What version to buy?

Lostboy

Oct 21, 2012
There are too many unanswered questions to decide yet. Will PS4 & XBoxOne allow easy updates to DLC? Will 360 owners get a discount on the XBoxOne version? Will the PC version be the only version with cabinet support?

Ideally, in a years time or so, I'd love to be playing TPA on my cabinet, using the XBoxOne. Bottom line, is that I want the absolute best experience, but the most cost effective (duel monitors for a cabinet should be the biggest cost). With the 360 and PC versions near, and next-gen versions not too far off, I don't know what to get.

doveton

Mar 7, 2013
i'll still be playing on my tablet. for me its so perfect for playing pinball it could have been designed with it in mind

though i would kill for a cabinet in all fairness...

amv71

Feb 29, 2012
It's been exactly my issue since the 360 version fell foul of the legal issues last year.

The 360 is my main platform (I have iOS but have never mastered the nudging so 360 is still the main one for me), and I've been waiting like the rest of us 360 players, since last year, for any news or new DLC. I've held back from jumping to the PS3 in the hope of legal resolutions but boy has it been tempting.

But - since seeing the PS4 demo from E3, I've again thought about jumping platforms - to PS3 - right now. Get the full DLC goodness from PS3 with a view to upgrading to TBA2(?) on the PS4, with the FS discount. Sounds good to me.

But do I want to shell out all over again? And if I do, what if FS announce a release on the XBox1(80)? Certainly in light of the recent announcement by FS that Xbox1 will allow indie self publishing (an announcement which seems to come out before Microsoft announced it themselves?), maybe PBA2 *will* hit the X1.

So after all this, maybe it's worth holding out a bit longer. I intend to upgrade just to play something as stunning as that PS4 demo, but have no idea what platform.

Bah.

Lostboy

Oct 21, 2012
I don't see any of the console versions having cabinet support.

I wonder what the possibility of this would be. Would Sony/MS need to approve the cabinet peripheral? In that case, it would be impossible if cabinets were all custom DIY. And FS won't be making cabinets.

I really wouldn't like to buy a high end computer, just to play TPA on a cabinet. Last time I built a high end computer, it died in 2 years.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I really wouldn't like to buy a high end computer, just to play TPA on a cabinet. Last time I built a high end computer, it died in 2 years.

I don't know if you'd need a high end pc or not but I believe a pc is the only way you'll be playing TPA in a cabinet.

MarkItZeroSmoky

May 26, 2013
Why wouldnt the next gen consoles be able to rotate the view to portrait? I would think that could be possible, being as powerful as they are going to be. Couldnt they just add the coding or whatever/however they do it with droid & iOS? (Im not much of a tech guy, so i really wouldnt know) i think thatd be sweet. I could see people not wanting the hassle of rotating their tele's but i wouldnt mind doing it if i could play in portrait. Just gotta rig some kinda stand. Plus im sure more than a few people would make cabs with that possibility...

Last edited:

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
They could rotate the view easily enough, but for a cabinet you need a second video output for the backglass/DMD. That's available on PC video cards, but not consoles.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I wonder what the possibility of this would be. Would Sony/MS need to approve the cabinet peripheral? In that case, it would be impossible if cabinets were all custom DIY. And FS won't be making cabinets.

It's possible...and if it died in 2 years, it wasn't that high end...my 5 year old laptop should be able to play the PC version decently so you don't need anything that high end, since the second monitor would only handle a backglass and a low resolution display.

They could rotate the view easily enough, but for a cabinet you need a second video output for the backglass/DMD. That's available on PC video cards, but not consoles.

On XBOX 360, you can connect up to 4 systems using a switch and play any of the Forza games (as long as you have multiple copies of the game) with up to 4 monitors. That's three at an angle for a very wide angle view of the road and one as either a rear view or behind you.

MarkItZeroSmoky

May 26, 2013
Doh'! Lol....i forgot about the backglass for cabs...i still think it'd be cool to be able to rotate the view. I only play in portrait on my Droids & would love to be able to do so on my tv. I probably wouldn't even have to rotate it that often, since the majority of my game playing is pinball.

Lostboy

Oct 21, 2012
It's possible...and if it died in 2 years, it wasn't that high end...my 5 year old laptop should be able to play the PC version decently so you don't need anything that high end, since the second monitor would only handle a backglass and a low resolution display.

It was high end enough to play any game at the time with settings maxed (2006-2008). Way too much money spent on it, and when the motherboard died 2 years later, I didn't have the few hundred it would have taken to get a new motherboard, so it collected dust.

I am curious what the specs would require for TPA on max settings. I will need a new laptop in the next year or so, so maybe it won't be so bad, if I can use that.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I'm fairly certain that my aging laptop will play it decently...but i doubt at max settings.

I can play other ports of XBOX games such as GRID, Fallout 3 and the like pretty decently so I'm thinking it will be fine for now.
Like you though i could use some new gear.

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
Has the forward-compatibitly between TPA on the PS3 to PS4 been confirmed by FS? If so, I'm season passing it very soon.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts