What is the intentional game design involving post transfers?

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
Preface: What is a post transfer (or post pass)? It's when a ball is trapped on either flipper, then a deliberate attempt to use the nearest post as a surface to rebound from to transfer the ball over to the other flipper. With some playfield designs it's not always an available tool.

Consider, in real life, the post transfer isn't always a simple and safe task.

So I've commented irregular flipper behavoir before (here), I've vaguely commented (here) on how it's changed (since R911, the post pass from either side hasn't been a safe thing to attempt, on PC). Then while attempting to help others with Eight Ball Deluxe (here), I find out mobile users cannot flip as fast as controller users.

I know I've commented in a 'Difficulty thread' that if they removed the safe post transfers that could make it a more skill required game, and I thought that's what had happened since the R911 release however, when I consider what I've learned from trying to get a favorable cradle separation on Frankensteins left flipper, I found the games engine was giving me 2 outcomes for the same [3 frame, and 4 frame] interaction so it went from being a skill based game to being luck based game.

So what exactly is your game design choice?

#Do you intentionally base interaction design around touch screen input lag, making that time frame the standard safe post pass

#Feeling out a new difficulty setting on controller and keyboard users

#Testers got wireless controllers that have bad input lag or aren't that thorough anymore

#___fill in your own___

This post suggests you may not be aware of how far that issue extends.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
Here's some perspective,

I've recorded my screen (60/75Hz) at 60/75fps and my impercise response times are: between 27 to 33.3ms, and 40 to 50ms for my [PS/2] rubberdome keyboard and original playstation dualshock controller connected to a USB adapter respectively (over repeated results). Used the on-screen keyboard and gamepad config screen as my indicators.

(2.5 years ago) the iPhone 5 was at best 75ms, while today with the recent iphone 7 it would be at about half the markets average of 87ms, at 41ms, lowest being the iphone 6s plus at 23ms.

What do these numbers mean in regard to the game being locked at 60FPS?
1 frame is 16.7ms, 2 .. 33.3ms, 3 .. 50ms, 4 .. 66.7ms, 5 .. 83.3ms, 6 .. 100ms.

So to attain the Eight Ball Deluxe ball rollback and railpass: your device needs to have a <50ms response time. Anyone got an iPhone 6S plus or 7 to prove/disprove that you can do the first manuver?
How about Big Hurt: does the ball go basically nowhere when you attempt to post transfer asap?

Last edited:

kaworu

Oct 17, 2016
ok, may be we can start with a fact what real life tables not always have safe post transfer.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
ok, may be we can start with a fact what real life tables not always have safe post transfer.

Consider, in real life, the post transfer isn't always a simple and safe task.

I find it odd that so many [34~35] have the same issue plus the effortless post transfers [36~37] stopped near the tail end of season 5. The last 6 that should be able to post transfer do so unsafely* at all times unlike the other [26~27] where it's either 1 flipper too weak or more rarely [2] both shoot too far up the inlane.

People playing for score have yet to bring up these anomalies, instead they just don't do that move on that table or they micro-nudge to be able to successfully pass and secure it.

*guaranteed to move to the otherside and settle into a trap

If over half the tables work one way, why are others wonky? it's a flipper tuning question, like why can't I hit the skull on the fly from the right without micronudging on no fear, it's a legit shot that can be made on the table.. I've heard.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.