) It's looks like, that a process for the GPU does not let time for the touchscreen. If I use an external controller via sixaxis, there is this misbehavior not seen.

It occurs during single ball play for me.
I've just tried changing our home wifi channel (it had jumped onto auto - and 6 neighbours were also sharing the same) now on ch 2.
I've only had a 1/2 hour since doing it, but it hasn't had a bad input since.
I'll keep an eye on this over the next week.

Edit - naw, still doing it.
Might have to defect back to Xbox360.

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
It occurs during single ball play for me.
I've just tried changing our home wifi channel (it had jumped onto auto - and 6 neighbours were also sharing the same) now on ch 2.
I've only had a 1/2 hour since doing it, but it hasn't had a bad input since.
I'll keep an eye on this over the next week.

Edit - naw, still doing it.
Might have to defect back to Xbox360.
Still doing it?

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Still doing it?

Not sure.
I haven't played TPA for a while in truth (probably 2 months). Other things have held my interest really, and when I have had the itch, i've been playing BK on VP.

I fired TPA up the other day when you reported your BT problem with 4.4.3 but only tried for a few minutes.

Funny how people are sensitive to some stimuli and not others.
Input Lag - I really feel more sensitively than most other people.
Sound lag - I don't notice.

The intermittent lag put me off playing during the HS pack, and the past 2 packs haven't been my thing, but I'm sure I'll return if something more interesting appears. (never played the next stern IRL - or Diner)

Can't try till the weekend, but I will try it again and report back here after.
:)

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Still doing it?

Managed to get some time tonight.
After re-testing, no lag during a 20 min test on N7-2012 KK 4.4.4 :) but still present on SGS4 GT-I9505 KK 4.4.2. (but I don't really game on the phone anyway).

Just updated the N7 OS to 4.4.4 tonight and re-rooted. I'm guessing the issue might be with 4.4.2 and TPA, or 4.4.2 and another app installed.

Either way - it feels a lot more responsive than it did, and no missed tip of flipper shots periodically. :)

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Managed to get some time tonight.
After re-testing, no lag during a 20 min test on N7-2012 KK 4.4.4 :) but still present on SGS4 GT-I9505 KK 4.4.2. (but I don't really game on the phone anyway).

Just updated the N7 OS to 4.4.4 tonight and re-rooted. I'm guessing the issue might be with 4.4.2 and TPA, or 4.4.2 and another app installed and 4.4.2.

Either way - it feels a lot more responsive than it did, and no missed tip of flipper shots periodically. :)
Good to hear!

I'll leave the thread open for another week and if no one else chimes in with an issue, I'll lock it down.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts