What about Big Bang Bar?

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Isn't DLC rated seperately from the main release though? If that's the case then that DLC pack could just be rated T (I don't think anything in BBB would get it a mature rating.)

I also didn't know that they changed the dialogue in MM. That really bums me out and makes me not want to play the table at all.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
BBB is an awesome looking table. I love Chris' pinball vids also. FarSight should definatley look into attaining licences to produce Capcom, Data East, and Sega tables.

FarSight already has the rights to recreate Data East and Sega tables as they both fall under the Stern license.

PinHead4Life

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah, that's good news for when FS goes license hunting. Because (and someone correct me if I am wrong) all Sega tables were designed around a licensed theme. And the same is true for almost every Data East table as well. I'm still holding out hope for a Guns N Roses appearance on TPA!

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Tales from the Crypt should be one of the first Data East tables we will see on The Pinball Arcade.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I wouldn't mind Star Wars from Data East & X-Files and Twister from Sega. I love the themes & that creepy X-Files music seems like it was created for pinball. But I assume licensing for any of the three would be quite a hurdle.

Last edited:

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
And quite frankly, I wouldn't be the least bit bothered if that's the only Data East table I see on The Pinball Arcade.

But, but, what about Star Wars? Maybe it's just nostalgia, but it was one of my favorites from when I was younger. I'm sure acquiring the licenses would be quite tough, but that's the Data East game I would love to see the most.

sotnwaffle

Apr 13, 2012
I played this game in the late '90s at a now-defunct arcade called Yellow Brick Road in San Diego and wouldn't mind seeing it as DLC.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Star Wars would be a tough license, but there are two good tables, Data East Star Wars from 1992, and Sega's Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition from 1997, which by themselves they aren't great, but together they make a formidable package. There are also two other Star Wars tables from the 80's which were pretty mediocre, from what I've heard.

Last edited:

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
I played this game in the late '90s at a now-defunct arcade called Yellow Brick Road in San Diego and wouldn't mind seeing it as DLC.

I don't remember that arcade as I was a little more inland. I remember "The Boardwalk" at Parkway Bowl in El Cajon quite well though. My first memories of Pinball (1991 I think) where I played Terminator 2 and Funhouse.

That being said, I don't think I've ever seen a BBB in real life, but love playing the Visual Pinball version.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
To be fair MM has Sex ( forget which damsel) and alchahol ( duke of vermin) references. Not to mention, Elvira is well, Elvira. Those boobs are rated M for mature.

Then again Elvira isn't dancing naked in a tube so you guys may have a point

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Big Bang Bar is cool, and so are Kingpin and Airborne. I love Breakshot [in VP] for its nostalgic EM aesthetics, and Pinball Magic is the only Capcom pin I've had the chance to play IRL, as its production run was much larger that the others. But even with four or five good tables, I feel like FarSight would be wasting their time (and money) acquiring a license from Capcom. Capcom doesn't usually play nice unless they can exploit cross-promotion for their own significant gain, and there isn't much sentimental value attached to tables that [virtually] no one has been able to play in arcades. Their historical value may be another consideration, but if that were the only factor, FarSight would also be pursuing Krull and The Pinball Circus, and that would be an equally massive waste of time/money, in my opinion.

Capcom, Alvin G, Atari, Game Plan, Chicago Coin, Unidesa/Cirsa/Stargame, Zaccaria, Playmatic, Sonic, Maquinas... ten more manufacturers that FarSight COULD get licenses for, but why? Many of them are overseas (Japan, Italy, Spain), and ALL of their best tables had ridiculously low production runs except for something like CC's Stampede which may be too old to care. FS has secured the "Big Six", and that should be enough to reproduce a Top 100 in TPA with options to spare. Furthermore, drawing up agreements with Jersey Jack, Skit-B, or Heighway (the three new 2012 manufacturers), would only produce three additional tables that no one has grown to love yet. Sure, it would allow more of us to try the brand new tables, but it would probably also be a conflict of interest for companies trying to sell physical tables just to break into the business successfully.

Personally, I think we should focus our attention on what we can get out of the Big Six. Scan over the list below and see if you think that we would be missing out on anything grand from the other manufacturers. I think we could do without them in TPA, but I might be the only one who thinks that way. Here are the Top 25 that we would be missing out on, in no particular order:

Pinball Magic [Capcom 1995]
Big Bang Bar [Capcom 1996]
Airborne [Capcom 1996]
Kingpin [Capcom 1996]
Breakshot [Capcom 1996]
Mystery Castle [Alvin G 1993]
Pistol Poker [Alvin G 1993]
Superman [Atari 1979]
Hercules [Atari 1979]
Andromeda [Game Plan 1985]
Cyclopes [Game Plan 1985]
Sharp Shooter II [Game Plan 1983]
Loch Ness Monster [Game Plan 1985]
Agents 777 [Game Plan 1984]
Stampede [Chicago Coin 1977]
Mephisto [Unidesa/Cirsa/Stargame 1987]
Space Ship [Unidesa/Cirsa/Stargame 1986]
Farfalla [Zaccaria 1983]
Star God [Zaccaria 1980]
Fire Mountain [Zaccaria 1980]
KZ-26 [Playmatic 1984]
Mars Trek [Sonic 1977]
Mac Jungle [Maquinas 1987]
The Wizard of Oz [Jersey Jack 2012]
Predator [Skit-B 2013]
Circe's Animal House [Heighway 2013]

I would like to say "I WANT THEM ALL" but I just know that isn't possible. So I'm trying to be realistic, not pessimistic. FarSight is doing great with the licenses they have.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Your argument there is very well thought out, but I question 2 things.

First, does Capcom actually own the licenses to those tables still? Maybe I'm getting confused and interpreting things wrong, but at least with BBB, I thought the reason it was eventually able to be made in it's very limited run was because someone had bought the rights to make the table.

Second, while you are right that BBB has no sentimental value as it was never seen in an arcade, it is widely known in the pinball world as one of those holy grail tables. When PacDude made it for VP, I was so excited and yet I'd never even really heard about it other than rumors. A few plays on it, and I could tell what all the hype was about. To the general player of TPA that would be clueless about BBB, if they were to merely play the demo table, I think it'd quickly turn it into a table purchase.

Like I said though, your argument is well thought out and probably the truth of the matter in terms of not worth just pursuing the license, but figuring out the ROM emulation for so few tables that use it.

BlindSpider11

Jun 26, 2012
FarSight just needs to add the table. Reason being it doesent have a major license let alone any license at all, and the chances of any of us playing BBB in person are pretty rare.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
First, does Capcom actually own the licenses to those tables still? Maybe I'm getting confused and interpreting things wrong, but at least with BBB, I thought the reason it was eventually able to be made in it's very limited run was because someone had bought the rights to make the table.

I'm pretty certain that PMI (Illinois Pinball) just licensed the tables for reproduction to try to meet consumer demand after Capcom Coin-Op's American manufacturing folded. All rights still reverted back to the Japanese arcade/coin-op division, I believe, but Japan has never had a pinball scene to speak of. Instead, they have a government-regulated pachinko/pachislot industry that evolved from the same roots as pinball but still manages to earn $350 billion+ annually, which is why it has become a semi-legalized form of gambling these days. Otherwise, pinball has always been a uniquely American pastime, even if the UK, Spain, and Italy have occasionally shown some cult interest in it, as well. Point is, I think Capcom still owns the rights but licensed it for reproductions in America because it wouldn't make any money off of it otherwise. I suppose FarSight could do the same, but like you said, is it worth figuring out the emulation for so few machines to utilize it?

Second, while you are right that BBB has no sentimental value as it was never seen in an arcade, it is widely known in the pinball world as one of those holy grail tables. When PacDude made it for VP, I was so excited and yet I'd never even really heard about it other than rumors. A few plays on it, and I could tell what all the hype was about. To the general player of TPA that would be clueless about BBB, if they were to merely play the demo table, I think it'd quickly turn it into a table purchase.

I agree that Big Bang Bar is an excellent table, but I don't know if I would put it heads and shoulders above similar games like Elvira and the Party Monsters, Dr. Dude, or The Party Zone. I feel like those all have a similar play style, and we're already getting two of them in the near future. I certainly won't complain if FarSight makes BBB a priority, but if the mature theme, table rarity, or other licensing difficulties prevent it from happening, I think we can still be quite satisfied without it, ya know? Yes, it would sell well in TPA, but I'm just not sure it's worth the trouble.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I think it's safe to say, I'm on the same page as you! Stoked if it did pan out, stoked to have 20 other tables too even if that isn't one of them.

What I really wish would happen for FarSight is what happened for the original Guitar Hero. That first game, all the songs were covers as nobody trusted the game with their originals. After it came out and was a minor success, they had a much easier time signing bands up since the bands could see there was even more money to be made after just licensing the song. Granted, there's really no more money a defunct Williams can actually make because a 25 year old table is suddenly popular again, but you get what I mean, right?

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Agreed on all points. If Twilight Zone and Star Trek are popular with non-backers, I think that would go a long way towards the scenario you're hoping for.

HOW

Feb 21, 2012

Man! You were lucky. Must have been a possible Test-Route machine, as IPDB says Capcom only produced 14 prototype tables. And Gene's PMI run wasn't until 2007. Treasure it. VP Only for me :)
You 'must' remember the MATCH animation? Classic! :D

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts