What is a "ripoff?"

Trackball

Jan 19, 2016
No, I don't mean buying a pinball machine for way too much money.

I first heard the term on No Good Gofers, so I thought it was just a golf term I didn't know about.

However, I just realized that the word is also on the playfield for F-14 Tomcat, at the Yagov Kicker.

Google fails me here. All it does is bring up people who got swindled into buying broken machines.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
No, I don't mean buying a pinball machine for way too much money.

I first heard the term on No Good Gofers, so I thought it was just a golf term I didn't know about.

However, I just realized that the word is also on the playfield for F-14 Tomcat, at the Yagov Kicker.

Google fails me here. All it does is bring up people who got swindled into buying broken machines.

I found this on the freedictionary.com. I googled rippoff and slang together.

rip-off (rĭp′ôf′, -ŏf′)
n. Slang
1. A product or service that is overpriced or of poor quality.
2. Something, such as a film or story, that is clearly imitative of or based on something else.
3. A theft.
4. An act of exploitation.

Does that help? F-14 could be called a ripoff off Top Gun? IMO :D

Trackball

Jan 19, 2016
I guess I wasn't clear enough.

I meant the word "ripoff" in a pinball context.

Doing what you just did didn't exactly help me, which is why I ask here.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
I guess I wasn't clear enough.

I meant the word "ripoff" in a pinball context.

Doing what you just did didn't exactly help me, which is why I ask here.

No you were specific enough [MENTION=5924]Trackball[/MENTION], I just searched wrong.

Try this Steam discussions http://steamcommunity.com/app/238260/discussions/0/540734423626779542/

I think this may help. There is a discussion going on now about ripoff in various pins. Hope I that helped and welcome to the forum.

Trackball

Jan 19, 2016
Well, that does help a little. Thanks.

I knew "The Power" was a running Pat Lawlor joke, but I'd never heard anything about this one.

Still, thanks for the help.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Well, email Stern and ask them to ask Steve Ritchie what it means, and why Pat Lawlor decided to resurrect it ten years later :D

stevevt

Mar 31, 2012
Pat Lawlor referred to 2-ball multiballs in the games he designed (e.g., Whirlwind and Addams Family) as ripoff multiballs because they generally don't last that long and the point values are lower than a 3-ball multiball. He used the actual name Ripoff Multiball in No Good Gofers, Ripley's, and Monopoloy as a nod to this earlier inside joke.

wizard33

Jul 31, 2014
my guess is its when you shoot a fixed ball; exactly like Tiger Saw in ToM. not sure, just a thought.

ZREXMike

Jul 30, 2015
I say look at The Instructions for reference to it Trackball. There should be something that mentions how to get it started & how to achieve the goal or jackpot it scores. :)

Members online

Members online