What real-life tables do you want to play on the most?

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
Let's face it, not everyone will be able to get access to every pinball machine in existence. Some are just too rare, too new, too expensive, or too fragile to get the opportunity to play them. What are some of the ones you want to play on for real but, for one reason or another, have never been able to?

Me, the two at the top of the list would definitely be Cactus Canyon and The Wizard of Oz. Cactus Canyon is rare and sought-after, so machines available for public play are few, and any such machines get snapped up quickly by collectors. I actually wanted to play Cactus Canyon before I started playing The Pinball Arcade, as I like western themes, and it looked really interesting. When I played it on The Pinball Arcade I found it has a wicked sense of humor ("Blow his li'l ol' head off!") and is so over-the-top, I love it. On top of that, Cactus Canyon had its own version in the cartoon Gravity Falls called Tumbleweed Terror, featured in the episode "Soos's Really Great Pinball Story" where the kids slam-tilt the machine. This action transports the main characters into the machine itself, where the vindictive talking skull on the playfield attempts to kill them. After watching the episode, I decided to look into Cactus Canyon and found it interesting.
YQY1Nqo.jpg

(You may notice the skull is a triple-reference to the Bart Bros., Rudy, and the Terminator.)

As for Wizard of Oz, it's the only pinball machine on the market with a monitor, and as an artist, I am interested in seeing how Jersey Jack makes use of it. Not that I'm not interested in the playfield and gameplay too, but having a monitor in the backbox is, I feel, something revolutionary and something pinball has needed in a while. As for actually playing the game, it's so complex that watching videos of it online doesn't get me a good idea of how it plays because I have no idea what's going on, and the ball gets lost in the artwork. Probably because of its price, and definitely because of its newness, public machines are also few in number with no known locations in Los Angeles, where the pinball culture here is really centered around private ownership. Since I cannot afford a Wizard of Oz, I don't think I'd have much of a chance to play it in-depth to any degree.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Cactus was at the top of my list too until recently, after visiting the playable ones at the Vegas Pinball Hall of Fame and also at Modern Pinball NYC. Both also have Wizard of Oz. (Playing it in person didn't help me figure out what was going on either though.) You're in LA, you ever get to make Vegas trips?

My current top wishlist is No Fear, which I haven't seen on location for forever. (And also has a talking skull.)

Next is probably Ripley's. I played one years ago but didn't know what was going on and thought the theme was dumb and didn't even know it was a Lawlor, but now have learned it thoroughly from TPA.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Kingpin from Capcom for me. Looks great based on what I can find on YouTube. Have never seen one in person. Always hope to bump into one at a pin show, but so far I've had no luck.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
The Pinball Circus. I saw it at the PHOF in Vegas, but it was during the day and there was a VICIOUS glare at the time, so I just watched others play it, thinking I'll be back sometime. Hasn't happened yet.

P.S. And to top it off, this is the one table I DON'T want in TPA. Given it's major 3 dimensional nature, there's no way it would translate well.

Last edited:

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I can't wait for hobbit and the next lawlor table. Beyond that it is mostly Capcom tables like Big Bang bar and kingpin just because they are so scarce in the wild. And wizard blocks.

N

netizen

The Pinball Circus. I saw it at the PHOF in Vegas, but it was during the day and there was a VICIOUS glare at the time, so I just watched others play it, thinking I'll be back sometime. Hasn't happened yet.

P.S. And to top it off, this is the one table I DON'T want in TPA. Given it's major 3 dimensional nature, there's no way it would translate well.

Not until the holodeck version of TPA comes out at least

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Not until the holodeck version of TPA comes out at least

I think pinball circus could be done but it would be absolutely necessary for precision camera angles and dynamic motion to accurately allow you to see what level you're playing on.

PC.Doctor

Jul 22, 2013
I'd like to try out Diner, Lord of the Rings, and Tales of the Arabian Nights sometime in the future. The Hobbit pinball is a maybe but that wont come out until later in '14.

RagingBull888

Sep 11, 2013
Believe me. If I had a holodeck, I wouldn't be using it to play pinball.

Yeah, oh so very true.

Back on topic, I have had the chance to play The Wizard of Oz and it was pretty entertaining the one game I got to play. I would have earned a replay had they been turned on. It does almost suffer from a case of visual overload but it is a fun game for folks to watch as well as play. I think the table I would most like to play in real life is probably White Water. I would be curious to see how much of my ass it kicks in comparison to my TPA scores. I would also like to play a Cactus Canyon for both the history and the fun factor.

utblick

Feb 14, 2013
Wizard of Oz and Gorgar would be great to play.
I finally managed to play Revenge from Mars recently, fun to test but didn´t like the reflected video on the playfield.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Revenge from Mars I went back to playing the most at MGC. Its just such a fun machine. Very fast play and I thought the reflected video worked perfectly. It was a blast to see your shots impact what the video was doing. Plus the game was pretty generous with extra balls and multiball modes which for me made it even more fun. I'm not sure how the game would go over long term but for the short term I loved it.

WoZ I found difficult to play in a dark room. The LEDs were blazing bright and there's this dark area right above the flippers. Going from super bright to dark made it so difficult for me to follow the ball so it wasn't a fun experience. I hardly could pay attention to the back glass so that wasn't even a factor. Its a neat game to watch but my play experience on it wasn't all that good. I should try it again though as I seem to recall they've made some improvements with the GI in some areas. They had three of them at MGC but ended up skipping playing it due to the lines.

For Cactus Canyon I got to play the Cactus Canyon Continued version which was just fantastic with the extra modes: Drunk multiball where the flippers get reversed, Coyboys vs Aliens a multiball mode which features the UFOs from Attack from Mars, and got to check out the Moonlight Madness mode which was just a wild 5-ball multiball mode that kicks off at midnight.

Big Bang Bar is my most wanted one to play and I should get to do that next month at the Ann Arbor Pinball Museum. They also have a Banzai Run that I've been looking forward to playing that in real life too. But would also love to play a Spy Hunter, which apparently sucks but I loved the arcade game, Apollo 13 for it's 13-ball multiball, and the long shot due to rarity King Kong.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
I've played em all! Well, all the ones I ever wanted to that is. Finally got to play Pinball Circus and Goin Nuts in Vegas last week, was actually fun.

The only table I really want to play but have never even seen one in person.....Oribtor 1. *runs*

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Centaur, Spirit and, most of all, Krull. Never played any of them IRL. I could also add a bunch of Zac tables too because, other than Farfalla, I never played any of them IRL. Guy on pinside said he's bringing a Devil Riders to Allentown next month so I'm looking forward to that in addition to Skip b's Predator.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Never want to miss out on the best of the best. I've already played Addams Family, Banzai Run, and Indiana Jones, but I would also like a chance to play Twilight Zone, Medieval Madness, Attack From Mars, and many others that I can't name right now.

Though, I would like to revisit Pirates of the Caribbean. One of my favorite childhood games. :)

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I've played em all! Well, all the ones I ever wanted to that is. Finally got to play Pinball Circus and Goin Nuts in Vegas last week, was actually fun.

The only table I really want to play but have never even seen one in person.....Oribtor 1. *runs*

The last arcade that was near me had a few oddball pins including an Orbitor 1. They also had a Viper Night Driving, Rescue 911, DE Star Wars and a Humpty Dumpty (yea, the first flipper pin). They all played well and I could have pumped quarters into Orbitor 1 till my heart's content. I spent 50 cents and never touched it again. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.