Whats the deal with the Challenges?

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
Saw the challenge button and tried out the first one, playing TOTAN for a credit. I exited out after the game was over and went back later and it was reset to 0.0 for total point? Do we need to play all challenges at once? Kinda dumb IMO.

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
As far as I know, yes you must play the tables in one attempt. That's the challenge.

I'm lookin' forward to seein' the challenges on PS3.

Pinetwig

Dec 23, 2013
Exiting out and continue later works on android. Playing the s1 challenge in one go would be quite a challenge indeed.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
It could be that you're hitting this occasional bug where exiting the app is causing it to quit rather than suspend. Other people have noted this happening more with iOS 7; I've certainly seen more application instability across the board (occasional browser crashing on my iPad Air) since it became the norm. It's a bit annoying, but then in console versions of the Gottlieb and Williams collections you also had to do the challenge in one go.

Here's hoping Apple is working on a stability update soon; I suspect trying to run iOS 7 on a couple generations of devices is proving more problematic than they thought.

Eaton Beaver

Jan 25, 2014
I don't think you need to play all tables included in each challenge all at once. I have played two tables in Season One Challenge and come back later and started the third table and my scores for the first two tables played were still there.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I don't think you need to play all tables included in each challenge all at once. I have played two tables in Season One Challenge and come back later and started the third table and my scores for the first two tables played were still there.

Yeah that would be a challenge to even make it through...especially when you get to games like Scared Stiff or Ripley's where you can easily go for 15-20 minutes even as a novice player if you get the right play. If your eyes don't explode, and you played all the tables without failing the point minimum, you beat the challenge!

Eegah

May 12, 2013
It's a bit bugged right now I think -- if I'm freshly launching TPA I have to go to Challenges, then back to the main screen and back to Challenges before it wakes up and realizes I have one in progress.

I'm about halfway through the Williams one now and working through slowly as I've been doing other things this weekend. Set personal bests for MM and NGG so far, woop. Seems to me like it may be a trial balloon for a new tournament format, which a lot of people here have been clamoring for.

I'd like to see some non-score-based challenges too. How quickly can you get Lost in the Zone, or destroy Mars?

Eaton Beaver

Jan 25, 2014
I couldn't pass the 175,000 points in Black Hole in the Season One Challenge in the three credit limit. I am not to great on that table and need to practice on it. On Theatre of Magic in the Season One Challenge I shot my highest game ever on the first credit with 1 billion plus points. One thing I noticed is if you break your high score in the Challenges section it does not appear on your high scores under the My Tables section.

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
Welp. My imterest in the challenges didnt last long. Was in the middle of the williams challlenge and wanted to try one of the others. Little does the user know that clicking new erases what you have already accomplished. Too bad.

Eaton Beaver

Jan 25, 2014
I saw on The Pinball Arcade page on Facebook a few days ago one guy took a screen shot of all challenges completed. I believe he is an older guy from Europe I forget his name but he had some great scores.

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
I just completed the Gottlieb & Stern Challenge. I have no way to compare how I did. Is there a leaderboards for the challenges?

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
I gave up on them. Once I scored 95M on RBION, thought I could do better then blew up the next two games. Then TZ killed me and I lost the challenge. On to HOF points for BK2K and Black Rose for me.

Eegah

May 12, 2013
I got through half of the Williams challenge and had three straight Monster Bash games without cracking 4 million. Pinball is a harsh, cruel mistress.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I don't like having to play all the challenge tables in a row. I might just want to play one or two per day. Please change this.

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
On iOS, it seems to hold your place. But Cirqus Voltaire keeps kicking me out of the ENTIRE game (TPA).

RagingBull888

Sep 11, 2013
I stopped playing them for the time being on Kindle Fire HD because when I exit out of a machine (which does save my place), it completely freezes up my Kindle for about five minutes and makes horrible noises as it tries to finish out.

Eaton Beaver

Jan 25, 2014
I just completed the Gottlieb & Stern Challenge. I have no way to compare how I did. Is there a leaderboards for the challenges?

The only thing I really remember noticing about his completed challenges screen shot was how high his Season One total was. He had a total of like 800+ points for just that one challenge alone. I think he also has been accused of cheating on this forum but I don't know much about the guy.

Pinetwig

Dec 23, 2013
The only thing I really remember noticing about his completed challenges screen shot was how high his Season One total was. He had a total of like 800+ points for just that one challenge alone. I think he also has been accused of cheating on this forum but I don't know much about the guy.

You are confusing MOO with -SVB-. MOO's a Cheater and changed his nick to -SVB- some time ago. I got 900+ points on s1 challenge myself and I have no clue how to cheat.

Eaton Beaver

Jan 25, 2014
No the guy that posted the completed all challenges screenshot wasn't MOO it was a older European guy who's real name began with an F and I think his last name began with the letter H. Either way I saw on a different thread on this forum FH got called on a bogus score and had it taken off of the leaderboards. I think it was the top leaderboard players thread in general discussion. Good shooting by the way on Season One Challenge Pinetwig. MOO -SVB- also posts on Facebook with the username Bill Smith and is usually on The Pinball Arcade page.

Last edited:

Members online

Members online