What controller do you use for PC?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Curious to know what controller everyone is using on their PC. I currently am using the Logitech f710, but I'm not completely happy with it. I chose it because I prefer the DualShock layout over the 360 controller, and I wanted rumble. I don't like that the wireless can act up mid game, usually during multiball it seems. I also don't like that the shoulder buttons are not analogue sensitive.

Yeah, I'm one of those guys that liked to do the half flip, so that I could cradle a ball on the lower flipper but still flip with the upper.

I know some people have said they use their PS3 and PS4 controllers. I downloaded the Better DS3 software for running my PS3 controller, but it screwed up my f710 from communicating with Windows 8.1 then. I heard the PS4 controller is plug and play? I just don't know if my wanting to use analogue buttons is $55 worth of need for me.

Anyway, what does everyone use? Any custom pinball specific setups out there?

p6800

May 17, 2013
360 wireless with adapter for many years. The best pc controller to date.

Never ever has it acted up.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
61A5w579OyL._SL1500_.jpg

thumb_x-arcade_tankstick_07.jpg

It has two pinball buttons on each side so I use the extras for left and right nudge buttons. It's a really comfortable setup that makes it feel a bit more like real pinball than a controller.

And of course it's awesome for arcade and other emulators too.

Last edited:

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I'm using a wired xbox360 controller ...

I didn't know about X-Arcade - Great stuff.
The Solo controller has also Pinball buttons on each side.
solo.jpg

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The only drawback with the solo is it only has 1 pin button on each side so you don't get the extra nudging buttons.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Oh true, there is only one button in the video.
Also bad for tables like BK or HD which require a second button ...
and the nudging ... hard to reach the stick with the thumb ..

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Wireless X360; I agree with the wireless acting up mid-game. Oddly DX9 detects that happening and auto-pauses, DX11 doesn't do that.

I may look at upgrading to an XONE controller when Windows 10 comes out, if the wireless support is better.

p6800

May 17, 2013
What it that "acting up"? I've had zero issues with it. It only disconnects when the batteries go out...

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
What it that "acting up"? I've had zero issues with it. It only disconnects when the batteries go out...

It loses connectivity to the dongle, and I have to reconnect it. It doesn't happen so much with fresh batteries, but once the batteries get to about 50% it starts happening more frequently. Long before the lights start cycling to indicate the batteries are low.

p6800

May 17, 2013
It might sound strange, but mine has not ONCE lost connectivity during a game, not even when the lights are cycling because of low batteries. I'm fairly close to the receiver, at ~ 1 meter max.

Could it be related to some violent shaking?! I remember i had an older controller that had an issue with the battery holder and somehow the contacts could be interrupted. Check if it's all snug... :)

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
It might sound strange, but mine has not ONCE lost connectivity during a game, not even when the lights are cycling because of low batteries. I'm fairly close to the receiver, at ~ 1 meter max.

Oh I'm not far either - 1.5m (or 5ft in "old money"!) at most. The dongle is sitting next to a WiFi dongle as well, not sure if it's interfering. Or maybe it's just a wonky controller. Or dongle. Not sure how I test it out.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I've had a host of connectivity issues with my f710, not the least of which was when it suddenly couldn't pare with the computer for a few weeks! Logitech doesn't seem to care that Windows 8.1 screwed up something. Had to find a workaround through many web searches, but now it works. Mostly.

There will be times, and like I said it seems usually during multiball, where it will either act as if the button is being continually depressed and the flipper remains up, or the more common occurrence where I push the button and it flips a second late. The quick fix is I move a foot to the left or right. The perfect storm of frustration is it happening just as 3 or 4 balls come bouncing on your flippers, they dead pass, I regain control, and then the balls pass through the flipper due to so many being there at the same time.

I do have a wired 360 controller as backup, but it is awkward in my hand. I can't nudge at all with that thing. And then the same problem with the shoulder buttons not being analogue.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
There will be times, and like I said it seems usually during multiball, where it will either act as if the button is being continually depressed and the flipper remains up

I got this constantly with the triggers on my X360 controller, so much so that I re-mapped the flippers to the bumpers. (Annoyingly this mapping is not honored when TPA takes control when you're entering your initials - but only when TPA takes control, if there's a delay - BSD is the best example - then you can still use the bumpers for initial entry for a bit.)

Anyhoo - the trigger thing, I'm beginning to think it's a TPA thing now since you're experiencing it with a different controller. The triggers on the X360 controller are analog - they are officially the "Z-Axis" buttons. And I've not had issues with them in other games, albeit with limited tryouts. Maybe an excuse to start playing GTA again!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Funny, I'm playing GTA III now! Almost finished, then moving on to Vice City.

I tried playing with the triggers before, but it's such a long button press. I need that twitch sensitivity of the should button, plus I like the feel of the 'click'. If I did play using the triggers though, using the analogue stick for nudging would no longer be an issue since in that grip, my thumb is right there for it.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Logitech K120 keyboard :)

I have one of those too....
There's also a dead one sitting on top of one of the storage bins on my desk at work (the S key went completely spongy).
Then there's also the small matter of... well over 10,000 of them sitting my company's various warehouses at the moment!!

SmoothBalls

May 28, 2015
I use a modified Dreamcast stick, i am thinking about drilling 2 holes one either side to give it a even more realistic feel as the casing fits perfectly in both hand :)

Pin-stick_zpsfbq6auch.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

nudnick

Apr 8, 2014
I use 2 keyboards mounted on to the the sides of my home-made cab (both go into USB Hub). I popped out all of the keys that I do not use ... ugly and horribly low budget :cool: ... but the feel is actually really good. I also have xbox360 controller hookup, but almost never use it as it does not come close to the sim feel I get with the keyboard setup.

controller.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts