Whats your gaming set up?

Deathtickle

Dec 10, 2012
Just curious what people have for there gaming experience. I read posts about various problems people have had ; and my subjective perspective I have had none. Just wondered if people would list the equipment they play on; with the model numbers and how happy/unhappy they are.

PS3 Slim 160 gig
TV - Toshiba Smart TV , #55TL515U ,55" LED ,240hz , 3D , 1080p
Stereo - Kenwood, # VR 206 ,5.1 (really old but still works great) , self powered 300 RMS sub

No lag in any game I play from Hockey to COD to PBA. I dont ever turn the TV to 'Game Mode' either however that is a option.

When I bought the TV I brought my PS3 to the store and hooked it up to see for myself, to go beyond the "reviews" to make sure all was well. At the stores that wouldn't let me do a test I just left.

I do have a vast knowledge in the field of computers & electronics. The technology is very different from a Sony and a Samsung to a LG and a Toshiba (et al). The 3D technology is very different. Also the ways they achieve the 240hz is different and so on.

Please, I dont want to debate things like the Sony 240 is better cause Toshiba 'cheats' to get 240. Or passive technology isnt as good and it cuts the res down. I just want to see what people have and are happy with, and what people have that are not. Game on!

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
modest set up here - but happy with it and no problems.

Xbox 360 - the old white one. Connected to TV via HDMI. Xbox is also used for netflix viewing and sometimes as a media extender.
TV - LG 27" LCD 1080p M2762D : this is my main lounge TV - plenty big enough for my tastes.
Stereo - cheapy Creative 2.1 speaker set.

I have no interest in 3D. But I do have an HTPC running windows media center for all my TV needs.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
42" Panasonic plasma, with an X360, PS3, Wii, Xbox1, PS2, SNES, PC Engine, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, and a NES, all hooked up to the same TV via split cables and a switch box. Have a bunch of other consoles, but those aren't hooked up at the moment. :)

Also, a generic JAMMA arcade cabinet and a White Water.

Deathtickle

Dec 10, 2012
Nice collection there Sumez. Plasma's are nice to game on. I have many old systems. However I only have the Wii , PS3, a tablet and a Sega Saturn hooked up always to the TV. I still play DecAthlete on the Saturn with my friends a few times a year, something we have done together since University. Thats dam near 20 years ago now and still just as fun.

Bass Mummy

Jul 26, 2012
I play TPA on my Nexus 7.

Most other games I play on my PC, which I built and try to upgrade on at least a semi-regular basis. I'm looking forward to being able to play TPA on my PC as well.

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
GallaxyTab 2 10.1"
I play TPA purely in portrait mode, set to shake-nudge, holding the tablet at the lower end... often resting the tablet on either knee or the edge of a table/desk.
For a better soundexperience I may on occasion hook up Senheisers earplugs to the headphone-jack.

As for other gaming, I have a PC with a 3.1GHZ AMD quad-core CPU, and a GeForce GPU; GTX 460 (2GB)... this is a slightly dated mid-range beast, and to top that off a 23.5" 120Hz 3D monitor. Sound comes from a cheapo soundcard feeding two CREATIVE satelitespeakers and their buddy subwoofer.
I use a Logitech gamepad for racingames and arcade-stuff, and mouse/keyboard for shooters or RPG's.

Last edited:

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
40 inch 1080p Sony Bravia (32 inch for bedroom). 5.1 320 watt Sony Receiver. Xbox 360 PS3 Mac PC iPad3.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
TF300T, LG Cinema3D 22in monitor, HDMI, USB/BT Joystick Center and a Wii Classic Controller. Shure IEM dual driver 425s for the sounds.

If I am having a lunch break, I play on this configuration.

Otherwise it is portrait play with in-built speaker.

I also have tried to play on the Sony Bravia 42in in the lounge (while the family was all out) and the overscan was atrocious.

iguanarama

Dec 20, 2012
An iPod touch 4th gen in landscape mode -- landscape because then my thumbs don't obscure the gameplay area. I dream of larger screens... :)

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
TF300T, LG Cinema3D 22in monitor, HDMI, USB/BT Joystick Center and a Wii Classic Controller. Shure IEM dual driver 425s for the sounds.

If I am having a lunch break, I play on this configuration.

Otherwise it is portrait play with in-built speaker.

I also have tried to play on the Sony Bravia 42in in the lounge (while the family was all out) and the overscan was atrocious.

The Bravia TVs are set to overscan out if the box. Make sure in your picture settings it is set to full pixel.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Pioneer Elite Pro510 HD RPTV, 53" - 12 years old, can't do 720p, and the overscan is so bad, it literally cuts off the top 3rd of the DMD. At the time I bought it though, there wasn't anything better on the market. Only set me back $5500. Ah, to not be married nor have a kid again!!

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 7.1 THX receiver - Well, I only have the speakers for 5.1; they are Boston Acoustics Micro 90s and despite being 18 years old, they sound great. They're a little small for the room I have them in now, but like getting a new TV, I can't afford the B&W speakers I really want.

PS3 slim, 120 gig - the workhorse, as it is my only Blu-Ray player and now my DVD player after my Pioneer DVD player up and died. And yes, I play games on it too! WiFi hook-up.

PS2 slim - the former workhorse, still hooked up on the off chance I need a DDR fix. More recently, it got used to introduce my 7 year old to Kingdom Hearts.

Wii - technically it's not mine, but my buddy's. I'm where he dumps consoles he no longer uses, but will one day sell on eBay for big bucks. Like he just did with his TurboGrafix Duo. This also is hooked up through WiFi

Xbox 360 - again, my buddy's. I used it to play Portal 2 and try out Mass Effect. I really am offended by it being in my rack. No internet love for this, as it doesn't have WiFi. Lame.

Sony Laserdisc player - yep, hooked up and still gets the occasional use. You may laugh, but I have the original non special edition versions of Star Wars, so there! I do love the boxes some of the discs came in too.

VCR - only reason it's still in the rack is cause of the clock. I know, right?

Dish Network DVR receiver - I don't think I could ever go back to not having a DVR. Best invention ever.

I also have some Pioneer wireless 5.1 headphones that are awesome. Bought 'em when my boy was a baby so I could still crank the volume on movies, and the surround effect is incredible. Man did I get my money's worth out of them.

481162_383651665005024_1670650436_n.jpg

Only thing missing from the photo is the Xbox. It sits under the PS3 now.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Mine:

- Samsung 50" plasma, I forget the exact model. 720p but looks fantastic.

- Vizio SB200 soundbar

- PS3

- Sony Pulse Elite headphones - generally used for movies and shooters only

Nothing too extreme but it works well. The TV is now 4 years old and still going strong. Got a pair of them the day before the Super Bowl in 2009 for $810 each. A total steal. My next set will be something in the 70" or larger range.

The PS3 is using a LAN connection rather than wifi. That beast (160 gig slim model) gets a ton of use from games and Netflix.

Tabe

Butterkins

Apr 6, 2012
Got a 50" Viera plasma. Beautiful picture for movies, but couldn't recommend one for gaming.

Has major image-retention and burn-in issues. Even using the image-retention mode and tools regularly.

You start to value games like Minecraft, which have HUD opacity options...

Butterkins

Apr 6, 2012
Is the image retention and or burn in permanent? Or does it just takes a while to go away?

Well, it may not be permanent, but let's put it this way: several months after I stopped play the game, I still have Borderlands 2 HUD showing up on my screen...

Now, I really did hammer Borderlands 2, but still. It's really something to take in to consideration if you play the same games a lot.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
I've been running Panasonic Plasma for years now, and the previous 42" model i had, never had any burn-in at all.
Unfortunately it did have another production fault that didn't show until after 2 years, so eventually I bought a new much cheaper model, that's still a Panasonic 42" Plasma, and the image is just as great. It would take a lot of convincing to get me to step down to an "LED" TV from here.
The new model that I'm using does have some burn-in however, but it's never permanent, and fortunately only shows on completely dark areas.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts